Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 02:39 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,892,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
You have a serious attitude problem and if it's true, as the above poster says, that you're a grad student, that would explain a lot. You can't just parrot what you hear with no life experience to back it up. I'm also 57 and I can tell you that all the education in the world doesn't mean squat when you pass over that great dividing line of 50. Some say 40. In fact, all that expensive education and student debt isn't doing much for recent grads, like you might be some day. Good luck, do tell us all how you're doing when the time comes.
I have plenty of experience, and I am not in my 20s put it like that.

Some of you old people here student and you assume the person is 21. I had plenty of work experience BEFORE grad school, and It was my choice to go. Let's just say I am not in my 20s.

So spare me lectures from failed old drunks with poor job skills who live in shelters and have no education. I'm not a young man. I got a teaching job in my late 30s and to stay in the field I needed to get a masters. Teachers have no problem teaching over 40 or 50 btw. Many people older people (mid 20s-40s) go to grad school as a way of making more money from the jobs they ALREADY have.

And I've had my share of jobs long before I taught.

Oh and the older people in my family were able to keep their jobs through retirement and are property owners. It's not my fault you guys are were you are, and honestly you have to examine yourselves to find out what brought you there.

And honestly, if you guys were not so defensive and sensitive you would not be where you are now. Admit there's a lot of stuff you don't know (nobody knows everything) and learn from the relevant professionals.

Last edited by NyWriterdude; 10-09-2016 at 03:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 03:19 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,427,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I guess this is a good, useful post, though depressing. Probably even more useful if you're mentioned the "ton" of eating places.

One odd element is the assumption that a person would have a gym membership. If someone is in a downward spiral, you'd think he would have eliminated nonessentials like that.
Well I think the idea would be to have the cheapest gym membership possible so you can bathe on a regular basis

Old 10-09-2016, 03:27 PM

14,022 posts, read 13,842,203 times
NYC homeless shelter population hits record high 60,000 - NY Daily News

Old 10-12-2016, 10:44 AM

738 posts, read 583,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Some of you old people here student and you assume the person is 21. I had plenty of work experience BEFORE grad school, and It was my choice to go. Let's just say I am not in my 20s.

So spare me lectures from failed old drunks with poor job skills who live in shelters and have no education.

"old people here student'? What's that supposed to mean?

I hope you did'nt teach this lousy grammar to your students, along with your generally nasty, abusive attitude.

Old 10-13-2016, 06:12 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,562,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve1 View Post
"old people here student'? What's that supposed to mean?

I hope you did'nt teach this lousy grammar to your students, along with your generally nasty, abusive attitude.
WildCardSteve, don't pay him any attention. He's always had that attitude on this forum.

Old 10-13-2016, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
WildCardSteve, don't pay him any attention. He's always had that attitude on this forum.

Yes, I've allowed myself to be drawn, which is a waste of energy.

Old 10-18-2016, 02:48 PM

Oh, well. Persistence pays off. It looks like I have a job and a gig.

The job is in sales, never a strong point of mine but I'm going to make it one. The gig is in writing blog posts for some company that sells lab equipment. There the challenge will be to turn out work product they like. The deal is 900 words for 75 bucks.

At last! Hopefully, I'll be on my way out of Chez Homeless soon.

Old 10-18-2016, 03:41 PM

2,591 posts, read 3,384,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve1 View Post
Oh, well. Persistence pays off. It looks like I have a job and a gig.

The job is in sales, never a strong point of mine but I'm going to make it one. The gig is in writing blog posts for some company that sells lab equipment. There the challenge will be to turn out work product they like. The deal is 900 words for 75 bucks.

At last! Hopefully, I'll be on my way out of Chez Homeless soon.
There you go! That's the spirit. If only more people were as motivated as you are then the homeless issue in the city wouldn't be as bad. Sadly you are by far the minority in my experience. This wasn't an attack on you, more like a kudos. So don't go attacking me like I stole something from you.

Old 10-19-2016, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
There you go! That's the spirit. If only more people were as motivated as you are then the homeless issue in the city wouldn't be as bad. Sadly you are by far the minority in my experience. This wasn't an attack on you, more like a kudos. So don't go attacking me like I stole something from you.

No, of course not. Thanks for your kind words. Now, I hope that I can do the darn job, selling something.

A lot of people I'm in the shelter with have disabilities or health problems that make it hard for them to work. One guy I know has some kind of leg injury (the specifics really aren't my business) that is very slow to heal. He wants to work! He doesn't relish idleness any more than I.

Whats making it a little difficult is that there is no hot water or laundry service at the shelter, and the staffers don't seem to know when it will be restored. I get this "no ones in charge" feeling. These people would last about 20 seconds in private business. I will manage but it makes it all that much harder for me to get back in the groove, which is what they say they are trying to help with. But their "help" fails to be helpful. The taxpayer is getting ripped off.

Old 10-24-2016, 09:37 AM

Well, they got the hot water back on. Still no laundry service. Got to wash my shirts in the sink.

I have to see my caseworker about MetroCards. I walked from Bushwick to Times Square this AM. Took me a little over 3 hours. Hopefully I will get a positive response, because almost 7 hours of walking on top of working a full day is going to be a strain on my 57 year old body.

But I'll do it. I want to get out of there and be a normal person again.

Their help isn't terribly helpful. If they'd just front me the damn MetroCards I'd pay them back with my first check.

I don't want a hand out. I'm trying my ass off to get out of this mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City