Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 06:35 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times

Advertisements

Just to add to what I said yesterday - I thought the Ellis Island Museum was very interesting the first time I was there (shortly after it first opened in 1990). Am returning to explore it in more depth. There's a new "hard hat tour" of the Museum which looks pretty interesting to me (takes you through areas that are closed to the public). Unfortunately - my husband has some issues walking - so it's not our cup of tea. But it might be yours.

When it comes to the Statue of Liberty - don't know what your plans might be. If you want to go to the top - you have to buy tickets/make reservations well in advance. When I bought our Ellis Island tickets a couple of weeks ago - the recording said the "Crown" was sold out until November.

I have a few more suggestions about your plans. First - it seems to me you're spending too much time looking at the outside of buildings. I would see at least one or two museums. There are dozens in New York. Some are huge - some are small. Many are art museums - but others aren't. Do you have any particular museum interests? If not - I would suggest going to one or two of the large iconic museums. Like the Met - the Museum of Modern Art - the Museum of Natural History.

If you're interested in seeing a show - take a look at the prices. They will often make what you think are expensive restaurants look relatively cheap. I see that you live in Sacramento. Don't know what your show scene is like there. I live in a relatively small metro area - JAX - and we get all the "famous" shows down here eventually. And the tickets are a fraction of NY prices. So we generally don't go to shows in New York. We sometimes make an exception for a play we know will never make it down to our neck of the woods.

Macy's for shopping is just kind of "blah". You have Macy's in Sacramento. Pick something more exotic/interesting. If only for "window shopping". If your wife likes chocolate - I recommend this place (the store at Madison & 78th Street):

Chocolate boutique on Madison Avenue, New York - La Maison du Chocolat

Do spend some time reading about/making reservations at good restaurants. New York is a great eating town. High end - low end - everything in between. All (ethnic) flavors. It's worth your while to do some homework to find good places (and avoid often over-priced "tourist traps").

Overall - like most really big cities - there's so much to do in New York that you couldn't do it in 3 months - much less 3 days. So we always try to do a few things well - to explore in a little depth - rather than chasing our tails all over the place just to check things off a list. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 06:43 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I have a few more suggestions about your plans. First - it seems to me you're spending too much time looking at the outside of buildings. I would see at least one or two museums. There are dozens in New York. Some are huge - some are small. Many are art museums - but others aren't. Do you have any particular museum interests? If not - I would suggest going to one or two of the large iconic museums. Like the Met - the Museum of Modern Art - the Museum of Natural History.

The Metropolitan Museum of Art and the American Museum of Natural History have suggested contributions rather than fixed admissions. So one can pay what one wishes to enter them. I believe that the Museum of Modern Art only has that policy on Fridays after 4 PM.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:45 AM

P.S. I wouldn't rule out stadium tours. We did this one in Madrid earlier this year and liked it (even though we don't know beans about soccer):

https://www.expedia.com/things-to-do...MNyRoCxTTw_wcB

But the Yankee stadium tour doesn't seem to get particularly terrific reviews:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/yankee-stadium-tours-bronx

Wouldn't go out of my way to the Bronx just to tour the stadium. OTOH - if I were going to the Bronx for another reason (the Bronx zoo - the botanical gardens) and was a big deal Yankees fan - I might consider it.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
The Metropolitan Museum of Art and the American Museum of Natural History have suggested contributions rather than fixed admissions. So one can pay what one wishes to enter them. I believe that the Museum of Modern Art only has that policy on Fridays after 4 PM.
Yes - that seems to be the case:

Free Museum Days or Pay What You Wish - NYC-ARTS

OTOH - some museums that are "free/pay what you wish" will charge you an additional fee for various special exhibits.

This is our only "must-see" exhibit this trip:

Diane Arbus: In the Beginning | The Metropolitan Museum of Art

But that is our taste. The OP should take a look around and see what's of interest to him/his wife. Robyn

Old 09-08-2016, 07:41 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,692,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
P.S. I wouldn't rule out stadium tours. We did this one in Madrid earlier this year and liked it (even though we don't know beans about soccer):

https://www.expedia.com/things-to-do...MNyRoCxTTw_wcB

But the Yankee stadium tour doesn't seem to get particularly terrific reviews:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/yankee-stadium-tours-bronx

Wouldn't go out of my way to the Bronx just to tour the stadium. OTOH - if I were going to the Bronx for another reason (the Bronx zoo - the botanical gardens) and was a big deal Yankees fan - I might consider it.
As a big baseball fan & somebody who has done a couple tours myself it was interesting to read the reviews. In fact I appreciate you posting this as I probably will reconsider going on one myself.

When I toured Petco we got to go into the dug out, press box, the field, Dug out club, and other places that a regular game ticket will get you but it was nice to see when it's less busy.

Dodger Stadium....press box, field, dug out, Dug out club, old visitor club house, meeting room, trophy area that leads to the team club house (which we saw a couple players walk by during that time).

$20 tour at Yankee stadium (via online) isn't that expensive but not sure I'd waste the time if I can do most during a regular game. Most of the time during tours they want you there 30 minutes prior so the question you might ask yourself is taking the train up to the Bronx, getting to the stadium, a so so tour. Is it worth 2+ hours of your time when you could be doing something else.

Old 09-08-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
As a big baseball fan & somebody who has done a couple tours myself it was interesting to read the reviews. In fact I appreciate you posting this as I probably will reconsider going on one myself.

When I toured Petco we got to go into the dug out, press box, the field, Dug out club, and other places that a regular game ticket will get you but it was nice to see when it's less busy.

Dodger Stadium....press box, field, dug out, Dug out club, old visitor club house, meeting room, trophy area that leads to the team club house (which we saw a couple players walk by during that time).

$20 tour at Yankee stadium (via online) isn't that expensive but not sure I'd waste the time if I can do most during a regular game. Most of the time during tours they want you there 30 minutes prior so the question you might ask yourself is taking the train up to the Bronx, getting to the stadium, a so so tour. Is it worth 2+ hours of your time when you could be doing something else.
The Real Madrid stadium tour had things like that and other stuff too. Like multimedia presentations. I probably wouldn't have done the tour if I had to pay "a la carte" - but it was an included attraction on our Madrid Card - so I figured what the heck. And had a surprisingly enjoyable time.

When it comes to New York - there is honestly so much to do. And some of the best things do take time. I think the Bronx Zoo is probably a better bet than this stadium tour assuming you're ok going to the Bronx and like zoos. Ditto with the Botanical Gardens (although I think the zoo is better).

The OP has to put his personal imprint on his trip. Deciding what he likes/wants to do - as opposed to just crossing things off someone else's "punch list". You have to leave some time to explore too. Maybe 10 years ago - we were wandering through Washington Square (in Greenwich Village) on a weekend - and my husband decided to play chess with one of those guys in the park who play for money. Just to see how good they are. He found out they're pretty darn good . Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City