Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 02:04 AM

3 posts, read 12,557 times

Advertisements

Can someone tell me what type of area Parkchester, New York is like ?.

Is it safe, low crime, would apartment make a decent investment with capital apprciation over time etc.

How far, how long to commute to downtown Manhattan ?.
Are there nice parks, resturants, things to do ?.

Thank you

L.Cameron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 10:33 AM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,085 times
Check out the Parkchester community message boards. You will learn a lot.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:39 AM

20 posts, read 57,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Cameron View Post
Can someone tell me what type of area Parkchester, New York is like ?.

Is it safe, low crime, would apartment make a decent investment with capital apprciation over time etc.

How far, how long to commute to downtown Manhattan ?.
Are there nice parks, resturants, things to do ?.

Thank you

L.Cameron
Parkchester is a "Good" area of the Bronx. It is a small complex surrounded by "not so good" areas. The complex itself has many buidlings and in the center you'll find everything you need (restaurants, small park, stores, recreation).

You also have a subway stop very-very close to the complex: express sub to 125Th (Harlem) NYC.

Apartments there are very unexpensive compared to the rest of the borough. I believe they will be going up in a fast pace.

I myself was thinking of moving there couple months ago, but as you research you'll find out that parking space there is near to impossible. Plus I din't like the way the kitchen looks like

Old 02-23-2008, 01:53 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
I'm sure you'll get a good amount of replys, but you should also run a search on this forum for all the different threads on Parkchester we've had. You'll find a lot of information.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:09 AM

348 posts, read 1,248,410 times
I can't remember which thread it was where someone asked about activities for kids that the management company in Parkchester sponsors, but I will post here. Last night I came home and there was a mini festival going on in the Oval (something they do often but this one was more involved than others). There was entertainment and music, those big inflatable rooms to bounce around in, free BBQ, a carousel, etc. And a rock-climbing wall!!

They also have movie nights where they set up a huge screen on one of the "great lawns" and it becomes a big family outing. Not exactly on the same par with in the City where they play old Hitchcock movies, or old black and whites (I think one film last year was The Wiz - LOL) but hey, why not. I can watch the whole scene from my bedroom window and people really seemed to enjoy themselves.

They also do a lot of field trips, craft and sports activities with the kids. And at Christmas, as others have mentioned, they have a very elaborate Christmas Village with vintage Christmas music, that I just love walking through.

I really have to hand it to the management for sponsoring all of these things for families and children.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:39 AM

8 posts, read 91,250 times
Parkchester is a great place to live, especially if you don't have a car..supermarkets, cleaners, stores, restaurants, schools (public and private). Some of the buildings are not as clean as others, not due to the maintenance staff, but the tenants.

There is also lots of transportation (6 Train - Express or Local), BX6 Bus (Express bus to Manhattan - $5.00 each way) Q44 Bus to Queens, Bx34, 4, 22, 14 buses as well. The rooms are not huge as other bronx apartments, but its nice living there.

NYCWoman: I also enjoyed the little carnival they had, I was quite surprised when i got home, I usually do come out on Tuesdays to listen to the music.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:55 AM

730 posts, read 2,053,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivesinBx View Post
Parkchester is a great place to live, especially if you don't have a car..supermarkets, cleaners, stores, restaurants, schools (public and private). Some of the buildings are not as clean as others, not due to the maintenance staff, but the tenants.

There is also lots of transportation (6 Train - Express or Local), BX6 Bus (Express bus to Manhattan - $5.00 each way) Q44 Bus to Queens, Bx34, 4, 22, 14 buses as well. The rooms are not huge as other bronx apartments, but its nice living there.

NYCWoman: I also enjoyed the little carnival they had, I was quite surprised when i got home, I usually do come out on Tuesdays to listen to the music.
The only downside to Parkchester is the area south and west of the complex. Those areas are known for being pretty shady.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:33 AM

25 posts, read 120,238 times
i wouldn't move there.......not my cup of tea....

Old 08-08-2008, 09:49 AM

125 posts, read 130,133 times
Not your cup of tea? That was very helpful to the poster.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:58 AM

348 posts, read 1,248,410 times
Buying extremely low and most likely doubling my money in a few to 5 years is definitely MY cup of tea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City