Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 10:19 PM

363 posts, read 433,079 times

Advertisements

I will finally get to visit NY for the first time. I only have four full days if I leave the night before. I am just wondering what would be the best option in your opinion drive a rental car or take a train? Driving is only 450 miles, so it's not a big deal. I am just worried about the bad drivers and if the hotels in Manhattan charge a daily fee for parking. I do like driving because I would get to experience more out of the trip including seeing other areas like New Jersey. As for considering the train, it's more relaxing and most of the time I will be walking. The downside is I am shackled by the train schedule as opposed to a car where I can leave whenever.

Also, any recommendations where to go locally? I want to experience the city as a person living in it, not the typical visitors attractions. I will be staying in Manhattan hotel. Any recommendations or spots would be appreciated. I've always wanted to visit NY, so I am hoping to make the most out of this vacation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 10:25 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialwayswin001 View Post
I will finally get to visit NY for the first time. I only have four full days if I leave the night before. I am just wondering what would be the best option in your opinion drive a rental car or take a train? Driving is only 450 miles, so it's not a big deal. I am just worried about the bad drivers and if the hotels in Manhattan charge a daily fee for parking. I do like driving because I would get to experience more out of the trip including seeing other areas like New Jersey. As for considering the train, it's more relaxing and most of the time I will be walking. The downside is I am shackled by the train schedule as opposed to a car where I can leave whenever.

Also, any recommendations where to go locally? I want to experience the city as a person living in it, not the typical visitors attractions. I will be staying in Manhattan hotel. Any recommendations or spots would be appreciated. I've always wanted to visit NY, so I am hoping to make the most out of this vacation.
It's difficult to drive in Manhattan with all the gridlock and all the rules like not being able to turn left at a lot of intersections. Also parking is astronomical in Manhattan, including at hotels. So you might want to look into prices before deciding.

Try searching for "NYC off the beaten path" for some ideas of non-tourist things to do. I think there was a thread on here at one point as well but would have to dig for it.

Theres also a book series for non-tourist stuff in nyc https://www.amazon.com/Tourists-Guid...+not+a+tourist

And lastly, if you are into food, you could follow your stomach all over the 5 boroughs and see some non-touristy neighborhoods. Start by reading NYC-centric food blogs and see what kind of food you want and where those restaurants are located.

Old 09-22-2016, 06:54 AM

74 posts, read 72,693 times
I wouldn't drive into Manhattan. You bet that parking is expensive and traffic is horrible. Depending on when/where you are coming from it make take you significantly longer to get to your destination. Whenever we visited from New England, we parked at one of the CT suburbs for $10/day and took the Metro North to Grand Central.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:51 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,511,840 times
Basically all hotels are going to charge you to park with them. And you're not going to be using your car while you're here. Most likely you'll park at your hotel on your first day, and not touch it again until you checkout.

Flying is an option too. There are plenty of flights from RDU and CLT to NYC.

Old 09-22-2016, 10:16 AM

650 posts, read 2,516,876 times
Personally I would fly. The last time I drove to Raleigh, traffic was bad and it took 12 hours.

Old 09-22-2016, 10:20 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
Why not fly? If you are staying in a hotel in Manhattan, I would absolutely not drive. Hotels will charge you a fee for parking, and it won't be worth it. Heck, they even charge for parking in much smaller cities.

Old 09-22-2016, 10:56 AM

977 posts, read 566,903 times
According to Amtrak's schedule the train trip is about 10 hrs from Raleigh to NYC. If there's not a nonstop flight, it probably would take 4-5 hours to fly in. You need to be at the airport about 2 hours before your flight. Factor in time for baggage claim and ground transport to Manhattan, and you're not looking at really that much longer to take the train than you are to fly into NYC. Perhaps the OP just doesn't like to fly? Believe it or not, some people enjoy train travel more than flying. You don't have all the airport crap to deal with. You have more room, and it's just a more relaxing experience overall.

Old 09-22-2016, 11:03 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,482 times
I would never drive that distance if there was a cheap and easier flight option. In fact I think it's cheaper or at least almost the same to fly from NC to NYC than to drive and it's obviously faster. I just looked at flights and it's only about $150-$200 r/t. Assuming you take mass transit while in NYC (including to/from airport), I must assume it's almost cheaper than paying for the; gas, tolls, and parking fees associated with driving that distance. The tolls up 95 are probably close to $30-$40 (one way I think), your gas probably isn't cheap either depending on your car. I doubt your hotel in Manhattan has parking and garages in Manhattan are at least $25+ per day.

Also, if you really want to experience NYC "as a NYer" then you wouldn't be driving around Manhattan anyway.

Old 09-22-2016, 11:10 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stremba View Post
According to Amtrak's schedule the train trip is about 10 hrs from Raleigh to NYC. If there's not a nonstop flight, it probably would take 4-5 hours to fly in. You need to be at the airport about 2 hours before your flight. Factor in time for baggage claim and ground transport to Manhattan, and you're not looking at really that much longer to take the train than you are to fly into NYC. Perhaps the OP just doesn't like to fly? Believe it or not, some people enjoy train travel more than flying. You don't have all the airport crap to deal with. You have more room, and it's just a more relaxing experience overall.
Non stop flight from NYC to RDU is 1 hour 45 mins. You can arrive at the airport 1 hour earlier for a domestic flight (yeah I know that might be cutting it close but I do it all the time). The OP is only staying in NYC for 4 days so I'd suggest a carry on bag and not check luggage for such a short stay.

However, I don't disagree with you the the train can be less of a hassle because you don't have to deal with the airport.

Old 09-22-2016, 03:10 PM

368 posts, read 391,325 times
Only 1 in 6 New Yorkers live in Manhattan, and very few of us live in hotels. Most of us live in Brooklyn or Queens, so your Manhattan hotel plans already mean that you are not going to " experience the city as a person living in it." In addition, I doubt that you will spend much time going to work, or doing laundry, or shopping for groceries, or doing any of the ordinary chores that take up most of the waking experience of most New York city residents. You should therefore honestly face the fact that you are a tourist who plans to do recreational tourist things -- although if you really want to indulge this fantasy of being a temporary resident, you are always welcome to come clean my bathroom, walk my dog, or iron my shirts while I use the unexpected free time to go visit a museum or see a show...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: