Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 11:29 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,404,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
Which is exactly my point....Valley Stream is on the outskirts of NYC....in addition to it not being accessible with the subways, a double whammy. I dot get your point of bringing it up in this thread as it is not in NYC.
Because it is literally one block away and is probably patronized predominately by NYC residents

Any given location in NYC is not easily accessible to many NYC residents, even Midtown Manhattan. But the point is that people in the vicinity of a given Walmart certainly would shop there. It'a not like people don't count as actual NYC residents unless they live in the "cool" parts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 11:34 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,930,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Because it is literally one block away and is probably patronized predominately by NYC residents

Any given location in NYC is not easily accessible to many NYC residents, even Midtown Manhattan. But the point is that people in the vicinity of a given Walmart certainly would shop there. It'a not like people don't count as actual NYC residents unless they live in the "cool" parts.
You make no sense, you're basically disputing me on my points and then reiterating the point I'm making that it's not sensible for most NYC residents and then you're contradicting yourself when you say the Walmart crowd is predominantly people from NYC . So no Nassau residents go to the Walmart? Not many NYC folks will travel to Valley Stream just to save some dough on groceries.....for you that's OK since you're in Springfield. It's not worth the time and costs traveling for unless isms a big haul. I try to avoid going unless I really need to and I'm coming from central Queens

Last edited by nyccs; 09-23-2016 at 11:45 AM..

Old 09-23-2016, 12:57 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,552,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Um I went to college with plenty of middle class and above people and many of them shopped at Walmart. Its prices tend to be very good.
Yes, a few cents cheaper while the lines are ridiculously long and slow. NYers don't care about price, they care about experience. Walmart workers are lazy and obnoxious, ask someone for help and they said they can't help you. They are too lazy to clean the store.

If low prices are a factor, Wholefoods and Target would've packed up long time ago.

Old 09-23-2016, 12:58 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,634,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Walmart caters to poor people.
Which is why it would benefit so many people in NYC and raise the standard of living for them. Something like 60% of NYC residents favor walmart coming to NYC, only 33% oppose it. Not that it should be up to public opinion polls who is allowed or not allowed to do business in our economy.

Instead you have a bunch of self-righteous elites telling people where they should spend their money

Old 09-23-2016, 01:21 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,287,039 times
Even when I lived less than 10 mins driving distance from Wal-Mart in never shopped there. It just doesn't meet my needs. I wouldn't purchase, clothes, food or anything household related there. Appliances I bought from sears or that Jewish run appliance store in Brooklyn. Most people I know in nyc (queens and long Island ) don't see the need or value in shopping at Wal-Mart. When I do online price comparison their prices are not cheaper. If they are all large stores will price match. I hate the way Wal-Mart as a corporation treats it's employees. That gives me one more reason not to shop there.

Old 09-23-2016, 02:18 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,851,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Which is why it would benefit so many people in NYC and raise the standard of living for them. Something like 60% of NYC residents favor walmart coming to NYC, only 33% oppose it. Not that it should be up to public opinion polls who is allowed or not allowed to do business in our economy.

Instead you have a bunch of self-righteous elites telling people where they should spend their money
Well they missed the BOAT.

WalMart would not benefit poor people New Yorkers at all. There's the growth in 99 cent stores and dollar stores in poor neighborhoods, as for anything else Amazon is now the nation's top retailer.

And while elites may have certainly opposed WalMart coming to NYC, Bloomberg had no real opposition to them coming. WalMart was simply too CHEAP to come to NYC, and they have little real experience in competing in urban markets. WalMART actually had to CLOSE stores in Los Angeles, and the company has been having to cut back on multiple fronts as poor people these days go to dollar stores. Wealthier people go to higher end stores like Whole Foods, and even the major expansion of CVS and Walgreens offers major competition to WalMart.

Old 09-23-2016, 02:21 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,851,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
Right, but your question is how a Walmart would impact mom and pops. Why not look at the impact of stores with similar business models? Target is much cheaper than the independent stores. Walmart may be even cheaper than that, but the gap between Target and Walmart is not as significant as the gap between independents and big box chains.

I'm sure Walmart does its market research and there are reasons why there are no stores within NYC. My guess is that, in general, those who shop at big box chain stores in NYC are not as price sensitive as the general population. They have the time to go out of their way to shop and many have cars. If they were to choose between Target and Walmart, a greater percentage might choose Target because they better appreciate the nicer shopping environment that Target provides. People who are really poor or price-sensitive don't have the resources to even make their way out to any of these stores.

Walmart's target customer base in NYC is not as big percentage-wise as it is in the suburbs and rural areas where pretty much everyone has a car. Add in the fact that operating costs are higher in NYC and that its major competitors already have a large presence, and I can see why they would decide against opening stores here.
I think the operating costs are a factor. Plus with all the immigrants and first generation Americans in NYC, many of them will shop at local stores that offer their tastes. Could WalMart do well in FLUSHING? Probably not.

In Elmhurst they'd have to compete with Target, Bestbuy, Macy's, and Costco.

Grocery stores are all over NYC and some are CLOSING as a matter of fact.

Old 09-23-2016, 02:52 PM

782 posts, read 523,292 times
I just googled Walmart NYC and found that the company has in fact tried to open stores here. I wonder what it is about Walmart vs target that makes it difficult to do that.

A Respite in Efforts by Wal-Mart in New York - NYTimes.com

Target, by the way, has a relatively new location in flushing at the end of the 7 line.

Old 09-23-2016, 03:23 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,353,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
I just googled Walmart NYC and found that the company has in fact tried to open stores here. I wonder what it is about Walmart vs target that makes it difficult to do that.

A Respite in Efforts by Wal-Mart in New York - NYTimes.com

Target, by the way, has a relatively new location in flushing at the end of the 7 line.
I guess it would depend on the type of store. Target has been quite successful with their smaller City Target locations.

Old 09-23-2016, 04:03 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,353,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPossesOnBroadway View Post
So theres a difference with City target?
Well I think they are easier to get built and do a better job blending in/being part of the neighborhood than your typical Wal-Mart would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City