Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 06:56 PM
e_D e_D started this thread

86 posts, read 80,919 times

Advertisements

What are some realistically affordable options in NYC? I got a few quotes from some highly rated movers and most were a ridiculously high flat rate ($800!) for a small studio's worth of furniture.

I'm trying to keep it under $300, and I'm totally willing to rent a Uhaul but I'm not sure if there are any services where I can just hire some people to help move stuff on and off the truck instead of renting the people and the truck from a single company, and no doubt getting hustled and upsold on supplies and stuff.

Does anyone know of any super affordable all-in-one services, or a service where I can just hire some dudes to drive with me from point A to point B and move things off the truck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 07:11 PM

991 posts, read 1,760,241 times
Your estimates are pretty much in the ballpark for reputable movers in the city. Keep in mind at the end of the month they also have minimum hours so I think the lowest you're going to get a move is about $600.

There is the two guys and a van which can come out cheaper, they are the ones with Craiglist or flyers on telegraph poles in your area. Look at their rate per hour (which is usually around $50 per man). They usually expect everything to be packed before they arrive and then just do the moving.

Old 10-10-2016, 08:26 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,009,751 times
I can't recommend any, but try searching the Labor/Move section of craigslist for key words like "helper" or "unloading"

new york labor & moving "moving helpers" - craigslist

new york labor & moving "unloading" - craigslist

Old 10-10-2016, 08:33 PM

3,672 posts, read 3,396,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedbeats View Post
What are some realistically affordable options in NYC? I got a few quotes from some highly rated movers and most were a ridiculously high flat rate ($800!) for a small studio's worth of furniture.

I'm trying to keep it under $300, and I'm totally willing to rent a Uhaul but I'm not sure if there are any services where I can just hire some people to help move stuff on and off the truck instead of renting the people and the truck from a single company, and no doubt getting hustled and upsold on supplies and stuff.

Does anyone know of any super affordable all-in-one services, or a service where I can just hire some dudes to drive with me from point A to point B and move things off the truck?
If you want reputable and insured movers, $800-$1000 for a studio is actually decent.

$300? LOL - You will get two immigrants with a 30 year old van and no insurance. Don't complain when they steal and/or break your things.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:07 AM

732 posts, read 869,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I can't recommend any, but try searching the Labor/Move section of craigslist for key words like "helper" or "unloading"

new york labor & moving "moving helpers" - craigslist

new york labor & moving "unloading" - craigslist
You don't need to use keywords.
Just use the category
new york labor & moving - craigslist

I don't suggest Craigslist. They may be cheap but they don't offer insurance, could be a scam like holding your items hostage until you pay their "true" price.

I used CL movers once. They had nice pictures of their clean Mercedes truck/van but when they came, it was an old Ford van and I had no choice since I had to move that day.

Price was good though. 1/4 than other movers. I gave them no tip.

If you have expensive furniture, I suggest using movers with a reputation.

Old 10-11-2016, 01:24 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,722,844 times
I have used "College Educated Movers" a few times and I was happy. I think I paid about $400, including tip to move a studio/one bedroom. They are actually rated pretty well on Yelp. You can get a quote online. They sent me two young chaps who got the job done pretty darn quick.

Just take note that they are not insured, so if your stuff breaks or blows up, they can only refund you your money. You typically pay in cash after the job is done.

If you don't have expensive stuff, this may be an option.

http://collegeeducatedmovers.com

Old 10-11-2016, 09:42 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,184,202 times
I've moved a lot in the city unless you want to spend hundreds of dollars, the best bet is to round up one of two friends and offer them $50, and rent a $100 unsullied truck. Movers gave me quotes like $600, 700, etc..

Old 10-11-2016, 10:11 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,009,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubering View Post
You don't need to use keywords.
Just use the category
new york labor & moving - craigslist
No, I suppose you don't "need to" use keywords, but using keywords in this case would save a huge amount of time and energy.

The category you gave is for the entire category of moving and labor. Using the keywords I suggested narrows down the listings to show you where you can hire a couple of people to help with the loading and unloading (not an actual mover or moving company with a truck/driver, etc.)

If that's what you are looking for, I'm not sure why you'd want to read every single listing and search them with your eyes, when you can use the computer to do it in a fraction of the time.

If you re-read the OP, you will see he said: "I'm not sure if there are any services where I can just hire some people to help move stuff on and off the truck instead of renting the people and the truck from a single company"

Old 10-12-2016, 12:11 PM
e_D e_D started this thread

86 posts, read 80,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
I have used "College Educated Movers" a few times and I was happy. I think I paid about $400, including tip to move a studio/one bedroom. They are actually rated pretty well on Yelp. You can get a quote online. They sent me two young chaps who got the job done pretty darn quick.

Just take note that they are not insured, so if your stuff breaks or blows up, they can only refund you your money. You typically pay in cash after the job is done.

If you don't have expensive stuff, this may be an option.

http://collegeeducatedmovers.com
Thanks, I'll look into these guys. I found a EQmovers as well which seems to be hundreds less than other services.

Old 10-12-2016, 03:05 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,912,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedbeats View Post
Thanks, I'll look into these guys. I found a EQmovers as well which seems to be hundreds less than other services.
I actually used EQ movers and didn't have a problem with them. The moved my stuff fast and cheap. Nothing was broken. I have recommended them to a few people, and they all said they did a fair job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City