Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 08:41 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynTurk View Post
Not gonna read all 13 pages but a lot of these addictions began from doctor prescribed drugs.. they switch to heroin because it's cheaper.. I know a few people who actually got prescribed to roxy's and etc.. because of surgery and then they switched to heroin because they couldn't afford the pills anymore that doctors have put them on.

To the other ones who just started heroin.. yea they're just junkies.
Oh addiction is the same no matter how you started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 09:08 AM

15,848 posts, read 14,479,382 times
A big question is, did they get hooked because they were legitimately using the drugs for treating the surgical pain, and directly developed an addiction, or did they enjoy the effect of the opiates, kept using them for that reason after the surgery healed up, and got addicted that way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynTurk View Post
Not gonna read all 13 pages but a lot of these addictions began from doctor prescribed drugs.. they switch to heroin because it's cheaper.. I know a few people who actually got prescribed to roxy's and etc.. because of surgery and then they switched to heroin because they couldn't afford the pills anymore that doctors have put them on.

To the other ones who just started heroin.. yea they're just junkies.

Old 09-14-2016, 09:22 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,300,923 times
Why are we excusing people who abuse prescription pills? I have had two surgeries. At no time did I ever think to consume the pain medication beyond when it was actually required for pain. My husband had a major surgery. As soon as his pain wasn't as severe he trashed the pills and took OTC pain medications. The doctor told him that his pain medication is highly addictive and he was taking no chance.

There are people with chronic illness that leaves them in severe pain who require these prescription pills. This is usually not the case for your run of the mill pill popping junkies.
A pill popping junkie, a crack head, cocaine addict are cut from the same cloth and should be treated the same.

Old 09-17-2016, 01:17 PM

738 posts, read 585,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Everyone is consigned to death the day they are born.
Not at 23.

Old 09-17-2016, 01:18 PM

738 posts, read 585,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
No one does time for small amounts of weed, yes. Yes marijuana is much less risky than shooting heroin and it isn't chemically processed like cocaine.
Unless they're black or Hispanic and can't afford a lawyer.

Old 09-17-2016, 06:57 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
A big question is, did they get hooked because they were legitimately using the drugs for treating the surgical pain, and directly developed an addiction, or did they enjoy the effect of the opiates, kept using them for that reason after the surgery healed up, and got addicted that way?
One sad tale that began with prescription drug abuse: Grieving mom of heroin OD victim: 'I just couldn't reach him' | SILive.com

Meanwhile the body count on Staten Island continues to rise.
Police identify body found in woods in Arden Heights | SILive.com

Old 09-18-2016, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
One sad tale that began with prescription drug abuse: Grieving mom of heroin OD victim: 'I just couldn't reach him' | SILive.com

Notice how in the article of where a young white man overdoses, it was mentioned that he had a mother, that she had a job (nurse) that he was in the military, etc. It mentioned he was a loving person to his sister and his friends, and that his mother tried to reach him and could not.

Now mind you Black and Hispanic addicts who overdose, are evil villains who crawled out of the earth who either don't have parents or other relatives, don't have friends, or if they do interact with people they are bad people. The issue is the inconsistency and the hypocrasy along racial lines involved.

This young white man started buying Xanax on the street at age 15, so this isn't a case of him becoming a raving addict because his doctor prescribed it to him. Though on a larger scale, clearly this epidemic was created by the medical industry and this isn't the only drug epidemic that was created by the medical industry.

Old 09-18-2016, 11:27 AM

19,048 posts, read 13,964,273 times
You're comparing different media though, that's why this is a laughable concept.

The Staten Island Advance is a local paper, addressing local issues (not to well honestly). They serve a specific and limited audience, and as such, will cater to that audience. You guys want to complain about a wider-ranging issue on this topic, then address latger outlets that cover mass media. If CNN is talking about "innocent white boys compared to "black predators", then you have a point. Using the Staten Island Advance as some litmus test of racism is just laughable.

Old 09-18-2016, 12:56 PM

15,848 posts, read 14,479,382 times
The first one goes to my point. He never had a legitimate medical use for the prescriptions he was abusing. He got them on the black market for recreational use, and got hooked. He was a voluntary addict.

The entirety of the situation in the second link is undetermined (this could be a murder or suicide, no real info yet.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

Old 09-18-2016, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
You're comparing different media though, that's why this is a laughable concept.

The Staten Island Advance is a local paper, addressing local issues (not to well honestly). They serve a specific and limited audience, and as such, will cater to that audience. You guys want to complain about a wider-ranging issue on this topic, then address latger outlets that cover mass media. If CNN is talking about "innocent white boys compared to "black predators", then you have a point. Using the Staten Island Advance as some litmus test of racism is just laughable.
Not really. Considering Giuliani had a huge base of support in Staten Island, the white borough in the city, I don't think the writers would have written such a sympathetic article about a poor person who OD from the housing projects in Staten Island. A lot of care was taken to explain his mother was a nurse, and that he was a former soldier. The writer wanted to build up sympathy for white addicts in Staten Island.

I wonder what was the attitude of the writer on Eric Garner, a man killed by the police in a confrontation over lucys.

Keep in mind the white kid who died had been an addict since he was 15, had gotten kicked out of the military, and quite clearly hadn't worked in awhile. I'm not demonizing him, but all those quotes in the article about how wonderful he was to his sisters and how he always talked to his mother were clearly meant to create sympathy for him and for people like him (white people suffering from opoids). If the Staten Island Advance writes such an article profiling a non white addict, I would stand corrected and admit I am wrong. Please notify me if/when they do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City