Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 07:47 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
NYC tap water is better than NJ tap water. Upstate reservoirs are in a more pristine setting than the reservoirs in NJ.

The NJ reservoirs where our water comes from are surrounded by homes and busy roads (there's gas stations across the street from the reservoir in Parsippany that supplies Jersey City for chrissakes!) On top of that, idiot homeowners here like to spray their yards with chemical fertilizers, herbicides and pesticides. Needless to say, surface and underground runoff water from them into the reservoirs can't be good.

Whereas the upstate reservoirs where NYC water comes from are surrounded mostly by protected and undeveloped woodland.

You guys have it better than us when it comes to tap water.

antinimby,
I have to disagree with you a bit. I found Jersey City water, when it was running, was as good or better than New York City water. Of course that is for water that has been allowed to stand in the fridge overnight.
I lived in Newport where they had run brand new mains and pipes. Other parts of the old city may not have fared as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 08:46 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,915,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve1 View Post
Perhaps it's the chlorine? TRy a carbon block filter. Not expensive at all.
Not chlorine, that has a distinctive taste. This is something in the pipes in the house itself, not a distaste for NYC water. I've always lived here and always drank it. My sink is too small for any of the filters on faucets, and my fridge is too small for a Brita. So, I found a brand of cheap bottled water that I buy for home. 3 1.5L bottles for $2. Works for me.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:21 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,223,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
antinimby,
I have to disagree with you a bit. I found Jersey City water, when it was running, was as good or better than New York City water. Of course that is for water that has been allowed to stand in the fridge overnight.
I lived in Newport where they had run brand new mains and pipes. Other parts of the old city may not have fared as well.
That may very well be a function of the pipes in the buildings. There's no way NJ reservoirs are in a more pristine environment than Upstate NY reservoirs. That's not even taking into account the dirtier air here in North Jersey.

Old 11-01-2016, 06:34 PM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,085,471 times
OP...actually NYC is just fair to OK but nothing great. It is better than Dallas, a little better than Jersey City and not as good as Charlotte.

Here are the test photos...see for yourself.

https://danielteolijr.wordpress.com/2016/01/18/6035/

Old 11-01-2016, 06:38 PM

Quote:
That may very well be a function of the pipes in the buildings. There's no way NJ reservoirs are in a more pristine environment than Upstate NY reservoirs. That's not even taking into account the dirtier air here in North Jersey.
Yes, pipes make a difference. The NYC water I tested was from new construction at the WTC. If you got some old pipes in the Village it may be dirtier.

Old 11-01-2016, 06:40 PM

Quote:
antinimby,
Can't say about taste. I never taste the water samples before testing. But Jersey City is about double as dirty as NYC as a rough estimate.

See photos for comparison, you decide.

I plan to be back in April 2017 and will hopefully test Hoboken and maybe Newark. (But Newark is kinda iffy.)

Old 11-01-2016, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve1 View Post
There's bottled water I think tastes worse than NYC tap water. Like, Evian.

Look at the label, it's easy to see why. The sulfate content, at 15 ppm, is three times higher than NYC tap. This has no health relevance, but to me gives the water a flat, unpleasant taste, to my palate, anyway.

Evian is the king of mineral waters. if you want minerals , Evian is the champ. See previous link for photos.

Old 11-01-2016, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Yes, I can almost always taste the plastic.

You have to get hard plastic bottled water, like the 5 gal jugs. Some of the soft plastics may give a little taste. If worried, get a distiller.

The water purification machines do an outstanding job with tap water.

See Kroger and Walmart water purification machines here

But you poor Ny'ers got to lug all them gallons back home on the subway! I'm from L.A. and have been living in the rustbelt for 25 years. Have always had a car. I had never seen such a thing as the subways of NY. What do you do in the hot summer? Carry coolers on the subway to take home your store bought cold food?

Anyway, back to the NY water. If you got newish construction your water is doable in NYC. Look at Chillicothe and some of the other Ohio water in the link above. Be glad you not drinking some of that water. Or Wheeling, WV water. All the cities dump their toilets in the river and that is where the tap water comes from. If that was not bad enough, the factories dump all their chemicals in the river.

Old 11-01-2016, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Do anyone else get a chemical aftertaste from bottled water? I just chalk it up to the plastic chemicals leaching into the water.
Sometimes I get heartburn. That was why I started to distill water.

Some bottled water is pretty dirty as well. See the spring water tests in previous link. Crystal Geyser Alpine spring water looks pretty nasty. Bottled drinking water is not the same as purified drinking water either.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:00 PM

524 posts, read 521,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
You have to get hard plastic bottled water, like the 5 gal jugs. Some of the soft plastics may give a little taste. If worried, get a distiller.
After a decade of drinking Crystal Water in the 16 ounce plastic bottles, I notice the taste has changed for the worst. Crystal water in the 16 ounce bottles now tastes like swamp water. Particularly the new 16 ounce bottles with the little ridges at the top of the bottle near the cap. I stuck to buying the old, smooth Crystal 16 ounce bottles, but now they are putting the swamp water in those bottles as well. Crystal is bottled at a plant here in Georgia. I wonder what's affecting the taste quality?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City