Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 10:02 AM

6,681 posts, read 6,022,713 times

Advertisements

Anyone applied to the now closed Strivers Plaza?
I halfheartedly did, so I'm expecting a halfhearted log number.
I'm just not too thrilled about living in that neighborhood, to be honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2016, 12:36 PM

1,408 posts, read 2,031,473 times
I put my name in the hat for the heck of it, I'd probably go for it if by some miracle I got a low enough number, but that's not going to happen. Only if it's a studio though, while I technically would be eligible for the upper bracket 1 bedrooms, the rent is way out of my bracket.

Old 10-31-2016, 01:20 PM

This lottery is taking too long - the lottery closed last month and log numbers are still not out.

I'm still expecting to receive a high log number!

Old 10-31-2016, 01:29 PM

1,258 posts, read 1,461,784 times
I applied just for the heck of it too. I won't devote any thought or energy to this unless I get called, which is highly unlikely. I pretty much apply to everything that's within my income parameters (I mean, why not?), but I really only obsess over the developments in my CB, as those are the only ones for which I feel there's a semi chance.

Old 10-31-2016, 03:16 PM

1,408 posts, read 2,031,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving415 View Post
I applied just for the heck of it too. I won't devote any thought or energy to this unless I get called, which is highly unlikely. I pretty much apply to everything that's within my income parameters (I mean, why not?), but I really only obsess over the developments in my CB, as those are the only ones for which I feel there's a semi chance.
I would do that too, but alas there are never any of these in my CB so I never have any preferences. I put in for almost anything covering my income bracket, but I will skip it if the rent is too high. There is one listing in the Rockaways now that I could apply for, and while appealing to be by the beach, I am skipping that one because I don't drive and the commute to my job in East Harlem is just too far.

Anyway, Strivers Plaza seems to be taking longer than usual to put up the numbers.

Old 10-31-2016, 03:37 PM

I have few in my CB too, but there's a couple right now. I'm going to apply to the one in Rockaways. I love the Rockaways, and if I get called I'll worry about transportation then, but it's so unlikely that I'll get a low enough number that I'll be spared the wrenching decision of whether I could live there. If you're not in the CB, you need a ridiculously low number. Also, this whole process takes so long (years sometimes) that you could be in a different life situation by the time you get contacted, and a development that might not have seemed right for you when you applied, now is. You never know.

Last edited by Moving415; 10-31-2016 at 03:59 PM..

Old 10-31-2016, 08:13 PM

7,903 posts, read 7,875,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Anyone applied to the now closed Strivers Plaza?
I halfheartedly did, so I'm expecting a halfhearted log number.
I'm just not too thrilled about living in that neighborhood, to be honest.
i "halfheartedly" (using your term) did too. It's Harlem, and I did it on a aah, they probably will not select me for this one anyway

Old 11-01-2016, 07:48 AM

Quote:
I have few in my CB too, but there's a couple right now. I'm going to apply to the one in Rockaways. I love the Rockaways, and if I get called I'll worry about transportation then, but it's so unlikely that I'll get a low enough number that I'll be spared the wrenching decision of whether I could live there. If you're not in the CB, you need a ridiculously low number. Also, this whole process takes so long (years sometimes) that you could be in a different life situation by the time you get contacted, and a development that might not have seemed right for you when you applied, now is. You never know.
The Rockaways actually look serene - apartments seem to have ocean views. The only thing that kills me is the commute. I'm having a hard time from within Manhattan itself, I don't want to make my situation worse!

Old 11-01-2016, 09:46 AM

I agree, but given that years can pass between applying for a development and getting contacted about it, you could have a different job by then with a different commute. Heck, given the lengthy process, you could even be retired.

Old 11-01-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
I agree, but given that years can pass between applying for a development and getting contacted about it, you could have a different job by then with a different commute. Heck, given the lengthy process, you could even be retired.
lol so true.

By the way, they must have read our posts cause the status changed to, "lottery pending"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City