Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 06:25 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,874,214 times

Advertisements

Gotcha.... but remember with most stereotypes there is usually some basis of truth to it. The NYC Dept of Corrections is primarily minority. It is a very difficult job and like I said before, a few bad apples may have spoiled the reputation of the rest. This may be the direction that the NYPD is headed unless the city acts promptly.

Anyway, to the OP... most folks get sent to Riker's Island, put in their time and try to get into a special division like Transportation or one of the borough house of detentions. Maybe, if you have any ambition you take a promotional test & become Captain (or higher). After 20 years they retire with your 50% pension and ride into the sunset. I met a female down here in SC who retired from NYDoC and is enjoying herself as well. I never wouldhave taken her as a CO though, she weighs about 105 pounds but she survived!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 12:40 AM

4 posts, read 31,969 times
Many officers, especially NYPD officers have a view of correction officers (NYCDOC) as being NYPD rejects and police officer wannabees. In addition, many officers think of correction officers as "perps with guns" or uneducated civil servants. Sad but true. The biggest obstacle for your friend if she decided to pursue the career with DOC will be mental toughness as mentioned before. That IS NOT (I reapeat, IT IS NOT) a job you take solely for the money. That is a pretty tough job ESPECIALLY for a woman (petite woman at that). She will be constantly tested and tried by inmates and if she slips, she will lose her job and probably gain a criminal record in the process. Have her check out the book "games that criminals play" and check out the following law enforcement related forums for more info and to speak with others who may advise her in the hiring process. Good luck.

Police Forums & Law Enforcement Forums @ Officer.com - Powered by vBulletin

911 Job Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Hey 009 do you have any insight as to why corrections have like a bad rep amongs other Law Enforcement. I always heard whispers about NYPD not liking them and so on and so forth. Any valid reasons. Superficially at least it seems like a very tough job that should be respected.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:45 AM

4 posts, read 31,969 times
On a positive note. The NYC DOC is an organization that your can MOVE UP the ladder very very QUICKLY. You can take the promotional exam to captain, i believe after your probation is over (if im not mistaken, probation is over after 2 years). A large part of the department was hired in the late 80's and so many c.o's are retiring which will open up many, many opportunities. Also, DOC offers alot opportunities for overtime. A correction officer with 5 years on the job easily breaks 100k a year with very little sweat. (C.O's here in the City make way more than police officers).

Old 02-28-2008, 07:51 PM

151 posts, read 693,419 times
Default Thanks to all

thank you everyone for responding. I have passed this info to my friend and I think my instincts were correct and I am not interested in being a CO especially at Rikers. Thanks for posting the link though to the transportation job. Ill pass it on in case shes interested.
I think many people go for this job because NYC is expensive and these jobs when you put in overtime helps you sustain. But the tradeoff for me is not worth it.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:35 AM

1 posts, read 11,952 times
Default Please do not judge

I retired as a New York City Correction officer on July 22, 2007. Before me going into Correction I graduate from Queens College. I worked almost all my twenty years at Riker' Island, and with inmates. It is a tough job, but I enjoyed it. I worked with many professional officers and I met plenty of unprofessional ones. I now work as a campus security officer, and people are shocked to know that I am retired correction officer. They always tell me I act and look more like a school teacher. I hope people do not jugde all correction officer as bad, there is many more good ones in the force.

Old 02-28-2009, 05:33 PM

35 posts, read 164,496 times
is correction allowed to carry firearms? I know they can't while on duty but can they carry it off duty like NYPD?

Old 02-28-2009, 05:46 PM

67 posts, read 308,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baylovers View Post
Gotcha.... but remember with most stereotypes there is usually some basis of truth to it. The NYC Dept of Corrections is primarily minority. It is a very difficult job and like I said before, a few bad apples may have spoiled the reputation of the rest. This may be the direction that the NYPD is headed unless the city acts promptly.
I always try to have an unbiased view of Corrections, but it doesn't help when I have to wait five minutes at Central Booking for the CO to put down the sandwich and acknowledge my presence so I can get in.

Old 02-28-2009, 06:12 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,552,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBaggO View Post
is correction allowed to carry firearms? I know they can't while on duty but can they carry it off duty like NYPD?
Some members do carry on-duty such as their Transportation Division, Emergency Services Unit and others. Inside the jail on guard duty, no. From what I understand, after their probationary period, they have to apply to carry off-duty and that does not mean you will get one.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:55 AM

35 posts, read 164,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 009 View Post
Some members do carry on-duty such as their Transportation Division, Emergency Services Unit and others. Inside the jail on guard duty, no. From what I understand, after their probationary period, they have to apply to carry off-duty and that does not mean you will get one.
ok.... do you know how long probation last , and what qualifies for them giving access or not after application?

Old 03-01-2009, 12:57 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,552,865 times
Quote:
ok.... do you know how long probation last , and
I double checked in another forum the time you need to have before applying for off-duty carry and it's apparently 6 months to 1 year of service. So forget about that probationary period that I mentioned.

Quote:
what qualifies for them giving access or not after application?
Allegedly it's up to each individual jail's Warden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City