Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 02:53 PM

337 posts, read 423,958 times

Advertisements

Just got a letter from NYCDEP who is partnering with AWR (American Water Resources). Apparently they are notifying residents that the city is not responsible for paying for a damaged waste or water line (Which i knew) They are offering a $12.96 monthly premium as insurance. If our waste line were to bust i am guessing (Pending their terms and conditions) they would cover the cost of replacing the line. Heres the thing, before i bought my new place the past owners just put in a new waste line. I am thinking these waste lines last at-least 25-30 years. Would this insurance be worth it? Anyone ever hear it? Strange that the DEP is recommending an insurance company. Someones pockets are getting lined..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 03:48 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,903,477 times
DEP issued a Request for Proposals (RFP) for companies to provide this service. AWR was the one that was competitively selected.

I've been getting this mailer since they established this program a few years ago. I will take my chances and not take the insurance.

Old 10-05-2016, 04:11 PM

419 posts, read 625,905 times
if you have big trees around then you should get one, most of time waste/water line are busted by tree roots otherwise waste of money.

Old 10-05-2016, 05:03 PM

Seems like it only benefits those who live in a old brownstone on a very busy old street. I dont need to be shafted by another insurance company ill take my chances with the old crossing my fingers technique.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:33 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,715,860 times
the cost is in the permitting fees along with the contractors to use an excavator and trench out the old pipe. The new pipe itself costs almost nothing, but in NYC The whole replacement would run between $20,000 to $40,000 just because that's the kind of racket you deal with in NYC

Old 10-05-2016, 08:05 PM

3,731 posts, read 3,466,157 times
So I just went through this.

Been paying for the AWR coverage for about 2 years and it just saved my ass. Our sewer line busted and sewage started backing up into the house. Call AWR and they sent someone out the next morning.

Guys came in with their fancy equipment and cameras, confirmed a break and they let AWR HQ Know. AWR called me and said that it's a confirmed break and that I was fully covered for repair.

Next Day I wake up and there are huge trucks outside breaking up the sidewalk as well as DEP and Con Edison. Wow! These folks work fast!

By the end of the day I had a new sewer line and at the end of the week they re-cemented the sidewalk.

Everything was 100% covered except for a small portion of the sidewalk that I had to pay out of pocket to get re-cemented since it was my property and not city property.

Anyway - that's my story. Well worth the coverage and nobody tried pulling a fast one.

P.S. Plumbers told me good thing I had coverage because it was a $12,000 job.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post

Been paying for the AWR coverage for about 2 years and it just saved my ass. Our sewer line busted and sewage started backing up into the house. Call AWR and they sent someone out the next morning.

Guys came in with their fancy equipment and cameras, confirmed a break and they let AWR HQ Know. AWR called me and said that it's a confirmed break and that I was fully covered for repair.

Next Day I wake up and there are huge trucks outside breaking up the sidewalk as well as DEP and Con Edison. Wow! These folks work fast!

By the end of the day I had a new sewer line and at the end of the week they re-cemented the sidewalk.

Everything was 100% covered except for a small portion of the sidewalk that I had to pay out of pocket to get re-cemented since it was my property and not city property.

Anyway - that's my story. Well worth the coverage and nobody tried pulling a fast one.

How long were you living there? Do you know if the waste line was ever repaired or was it original?

Old 10-05-2016, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post

And the very next day after getting your new pipes you cancelled the insurance

Old 10-05-2016, 09:37 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,183,540 times
Without me fetching my policy, would this not be something that homeowners insurance would cover?

Old 10-06-2016, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
Without me fetching my policy, would this not be something that homeowners insurance would cover?
I think this is an area of gap in coverage. The sewer & supply line isn't part of your home but if it breaks the city isn't responsible for fixing it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City