Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 05:19 AM

292 posts, read 698,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanya1974 View Post
I have a question about the process and just so you know I have taken the NYPD, traffic enforcement agent and school saftey. I passed all exams and got called for NYPD and tea. Now I failed the psychological part so I'm wondering now if I should even go ahead with the Co because I don't know what I have said wrong or did. Maybe because I lived in a few states and have family that been incarcerated, I don't know but I wouldn't want to waste my time again. I want a career, I have a Bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice but I'm afraid to be disappointed again.....afraid ny suggestions anyone?
Let's be straight up here. You mentioned you lived in a couple of states but that wouldn't make you fail. You just said you know some folks who are incarcerated... Um did you disclose it or what? Because if you didn't... That means you failed to disclose that vital piece of info which means you will psych disq. Not to bust your bubble or anything.

And when or if you pursue NYC-doc, just remember they will contact PD and want to know what occured during your investigation. I believe they are trying to clean up their act now, especially since Rikers been on the news constantly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2016, 03:38 AM

15 posts, read 13,067 times
Lack

Old 11-24-2016, 03:40 AM

Lack of disclosure CAN unquestionably get you disqualified. Answer all questions truthfully.

Old 11-24-2016, 04:01 AM

NYC Correction officer, one of the most misunderstood, misrepresented, challenging, dangerous, thankless,..................and REWARDING careers you will ever know.

Old 11-24-2016, 09:18 PM

17,876 posts, read 15,746,494 times
Doesnt Corrections in NYC get paid more than NYPD? I imagine they have to in order to attract employees.

I guess that is were the resentment might come from. But then again, many NYPD will leave and go to one of the wealthy suburbs in NYC, and get paid even more.

Old 11-24-2016, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwaymencatcher View Post
On a positive note. The NYC DOC is an organization that your can MOVE UP the ladder very very QUICKLY. You can take the promotional exam to captain, i believe after your probation is over (if im not mistaken, probation is over after 2 years). A large part of the department was hired in the late 80's and so many c.o's are retiring which will open up many, many opportunities. Also, DOC offers alot opportunities for overtime. A correction officer with 5 years on the job easily breaks 100k a year with very little sweat. (C.O's here in the City make way more than police officers).
Because they make way more, I imagine they ought to be able to attract not just minorities. I understand if it is minority majority though as it is important to have a force that is representative of the prison population.

Old 11-24-2016, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9438 View Post
I retired as a New York City Correction officer on July 22, 2007. Before me going into Correction I graduate from Queens College. I worked almost all my twenty years at Riker' Island, and with inmates. It is a tough job, but I enjoyed it. I worked with many professional officers and I met plenty of unprofessional ones. I now work as a campus security officer, and people are shocked to know that I am retired correction officer. They always tell me I act and look more like a school teacher. I hope people do not jugde all correction officer as bad, there is many more good ones in the force.
How are the benefits after retirement?

Old 11-24-2016, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyscorpion2486 View Post
I am a correction officer. I been a c.o. for 10 years. At first I was uncomfortable about it because you never know what can happen. Expect the unexpected. Treat the inmates firmly and dont show favoritism. At first you will get nervous. But the secret to it, is dont show it..... It dont matter how short you are. Even whether your female. People look at lock up and they think its run like Rikers Island. Well, I am here to tell you, no. Its not run like Rikers. Rikers is a jail. Lock up is a prison. Whats the difference. Well in Rikers inmates are housed temporary approximately 45 days until they are sentenced or time served. They ususally behaved inmates. Prison inmates are often housed more than a year. Some of them are incarerated for life. Those are the ones, that really dont care for no one. That is why Lock up can be violent.
So Rikers is only jail? I thought it was both jail and long term correctional facility.

Old 11-24-2016, 09:42 PM

What kind of protection do you get to wear while on duty, and are you given any non-lethal weapons?

Old 11-25-2016, 11:08 AM

15,751 posts, read 14,358,967 times
IIRC, anyone who gets even an vaguely long sentence (>1 year) goes upstate, into the state prison system. If someone gets a short stint (<1 year), they may stay in Rikers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
So Rikers is only jail? I thought it was both jail and long term correctional facility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City