Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 06:20 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Where do you live?

Best I can recall - Wantagh and a lot/most of Long Island back in the 50's was farmland. My father was a (single family) home builder and that's one reason we moved out there. We moved from Wantagh to southern New Jersey in 1963. So my father could build houses there. Again - the area was mostly farmland when we moved there.

Neither area had (m)any houses from the 20's/30's best I can recall. Houses from that era (or earlier) in the NYC metro area (and lots of other metro areas too - including the one where I live now) are mostly in the older "close in" suburbs.* Nice if you're a DIY type and/or have lots of money for "rehab". But definitely not my cup of tea. OTOH - a tract suburb home from the 50's or 60's wouldn't be my cup of tea either. Especially not at my age.

FWIW - our hotel room had a view of this condo:

https://www.cityrealty.com/nyc/centr...ark-west/30283

It's where I'd like to live if I lived in NYC. Assuming I came into an extra $5-10-15-20+ million dollars . Robyn

*Close in is of course relative. Where I live - "close in" is like 2 miles from downtown (and it's a pretty awful downtown). In New York and other cities up north - you're probably talking (a lot) more in terms of distance.
Baldwin, I think it's about 26 mules away from midtown Manhattan. And 7 miles away from the border of NYC, which at that point is the outskirts and suburban for NYC standards. Houses from the 10s to the 30s seem to be very common, if not the norm in South Shore Nassau until you go past Freeport.

My house is from 1935, and we moved in about 4 years ago. It didn't need any fixing, but my mom wanted the kitchen redone.

The newer construction (not sure how new exactly) in my town tends to be ugly splanches. My section is mostly houses from the 30s and it's very cozy looking.

We were discussing NYC apartments before, and yes those tend to be older too, my uncle lives in a luxury apartment in Chelsea built in the 20s (if I'm not mistaken) and it's very nice, it has been remodeled though.

NYC is a very old city and has been built up for quite some time, and most of the residential buildings are probably 60-70+ years old.

You will almost never see anyone on this board specify "newer construction" as a preference, in contrast to the boards of other cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2016, 09:25 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Baldwin, I think it's about 26 mules away from midtown Manhattan. And 7 miles away from the border of NYC, which at that point is the outskirts and suburban for NYC standards. Houses from the 10s to the 30s seem to be very common, if not the norm in South Shore Nassau until you go past Freeport.

My house is from 1935, and we moved in about 4 years ago. It didn't need any fixing, but my mom wanted the kitchen redone.

The newer construction (not sure how new exactly) in my town tends to be ugly splanches. My section is mostly houses from the 30s and it's very cozy looking.

We were discussing NYC apartments before, and yes those tend to be older too, my uncle lives in a luxury apartment in Chelsea built in the 20s (if I'm not mistaken) and it's very nice, it has been remodeled though.

NYC is a very old city and has been built up for quite some time, and most of the residential buildings are probably 60-70+ years old.

You will almost never see anyone on this board specify "newer construction" as a preference, in contrast to the boards of other cities.
That's interesting.
Why do you think New Yorkers don't prefer newer construction, whereas people in other cities do?

Old 09-17-2016, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
That's interesting.
Why do you think New Yorkers don't prefer newer construction, whereas people in other cities do?
I think cities outside of the Northeast tend to be sprawl cities, and the older construction there (which really isn't that old) might not have aged as well. Whereas Greenwich Village's buildings are a million years old and are timeless.

Also, rents are lower pretty much everywhere else in the US, so they can afford to be pickier.

Old 09-17-2016, 10:27 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,300,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
That's interesting.
I love the charm and the character of older homes. I hate cookie cutter shiny homes that looks as if it could be anywhere from Ohio to Florida.

A house having 'character' is the first thing on my list of must haves and then a basement. This is why true English Tudors make me swoon.

Old 09-17-2016, 10:28 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
I think cities outside of the Northeast tend to be sprawl cities, and the older construction there (which really isn't that old) might not have aged as well. Whereas Greenwich Village's buildings are a million years old and are timeless.

Also, rents are lower pretty much everywhere else in the US, so they can afford to be pickier.
Some of the old buildings in NYC tend to have features that they don't make that much anymore. These buildings as long as they are structurally sound can be renovated and upgraded.

I think New Yorkers at all levels are willing to pay for well maintained buildings, but a building doesn't have to be NEW to be well maintained.

New construction in NYC tends to be in former industrial neighborhoods that were underutilized. In other neighborhoods they mostly renovate existing buildings. Some former schools have been turned into apartments, and lofts are former warehouses that have been turned into apartments. Even factories like Domino Sugar Factory are being repurposed.

I think in NYC unless an apartment building is structurally unsound or for some reason just not viable, the trend is towards renovation (in places like Hells Kitchen all new high rises were mostly built on former parking lots, gas station, or other mostly empty real estate as city zoning preserves the tenements. Ditto for the LES).

Old 09-17-2016, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
I love the charm and the character of older homes. I hate cookie cutter shiny homes that looks as if it could be anywhere from Ohio to Florida.

A house having 'character' is the first thing on my list of must haves and then a basement.
The new construction I see in Brooklyn and Queens is god awful sometimes

Chrome railings are probably the worst feature these homes contain

Old 09-17-2016, 10:56 PM

Quote:
The new construction I see in Brooklyn and Queens is god awful sometimes

Chrome railings are probably the worst feature these homes contain
They look atrocious and are poorly built. I want to scream wwwhhhyyyyyyy every time I see those god awful chrome railings on any house and those shiny balusters. They look so tacky. I don't know how they became so popular.

Old 09-17-2016, 11:01 PM

Also add colonial and French chalet style homes to my list of old beautiful homes. I tried convincing a retired lady to sell me her house that looked like a chalet. Unless you are spending tons to get a custom built house, houses aren't built like those anymore.

Old 09-18-2016, 08:35 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,222,837 times
Quote:
They look atrocious and are poorly built. I want to scream wwwhhhyyyyyyy every time I see those god awful chrome railings on any house and those shiny balusters. They look so tacky. I don't know how they became so popular.
Chrome/stainless steel railings are 99% of the time a sign that the builder and owner are Chinese. That's why you are seeing so much of it, massive amount of Asian immigrants in the boroughs and growing rapidly. For whatever reason they love those shiny railings.

Old 09-18-2016, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Some of the old buildings in NYC tend to have features that they don't make that much anymore. These buildings as long as they are structurally sound can be renovated and upgraded.

I think New Yorkers at all levels are willing to pay for well maintained buildings, but a building doesn't have to be NEW to be well maintained.

New construction in NYC tends to be in former industrial neighborhoods that were underutilized. In other neighborhoods they mostly renovate existing buildings. Some former schools have been turned into apartments, and lofts are former warehouses that have been turned into apartments. Even factories like Domino Sugar Factory are being repurposed.

I think in NYC unless an apartment building is structurally unsound or for some reason just not viable, the trend is towards renovation (in places like Hells Kitchen all new high rises were mostly built on former parking lots, gas station, or other mostly empty real estate as city zoning preserves the tenements. Ditto for the LES).
Yeah, I agree with that.

Quote:
I know it's arbitrary, but I wonder how there are people who actually like the way that looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNY...DirtyStayOut View Post
Chrome/stainless steel railings are 99% of the time a sign that the builder and owner are Chinese. That's why you are seeing so much of it, massive amount of Asian immigrants in the boroughs and growing rapidly. For whatever reason they love those shiny railings.
I think South Asians also do the chrome railing thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City