Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 11:34 PM

983 posts, read 923,096 times

Advertisements

I try to be polite to people in stores and stuff.

The only exception is when I'm walking on the streets, in that case I just flat out squeeze through people, walk quickly by them, etc or else you'd never get anywhere. Also never answer people who try to talk to you on the street unless there is a clear reason to (they're struggling to carry something or looking at a map or there is a fire or something) because if it's just some random person talking to you for no reason, there is a ZERO percent chance that they want anything except to harass you for money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 07:20 AM

24 posts, read 31,707 times
I'm polite and so are my parents. We were all born and raised in nyc. Remember, most of the people who live here anymore are not from this country. They bring their rude mannerisms with them especially the asians.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:42 AM

25,341 posts, read 36,836,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bees46 View Post
My partner's extended family came to visit us when we lived in NYC and we had 5 days of, "I don't know how anyone could live here, it's so (dirty/noisy/expensive/full of rude people etc.)" I would never have wanted to live in their boring flyover suburb, but I was never rude enough to actually say that to them, much less say it repeatedly.

An internet friend and his wife came to visit from New Zealand. They decided on the Times Square Marriott on 45th St. I tried to dissuade them but they had put down a deposit.
They left with the same attitude, "Oh, the noisy rude pushy crowds...the litter" determined never to visit the city again.
Do you think MAYBE their hotel location may have formed their opinion of the City?

Sad really for elderly people's first and only visit to NYC in an entire lifetime to be so ruined by a hotel choice.

Unfortunately, I treated them to a show on 45th St, doing nothing to dispel their slanted notion. I should have taken them to the Metropolitan Museum instead.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:57 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,497,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
An internet friend and his wife came to visit from New Zealand. They decided on the Times Square Marriott on 45th St. I tried to dissuade them but they had put down a deposit.
They left with the same attitude, "Oh, the noisy rude pushy crowds...the litter" determined never to visit the city again.
Do you think MAYBE their hotel location may have formed their opinion of the City?

Sad really for elderly people's first and only visit to NYC in an entire lifetime to be so ruined by a hotel choice.

Unfortunately, I treated them to a show on 45th St, doing nothing to dispel their slanted notion. I should have taken them to the Metropolitan Museum instead.
I prefer NYC keep the reputation of being a rude city than as some nicey squeaky clean city. It's a useless battle to try dissuading tourists about how to navigate around NYC. Let them bruise it out.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:37 AM

25,341 posts, read 36,836,839 times
Let them bruise it out.

That's my new attitude...to Hell with tour-guiding.

Old 10-05-2016, 03:16 PM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,076,740 times
OP...just guessing, but maybe they are stressed out from overcrowding and high expenses?

Old 10-05-2016, 03:35 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,328,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post

Yes, I think so, Times Square is one of the noisiest places in Manhattan and very populated!

Old 10-05-2016, 04:05 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,930,408 times
New Yorkers would be more nice if the city did not have 4 changes seasons.

Old 10-05-2016, 05:28 PM

11,190 posts, read 9,001,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
New Yorkers would be more nice if the city did not have 4 changes seasons.
Not really. NYC would be nicer with less people. Less variety in race, religion, culture, etc.

8.2 million people + 40 million annual tourist in a dense area is not a pretty sight.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:20 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,301,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy1172 View Post
Seems like most people believe that New Yorkers are habitually rude. My husband(Brooklyn,Ny) says New Yorkers are blunt, and yes, rude. Lol but, he also tells me that people will take my kindness as a weakness. Do most New Yorkers believe that? I refuse to live there, I'm from Texas, and I can't seem to stop having manners, and I can't help but to treat people the way I'd like to be treated. He can't stand the thought of anyone, "getting over" on him. We've been together almost 18 years, but we still disagree about people, and how to get along with people. He loves to argue, but I sure love to hear his NY accent lol(still).
I am from NYC. I have lived in Texas (Fort Worth) and in Florida. By far the most rudest and dumbest people I have ever met in my entire life have been in Florida, bar none. Texans are friendly to some degree. As for New Yorkers, ummm I think the major difference is, if you say or do something that someone perceives as being rude or inconsiderate, you are going to get called on it here. There are no ifs, and or buts about it. I saw a woman push another woman in the back,as she was trying to get her to move onto the train faster. Mind you, the woman was moving fast enough already. Also, the train was just sitting there (it was the last stop on the E train). There was NO reason for the pushing. Anyway, I guess the husband saw it and told that pushy lady, if she touches his wife again, he would "slap fire" out of her. I saw the look on his face, he meant it. The pushy woman didn't say ONE word. She got quiet, sat down and behaved herself. On the flip side, my neighbors in my building are super nice. Our wives make dinner for each other's family every so often. People say good morning or give some sort of salutations if I catch eyes with them, in my neighborhood. The people who I have noticed that are rude here are generally people not from here. It seems to be their culture, I don't know. I think the other problem with transplants is, they arent from here. Their idea of NYC is what they saw on TV before moving here. So they assume this attitude as if it will help them to fit in or get on here. When in reality, just being yourself and using common sense works best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City