Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 02:20 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,278,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Yes to fight/deter crime in high risk areas. Fighting crime isn't optional unless you want the thugs to take over. It's rather funny that people on this forum talk about how some neighborhoods are so crime ridden and then essentially complain when measures are taken to reduce crime.

point

_________

your head

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 02:21 PM

857 posts, read 1,200,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
You know what they say when you assume... Why shouldn't I be allowed to care about where city resources are being wasted? A mayor who has no idea how to manage this city from every perspective and I'm not supposed to have an opinion or care. Keep dreaming.

the city already wastes money on irrelevant things and i promise you the labor day parade is not one of them......stop using your personal dislike of the parade and trying to convince everyone to hate the parade just bc you do.....dont like dont go simple as that......i dont care for the st patricks day parade and most of the other festivals but there are many people who enjoy them and spend alot of money at them......so im not so pompous and self righteous enough to cancel them just because i personally dont care for them......plus WIADCA (the org who conducts the parade) uses fundraisers and corporate sponsorships to pay for most of it anyway so the city money is mostly allocated to the police presence and the sanitation dept.......paying them to do what their supposed to do anyway......if the city can pay for police to have all kinds of gadgets and for them to be a borderline military force and if it paid for them to conduct stop and frisk, something that really didnt deter crime considering most of the ppl stopped and frisked didnt have or do anything illegal (and it was ruled unconstitutional) them im sure one day of police security will not kill the budget. stop overexaggerating and a sit your corny arse down.

Old 09-06-2016, 06:34 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,329,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Ending the parade wont stop the shootings that regularly go on there anyway.

Bingo. Cancelling the parade isn't going to stop the gun violence that happens within these communities. Odds are someone probably would get shot during a summer holiday weekend, like Labor Day, regardless of Carnival celebrations. People ranting about cancelling the parade (mind you they don't even attend the parade events) are getting upset at the result of the violence, not the cause of it. If the parade is cancelled and someone is still shot and killed over Labor Day, are the people calling for the cancellation of the parade still going to be ranting an raving about the gun violence with "you people"? Perhaps, but then one sees that it wasn't the parade events that CAUSED the gun violence. Cancelling the parade does not solve the underlying problem.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:28 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Bingo. Cancelling the parade isn't going to stop the gun violence that happens within these communities. Odds are someone probably would get shot during a summer holiday weekend, like Labor Day, regardless of Carnival celebrations. People ranting about cancelling the parade (mind you they don't even attend the parade events) are getting upset at the result of the violence, not the cause of it. If the parade is cancelled and someone is still shot and killed over Labor Day, are the people calling for the cancellation of the parade still going to be ranting an raving about the gun violence with "you people"? Perhaps, but then one sees that it wasn't the parade events that CAUSED the gun violence. Cancelling the parade does not solve the underlying problem.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-06-2016, 09:37 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,476,108 times
Tiarah Poyau was hot!

Old 09-07-2016, 10:03 AM

588 posts, read 947,428 times
As Curtis Sliwa said, its time to cancel J’Ouvert. Stop trying to be pc.

Old 09-07-2016, 12:03 PM

8,689 posts, read 11,076,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Agreed, if anything, I think teachers may get paid MORE to teach in poor schools, or get other incentives.
I believe all teachers get paid the same. There is always stronger demand for the poorly performing schools. The goal is to get tenured in a good school.

Old 09-07-2016, 12:09 PM

8,689 posts, read 11,076,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperQuinn View Post
Nope I am correct. You would think that the poorer schools would as the "richer" schools can raise the needed funds but nope - poorer schools are funded less. The funding between District 13, 14 and 15 are much higher than District 19 and 23.
post some proof.

Raising funds is different than funding by government (NYC, NYS or even the feds). The govt. will help out the poorer schools a bit. I believe the NYT once had an article where some better areas like Park Slope could raise a lot of money for the public schools....there was some stink about how unfair it is.

I did a quick google:

NY Times Series Highlights Inequities in PTA Fundraising

School PTAs soak rich parents for $10,000 ‘donations’ | New York Post

Old 09-07-2016, 12:25 PM

50,269 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
post some proof.

Raising funds is different than funding by government (NYC, NYS or even the feds). The govt. will help out the poorer schools a bit. I believe the NYT once had an article where some better areas like Park Slope could raise a lot of money for the public schools....there was some stink about how unfair it is.

I did a quick google:

NY Times Series Highlights Inequities in PTA Fundraising

School PTAs soak rich parents for $10,000 ‘donations’ | New York Post
I don't see how it's unfair. These people are involved in their community. They want $ to go to their kid's schools. They are the ones out there doing the fund raising. Why would someone who lives in a wealthy area donate money to a poor area when their kids don't go to school there. I understand it's hard to get $ from fund raisers in poorer areas but nothing is keeping people from actually doing fund raising.

Old 09-07-2016, 12:42 PM

431 posts, read 659,586 times
Last time I went to the parade their was a shooting and I was almost trampled on. I was so scared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City