Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 12:01 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
If I'm invested in being an internet loudmouth and you have 7x more posts than me, than what does that make you? The only reason I can even reply to your moronic posts this week is because I'm on vacation. I enjoy it to a certain extent but I'd probably have 10X your post count if I could sit all day and refute your incoherence.

You haven't studied anything worthwhile. You live in the bubble of academia where reality doesn't exist. You read a few articles and make grandiose, overarching straw man arguments that are factually incorrect.

Where have you seen instant, massive elimination of jobs?
The necessary technology, regulations, and corporate bureaucracies take DECADES to get things going.

As an example, we're talking about driverless trucks now and they'll only happen in 20+ years. Make no bones about it. It will happen but it won't be instant.

Your arguments are complete straw men most of the time.
Not straw arguments. We currently have rising homelessness states such as California and New York. So please explain how outright massive elimination of jobs you advocate for is a good idea. What will these people do next, if they are able to find employment at all? And the increase in homelessness suggests a good number of them will not be able to do so. Those excluded from the mainstream economy typically turn to crime, and this is well known.

Oh I love academia. You know both my schools alumnae networks are FANTASTIC with people in a number of high profile companies, government agencies, NGOs, and the like. It's a pretty good deal and I'm in a place of having my choice of jobs all around the world. I'm loving it.

And I know a lot more about the difficulties of the job market than from reading a few articles. I've worked in adult education, and people who get laid off cannot that easily reinvent myself. And yes awhile ago I worked in human resources. Laid off low skilled people have extreme difficulty finding other jobs.

At the same time, it seems like you've Donald Trump II. Launch into off topic tirades of personal insults every time you hear something you don't want to hear. You advocate massive layoffs, for example, but you don't want to hear that those layoffs have enormous consequences for those laid off,for their families, for their communities, and for the society as a whole. So just like Trump wants to label everything he hates as "government" or "liberal" you decide to label things you don't like as "academic". For your info, most of the people who to go top schools do not work in academia (though some choose to, and nothing is wrong with that).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 12:10 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Not straw arguments. We currently have rising homelessness states such as California and New York. So please explain how outright massive elimination of jobs you advocate for is a good idea. What will these people do next, if they are able to find employment at all? And the increase in homelessness suggests a good number of them will not be able to do so. Those excluded from the mainstream economy typically turn to crime, and this is well known.

Oh I love academia. You know both my schools alumnae networks are FANTASTIC with people in a number of high profile companies, government agencies, NGOs, and the like. It's a pretty good deal and I'm in a place of having my choice of jobs all around the world. I'm loving it.
Do you have short term memory loss? You contradicted yourself in the same paragraph.

Even if I or someone else wanted to eliminate massive amounts of jobs overnight, how would we do it? It's virtually impossible because as soon as we do, aggregate demand will outweigh aggregate supply and those people will be hired right back by someone else.

I'll forgive you since you haven't worked in the real world but things take time. Strategy doesn't get executed overnight. Any "massive" trend usually occurs over the medium-long term.

You'll stay in academia or maybe go government/NGO's because most people there are just as useless as in academia. The private sector isn't for you. You'll get eaten alive. If I have to guess it will be academia or government. You'll be very comfortable around the same bull****ters.

btw, the rising homeless population in NYC has more to do with the city and state ending certain rental subsidy programs, the ****ed up housing market in NYC, and the opioid epidemic than jobs.

If we're virtually at full employment and homelessness is rising , does that mean that if the unemployment rises then homelessness will fall? lol

Last edited by wawaweewa; 10-21-2016 at 12:20 PM..

Old 10-21-2016, 12:50 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Do you have short term memory loss? You contradicted yourself in the same paragraph.

Even if I or someone else wanted to eliminate massive amounts of jobs overnight, how would we do it? It's virtually impossible because as soon as we do, aggregate demand will outweigh aggregate supply and those people will be hired right back by someone else.

I'll forgive you since you haven't worked in the real world but things take time. Strategy doesn't get executed overnight. Any "massive" trend usually occurs over the medium-long term.

You'll stay in academia or maybe go government/NGO's because most people there are just as useless as in academia. The private sector isn't for you. You'll get eaten alive. If I have to guess it will be academia or government. You'll be very comfortable around the same bull****ters.

btw, the rising homeless population in NYC has more to do with the city and state ending certain rental subsidy programs, the ****ed up housing market in NYC, and the opioid epidemic than jobs.

If we're virtually at full employment and homelessness is rising , does that mean that if the unemployment rises then homelessness will fall? lol
Hmmmm. Are you bitter because you have NO JOB?

I guess that's what happens when you graduate from no name schools with poor alum networks.

My current job is private sector, and it has not eaten me alive. I'm enjoying it. I've done private sector jobs for most of my life, and grad school was just a way to BOOST my earning there, though I don't mind working in any sector and that includes education or NGOs. It's nice to have alumnae networks that support if I want to work in ANY of those sectors.

According to some economists the rising homelessness in certain big cities has to do with escalating housing costs and stagnant wages. So again please explain how laying off lots of people like you want is going to help that situation.

You can't. And you know it so you go on with the personal insults.

Old 10-21-2016, 01:10 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
It's a noble description.

Two problems come into mind.

#1- Would you describe your work drive as average, above or below. It sounds as if a good portion of the workforce may not be able to rise to this.

#2- If 40 years from now we have 25% more population, and machines are 25% more efficient (break less). We're at a much tighter job market.

Bringing it back to the original topic-

Tolling by camera.

You can replace 210 people (three shifts per booth for 24 hour coverage) with 70 cameras that cost $1000 a year to power, maintain/replace with 7 workers who monitor remotely and can repair..

Given Salaries + Benefits for toll collectors costing NYS 60K per year= 12.6 Million a year for labor.
Let's pay the 7 remote workers 100K a year for their technical repair skill = 770K a year.

The Automation will decimate certain industries. Jobs that are no longer useful or necessary. The vast complaint will come from places like NYC where costs are high and 40K + Benefits to do a useless job is *necessary* to allow a poor class to live here.

NYC and The US in general needs a plan for low-skill, low-educated people to keep themselves busy. They likely aren't necessary in the future workplace, and to pay them to do tasks we don't need them to do is asinine and harmful to the actually productive middle class.
The only answer i can give you is my work motivation has always been very highly motivated. I grew up in a nyc project and there was no way i would ever raise my own family in one.

Old 10-21-2016, 02:41 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,878 times
Quote:
Hmmmm. Are you bitter because you have NO JOB?

I guess that's what happens when you graduate from no name schools with poor alum networks.

My current job is private sector, and it has not eaten me alive. I'm enjoying it. I've done private sector jobs for most of my life, and grad school was just a way to BOOST my earning there, though I don't mind working in any sector and that includes education or NGOs. It's nice to have alumnae networks that support if I want to work in ANY of those sectors.

According to some economists the rising homelessness in certain big cities has to do with escalating housing costs and stagnant wages. So again please explain how laying off lots of people like you want is going to help that situation.

You can't. And you know it so you go on with the personal insults.
Yes, I have no job. That's why you have 7X the number of posts that I do?

You just incoherently threw in housing costs in NYC and SF with stagnant median wages?
Do you really believe that median wage earners were the homeless ones all along?

Of course you don't. You're just ignorant and spout nonsense after reading an article or two.
You just write nonsense.

Stick to adult education. I don't doubt you're good at that.

Old 10-21-2016, 04:08 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times
Quote:
To use your example, compete automation has gotten rid of 210 workers, and likely 7 workers had to be hired to manage the automated equipment.

You said NY and the US in general need a plan for low-skill, low educated people to keep themselves busy,but you contradict that in saying to pay them to do tasks we don't need to them is harmful to the active middle class.

Unemployed, low skill, low income people if pushed out into homelessness en masse would be more likely to commit various kinds of crime, and that is a very dangerous situation for the "productive" middle class. Keep these people employed and busy.

I'm not against technological innovation, but it does not need to be done in such a way where it instantly eliminates massive number of jobs WITHOUT any other employment alternative for those people. In the example you gave it's possible that a majority of those people may find stable work again, with huge consequences not just for themselves, but for their families and communities and for the nation as a whole which will have to deal with them in some form or another.
It's not contradictory at all.

I said we need a plan on what to do with them, not giving them inflated pay for jobs that are worthless.

If they want to be employed and busy, that's one thing... but employed to a level to afford New York City without tremendous government handouts, is absolutely another. An alternative is to live somewhere far cheaper.

Those families and communities have breadwinners who took cash and gave change, there are thousands others like that in NYC, but none that paid the wasteful money the state was giving. Eventually automation makes many jobs redundant. Those families may just never live the same quality of life again. Meanwhile, millions are saved annually which results in lower taxation for every resident of NYS.

The reality is a smaller workforce means many changes are needed.

Old 10-21-2016, 04:09 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
The only answer i can give you is my work motivation has always been very highly motivated. I grew up in a nyc project and there was no way i would ever raise my own family in one.
It sounds like it.
NYC is very much a tough race. Those who have no drive or motivation are really just wasting space on the track.

Old 10-21-2016, 04:10 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
those that want to succeed will find a way- the rest just find an excuse ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City