Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 08:03 AM

782 posts, read 524,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Is there a real difference between Target and Walmart, though? I get that the demographics of who shops there might be a little different, but the stores seem very similar to me.

And I bring up an LI example because The Green Acres shopping Center is predominately patronized by NYC residents, and literally borders NYC. Of course LI is different versus NYC overall, but the two regions vary a lot within themselves.
Sure, there are differences. Price, product offering, store design, marketing, etc. Why else would there be differences in the demographics who shop there?

See, you're not making sense. You admit that NYC and LI are different, yet you also want to argue that it's worth bringing up LI because both regions have variation within themselves. In your previous post, you weren't even talking about Green Acres but instead Uniondale to discuss ethnic markets and their impact on a neighboring Walmart.

Green Acres is not a good example anyway. The cost of doing business in NYC is different than on Long Island. And if I remember correctly, that area of Queens has no subway access and most people have cars and easy street parking and driveways. It's not central at all. I know we kind of veered off track on this thread but the original post seemed to be about the potential impact of Walmart in more centralized locations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Huge difference in prices. Walmart sells everything lower than any other store and relentlessly pushes suppliers to cut prices. They are all about discounts. Target is the same as walmart except they try to go a notch more upscale and expect people to pay more for everything as a result. It's mostly the same stuff, but way more expensive
It isn't true that Walmart sells everything lower. A little internet searching will yield tons of price comparisons. The price differences are not that significant in many cases and on some products, Target is cheaper.

Here's one that shows the results of a one-stop basket assessment by a consultancy group (pages 32-34). Overall, Walmart's prices were found to be 3.5% lower than Target's. Groceries were found to be 2% lower at Walmart, health and beauty aids were the same, and general merchandise was 5% lower at Walmart.

http://www.kantarretail.com/wp-conte...ts_H1_2015.pdf

Old 09-28-2016, 09:29 AM

15,803 posts, read 14,417,439 times
^
Yes. But in the size they usually want, that isn't so easily available in NYC.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:58 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,892,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
If WMT has really given up , it's because they feel that the resistance NYC government is insurmountable. BTW, I'm skeptical that they've truly given up, They may be just biding their time till they they can either circumvent or buy off thsir opponents in city hall.

And if you don't think a Walmart in the city won't do well, go to a Costco in Queens at prime time, and see how long the lines are.
Yes. It's obviously they have clearly given up. If WalMart could not enter the city during the Giuliani and Bloomberg eras, how will they be able to enter NYC now? De Blasio doesn't even have a prominent Republican challenger, which means he'll be reelected next year and he is beholden to unions and community activists.

I personally have no opposition to WalMart coming, it's just another big box store. At the same time it's not like the city especially needs WalMart, and it's not like WalMart especially needs NYC.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
^
Yes. But in the size they usually want, that isn't so easily available in NYC.
I don't know what this means.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Yes. It's obviously they have clearly given up. If WalMart could not enter the city during the Giuliani and Bloomberg eras, how will they be able to enter NYC now? De Blasio doesn't even have a prominent Republican challenger, which means he'll be reelected next year and he is beholden to unions and community activists.

I personally have no opposition to WalMart coming, it's just another big box store. At the same time it's not like the city especially needs WalMart, and it's not like WalMart especially needs NYC.
Actually, in the NYT article that I linked to earlier about Walmart's efforts in NYC, the company "gave up" after its failed attempts in the mid 2000s, then came back a few years later with its East New York plans. So you never know.

I think it's discouraging though that Walmart dropped its small express format completely earlier this year and that its DC stores are not doing well. It suggests that the company hasn't figured out how to do well in an urban environment. Also, political opposition would only be greater since Walmart essentially backed out on its promises to open stores in the poor DC neighborhoods. That just looks so bad.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:28 AM

Compared to suburban and rural areas, there are very few big box stores in NYC. And compared to a lot of what would normally be considered a big box, a Walmart supercenter is particularly big. So there just aren't a lot of existing retail buildings in NYC that are big enough to house them. And they don't turn over much. So, unlike some localities, Walmart just can't call a commercial real estate broker, and fine one of them.

Even finding land to build one is difficult. And if the land can be put together, chances are the zoning is all wrong. This would mean going through the ULURP process to get the zoning changed, which requires a city council vote. And any project with Walmart involved, is not likely to survive the city council.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
I don't know what this means.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:58 AM

Ok, I thought your post was replying to my pricing post immediately above. That's why I was confused.

Old 09-28-2016, 01:26 PM

You had two posts back to back. I must have gotten them reversed.

Old 09-30-2016, 11:38 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,665,533 times
The easiest way for walmart to get into NYC is to cut a deal with Home Depot (who has no problem getting build approval) to build a facility and bait&switch sell it to them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City