Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 06:24 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times

Advertisements

In-law went through the trouble.
It proved useless to her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 10:27 AM

237 posts, read 329,757 times
Hey. I'm an actor by profession, and started bartending as my side-hustle. I went to ABC bartending school in manhattan(the one on 8th ave). Cost me 400 bucks for a 40-hour course. My experience: I'd only bartended via catering gigs previously(beer/wine), so, it was nice to learn the recipes, get behind a bar and pour. It was a hands-on kinda deal, not just reading through a book of drinks. This was last summer. I then went out to try to find a bartending job in NYC, probably the most competitive place for ANYTHING in the world.

They laughed at my certificate.

A bar owner told me this during my interview: "those classes are bull****. I can teach you how to make drinks in 2 hours. the things you NEED to know as a bartender, those classes don't teach".

Brutal.

this has a happy ending, though. I came back to L.A. still doing the "hollywood actor" thing, etc, and had this class/certificate on my resume. A friend of mine saw an ad on craigslist, they needed bartenders for coachella. I interview, and get hired. they shuttled us up from L.A. to Indio(near Palm springs), and, when I show up for the shuttle, it turns out an old friend of mine from catering was running the whole ****ing thing. She watched how I did that night, then hired me as as a staff bartender for 2 music venues in Hollywood she runs,and that's my current survival job.

TLR version. I got hired because I knew the right person, and it turns out I'm a naturally good bartender, not because of the class. If you want to bartend, find a place to cocktail waitress, get to know the bar manager/bartenders, and if you're cool, they'll try you out.

Last thing: If you're a hot girl, and have a brain, you can make this happen almost immediately.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:47 AM

1 posts, read 533 times
Get all the details on beverage bartending courses and the fee structure for our Bachelor’s and Master's degree Courses for bartending which includes food, beverage, cigar and spirits pairing and other additional tutorials distillation, brewing, fermentation etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: