Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 04:12 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,148,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
This is just pure nonsense.
Sure the truth hurts because it doesn't fit the way you people want to rewrite history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 04:14 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,701,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
This is just pure nonsense.
So what is your take if it's nonsense. Please explain.

Old 09-05-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
Numerous studies have shown that even though blacks and whites use drugs as the same rates...it's blacks who are targeted the most for non violent drug crimes.

Crime is always disproportionately from poor urban areas. Take about any country in the world and most of the crime in urban areas is larger than the mean.

If you're not aware in Europe there's also heavy concern of children of poor immigrants turning to crime. I won't even mention historic policies and implications. People like to gloss over these...which necesarily isn't ok, but some will just get the impression that I'm trying to creating a cry me river sob story for criminals.
This person is not understanding that, even after the article that the person used stated, black people are more likely to be targeted and convicted by our judicial system. Facts only exist when it caters to their beliefs

Old 09-05-2016, 04:15 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Yes, but black people are a relatively small minority in America and are disproportionately involved in violent crime, far above their proportion in the general population. (Yes, it's true their victims are usually other black people. Does that make it okay?)

We just theorized above that many of the gangs in Brooklyn are first generation immigrant kids of hard-working immigrant Caribbean parents, many of them educated.
So it's not "generations of disenfranchised members of a community."
That can't be the excuse.
While you're merely stating facts, I say be careful with how you present them. After all, at the end of the day, those black Americans who are involved in violent crime represent a small, SMALL percentage of the overall black population in this country. So, while blacks are disproportionately represented in violent offender and victims statistics, the overwhelming majority of blacks have nothing to do with that.

Old 09-05-2016, 04:16 PM

You think a black man would have got 3 months for raping/sexually assaulting white woman and still be labeled a "good kid". You must be smoking something good.

Old 09-05-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
While you're merely stating facts, I say be careful with how you present them. After all, at the end of the day, those black Americans who are involved in violent crime represent a small, SMALL percentage of the overall black population in this country. So, while blacks are disproportionately represented in violent offender and victims statistics, the overwhelming majority of blacks have nothing to do with that.
Also to add crime also has been steadily declining in cities for years.

Old 09-05-2016, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Also to add crime also has been steadily declining in cities for years.
They think black neighborhoods are like Medelin during Escobar and Cali cartel times. Chicago needs a lot of work but more employment of black youth and better schools would help

Old 09-05-2016, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
They think black neighborhoods are like Medelin during Escobar and Cali cartel times. Chicago needs a lot of work but more employment of black youth and better schools would help

Jobs and education are needed absolutely. You'll just get the social justice warrior label for pointing this out. And I'm 100% all for involved parents in the lives of their children as they say for the people who use that argument.

Also, people in Medellin need jobs or some type of skills to advance too unless they wouldn't have been involved in the drug trade.

We have long way to go before the crime and drug problem gets resolved.

Old 09-05-2016, 05:03 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,599,527 times
Quote:
Numerous studies have shown that even though blacks and whites use drugs as the same rates...it's blacks who are targeted the most for non violent drug crimes.
I am aware of that.

But I'm talking about violent crimes.

Old 09-05-2016, 05:05 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,599,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post

Of course I am aware of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City