Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 01:24 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times

Advertisements

Riker's/NYC jails have two main populations: pre-trial detainment and serving time (usually one year or less).

The first are made up of those either denied bail/bond and or cannot raise funds to post, thus are confined until trial. Second group is obvious; those who were tried and found guilty or pleaded such and now are serving out their time.

With Mayor Rudy G and the NYPD's new policy of putting every single person arrested process through the system and other changes the population at Riker's grew, especially pretrial detention. People could and have were arrested for relative "minor" crimes/offenses but made the "mistake" of requesting trial instead of say taking a plea deal which invoked a bail/bond requirement. Believe it or not there are those who cannot raise even small sums such as $500 for bail, so they sit out at Riker's for days, weeks and in some cases months until their case is disposed.

Those who have never been or otherwise have factual information about Riker's usually assume it is like those "prisons" you see in films; that is people locked up in a cell that functions pretty much like their "room". Not exactly.

Riker's has more of a dormitory arrangement which one supposes is more "humane" than keeping everyone locked up much of the day, does throw everyone into the mix. Weak are in with the strong, mentally ill with sane, older (and more seasoned with first timers), gay or trans with straights (though they can request separate isolation, many don't want), so you can imagine what happens. There are fights and abuses of all sorts.

https://www.themarshallproject.org/2...eld#.KCYWNor9z
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Because they make way more, I imagine they ought to be able to attract not just minorities. I understand if it is minority majority though as it is important to have a force that is representative of the prison population.
In the pecking order of NYC uniformed services most "whites" go for FDNY or NYPD first before corrections. For whatever reasons a majority of NYC corrections officers (IIRC the number has been >80% for decades) are African-American. This goes for females as well: On Rikers Island, a Changing of the Guard - The New York Times

Quite honestly think some whites would take DSNY over corrections.

Old 11-25-2016, 09:46 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Riker's/NYC jails have two main populations: pre-trial detainment and serving time (usually one year or less).

The first are made up of those either denied bail/bond and or cannot raise funds to post, thus are confined until trial. Second group is obvious; those who were tried and found guilty or pleaded such and now are serving out their time.

With Mayor Rudy G and the NYPD's new policy of putting every single person arrested process through the system and other changes the population at Riker's grew, especially pretrial detention. People could and have were arrested for relative "minor" crimes/offenses but made the "mistake" of requesting trial instead of say taking a plea deal which invoked a bail/bond requirement. Believe it or not there are those who cannot raise even small sums such as $500 for bail, so they sit out at Riker's for days, weeks and in some cases months until their case is disposed.

Those who have never been or otherwise have factual information about Riker's usually assume it is like those "prisons" you see in films; that is people locked up in a cell that functions pretty much like their "room". Not exactly.

Riker's has more of a dormitory arrangement which one supposes is more "humane" than keeping everyone locked up much of the day, does throw everyone into the mix. Weak are in with the strong, mentally ill with sane, older (and more seasoned with first timers), gay or trans with straights (though they can request separate isolation, many don't want), so you can imagine what happens. There are fights and abuses of all sorts.

https://www.themarshallproject.org/2...eld#.KCYWNor9z
This wiki page says there are around 10K inmates. That is a lot people waiting for trial. I saw this documentary, and its says they have solitary confinement there. Why put people who are awaiting trial in solitary? If they actually do something that seriously warrants something like solitary, they are probably guilty. They cant even help themselves when they have an actual chance at going free.

Old 11-25-2016, 09:47 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
Quote:
In the pecking order of NYC uniformed services most "whites" go for FDNY or NYPD first before corrections. For whatever reasons a majority of NYC corrections officers (IIRC the number has been >80% for decades) are African-American. This goes for females as well: On Rikers Island, a Changing of the Guard - The New York Times

Well at least they are paid well.

Old 11-25-2016, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
This wiki page says there are around 10K inmates. That is a lot people waiting for trial. I saw this documentary, and its says they have solitary confinement there. Why put people who are awaiting trial in solitary? If they actually do something that seriously warrants something like solitary, they are probably guilty. They cant even help themselves when they have an actual chance at going free.
Solidary confinement: Rikers Island solitary population drops to 167 inmates - NY Daily News

Story of Kalief Browder who spent three years at Rikers (before trial) and ended up committing suicide:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalief_Browder

Recent Rikers population numbers: NYC jail, prison incarceration rates drop by 50% as crime falls - NY Daily News

As for the "why" of solidary confinement; well you have plenty of hard a$$ed and violent sorts locked up on that island. Everything from career/repeat offenders to first timers who just don't give a rat's butt. They'll shot a father/husband to death, rape then kill a wife/mother and off any kids in the house just to round things off.

Old 11-25-2016, 10:29 PM

Quote:

More: COLOR BLIND. CORRECTION DEPT. IS FAR MORE INTEGRATED THAN FDNY OR POLICE FORCE - NY Daily News

Old 11-26-2016, 07:37 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,943,583 times
A lot of sleeping around with coworkers and inmates...hear the news stories all the time. I guess due to the high number of hours worked.

Old 12-14-2016, 05:01 AM

3 posts, read 2,271 times
Hi..im currently awaiting my oral interview. I took my psych written on Oct 15 and still have not been called in.smh..its nerve wrecking and you cannot call to see about the oral. I'm wondering if they are working on a DQ letter for me, being that I haven't gotten called for my oral yet..don't wanna be negative but what's the hold up ? The last call for the oral is on the18th of this month. I'm scared. They're startin the academy this month and heard there will b a January class, but haven't still received a call for my oral, I'm being told not to call and to stand by . I really need some encouragement guys.

Old 12-15-2016, 02:02 AM

15 posts, read 13,262 times
Don"t believe everything you see or hear in documentaries as the producers (much like the ratings motivated news media) usually have only half the facts and will usually broadcast what they believe will be popular with the public. Just some factual information: our facilities mainly house pre trial detainees but we also house sentenced inmates in some cases. On the average, NYC correction officers salaries are about the same as NYC police officers until you factor in overtime (due to the number of fixed post which must be manned, & the high turnover rate) the our salaries then go way up, and when you consider that overtime is calculated in your pension, that becomes a BIG plus. And for those of you who for whatever reason are considering the skin color of the officers in each department before you decide to sign up for either corrections or PD, be advised that there are more officers of color in corrections and PD is not that far behind. Also, someone (uninformed apparently) mentioned something about "sleeping around" let me say this: there is a lot of it going on in BOTH agencies, not just corrections.

Old 12-15-2016, 02:14 AM

15 posts, read 13,262 times
Beau3201, stay positive, city administration does sometime move at a snails pace, but they will call your number. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City