Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 06:46 PM

2 posts, read 8,135 times

Advertisements

First, I really love my CUNY college (Hunter). I went to NYU and it was fine! However, I found many students were from the Mid-West and tried to emulate the characters from "Friends" or "Gossip Girls". PUHLEEZE! The professors were great but having gone to private and public, I saw no difference. NYU and Hunter College professors were very good and I learned so much from both schools. CUNY is great because it's affordable and you can get a great education, just paying less. NYU is mostly for the reputation.
In all honestly, it's really what you do AFTER you graduate, who you know and where you go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 07:51 PM

11 posts, read 45,477 times
Default bad experiences can be due to other factors

This is a very interesting thread. Some of the posters cite their bad experience teaching at CUNY as a basis for denigrating the entire University system. Learning is a two-way street...the students need to be motivated and the teacher must be good at their job. Perhaps inadequacies on the part of the instructor may lead to bad impressions of the CUNY system as a whole. The same could be said for students who thought their education at CUNY was a joke. I believe that you get what you want out of your education. If you think that your degree is a joke, maybe the joke is on you.

My point in saying all this is that our personal experiences from within the education system will color our opinions (good or bad). So maybe those who interact with CUNY students and faculty from outside the system (e.g. employers and graduate school advisers, professional societies, peers, etc.) will have the most objective and accurate assessments.

For example, the poster who thought the Special Education degree was inadequate may turn out to be a dynamite special ed. teacher. This might lead his/her peers to believe that the CUNY preparation was outstanding. Who's opinion would be more valuable in this situation?

Old 05-15-2008, 10:07 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,383,080 times
CUNY is absolutely horrid. It's like an extention of the crappy public school system in new york. But even with this said I do NOT recommend anyone attend NYU either which is probably the most popular private school there. They charge ivy league prices for basically nothing. In the end I'm not certain what college teaches you anyway. In this day and age you can learn more from the internet about making money than you ever could in a classroom.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:19 AM

2 posts, read 8,135 times
As a born and bred New Yorker, the public school system depends on which one you go to. I went to both private (Catholic) and Public (High School). The only difference is you pay for one and get beat up by nuns and the other you get beat up by students. Both had fantastic teachers. The big difference in the school system is the students and their socio-economic status. Poorer students (NOT ALL OF THEM) tend to due worse. In Private, you are expected to get good grades.

It's hard to say CUNY is an extension of the "crappy school system". Stuyvesant High is one of the best and most of the students come from RICH families (HELLO, I WENT THERE! I KNOW!) The "Fame School" is part of it and they made a movie about it! ( I SAW 10TIMES AND MY OLDER SISTER WENT THERE! VERY SELECTIVE). Do not judge the NYC school system based on a few bad schools. Most large cities have "crappy school" but then again you never see any of the students in the NYC public school system bring in a rifle and shoot down the teachers and students e.g., COLUMBINE!

Virginia Tech is another example. Just recently, at CCNY, a student brought in a gun to take care of broken heart and NO ONE WAS HURT!

So, each and every one of us, our educational experience is different.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:00 PM

4 posts, read 11,943 times
Ok this is completely ludicrous. I transfer from another state, and CUNY IS THE WORSE SCHOOL EVER> Specially y the math department at queensborough community college. There are honors students who cant pass the math 13 and math10 classes.

They lectures are given in one way, and the final exam, wich is prepared by the department show totally different deal. Every student in cuny take those classes at least 2 or 3 times. The highest number of times i have heard of is 9 times.

There are tons of students complaining abou this. One honors student with a GPA of 3.4 staid in the pre-algebra class 4 semester. The last two semester, she attend only that pre-algebra math class for one entire year.

The math department constantly changes the books, and 80% of the professors who teach this pre-algebra classes are SIMPLE TERRIBLE. They all adjoint professors, with zero skillls on how to teach. Many are there for the pay check. Others have such of heavy accents that are very difficult to understand, the tutoring center is always pack and is not well organized. Two students seat next to the tutors in a round table and never move from hours, making it impossible for others to brake in. The tutors dont move from their seats to attend other students.

You go to ratemyprofessor, and there are horrible reviews about queensborough pre-algebra math professors.

The students that do pass those classes are students who already took algebra en hight school, or other country or schools, and they able to manage by themselves to understand the material or remember material from their previous schools.

The math department give students a final exam practice paper, which consist of very easy problems, and processors tell students that is all they need to study. Then when the exam comes in, the problems are very different from the lectures in lass and not even similar to the easy ones they put on the practice exam paper..

In general, more than 40% of students who take this class fail. THat is a very high rate for a remedial class that is suppose to be easy. If the math department didnt set the student for fail, by presenting trick or different material, then it wont be as difficult to to pass. --And when i mean difficult is not about easy manth problems, but to not trick students with questions that werent really practise in class or in their

And as for the honors student I spoke about earlier, she's finally graduating. After spending 4 years in queensborough community college, and all that due to ONE math. (pre-algebra. HOpe someone takes noticed and take action to correct this mess. Is affecting students lives.

As for me, i have decided to got student loans and go to a private university where i can find honest, who care about their students, and provides organized and high quality education.

One insider staff memeber of queensborough told me in confidence that Cuny is in for the money, not the students. By holding them back with the math class, the school makes more profit.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:17 PM

Anyone here posting positive review about Cuny work for CUNY. Which doesnt count.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:19 PM

Ok this is all bull ****. I transfer from another state, and CUNY IS THE WORSE SCHOOL EVER> Specially y the math department at queensborough community college. There are honors students who cant mass the math 13 and math10 classes.

They lectures are given in one way, and the final exam, wich is prepared by the department show totally different deal. Every student in cuny take those classes at least 2 or 3 times. The highest number of times i have heard of is 9 times.

There are tons of students complaining abou this. One honors student with a GPA of 3.4 staid in the pre-algebra class 4 semester. The last two, she attend the entire year only for the math class.

The math department constantly changes the books and 80% of the professors who teaches this pre-algebra classes are SIMPLE TERRIBLE. The all adjoint professors, with zero skillls on how to teach. Many are there for the pay check.

You go to ratemyprofessor, and there are horrible reviews about queensborough pre-algebra math professors.

The students that do pass those classes are students that already took algebra en hight school, or other country or schools, and they able to manage by themselves to understand the material.

They give you a final exam practice paper, which consist of very easy problems, and processor tells you that is all you need to study. Then when the exam comes in, the problems are very different from the lectures in lass and completely not even similar to the easy ones they put on the practice exam paper..

In general, more than 40% of students who take this class fail. THat is a very high rate for a remedial class that is suppose to be easy. IF the math department didnt set the student for fail by presenting trick or different material. Then it wont be as hard to pass.

And for the honors student I spoke to. She finally is going to graduate after spending 4 years in queensborough community college, and all that due to math. HOpe someone takes noticed and take action to correct this mess. Is affecting students lives.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Unfortunately, whereas CUNY used to be quite selective, they are now just the final link in a chain of horrendous NYC schools: bad NYC grammar schools, to bad NYC public high schools, to bad NYC community colleges, to bad CUNY schools.
Agree with you.

Ok this is all bull ****. I transfer from another state, and CUNY IS THE WORSE SCHOOL EVER> Specially y the math department at queensborough community college. There are honors students who cant mass the math 13 and math10 classes.

There are tons of students complaining abou this. One honors student with a GPA of 3.4 staid in the pre-algebra class 4 semester. The last two, she attend the entire year only for the math class.

The math department constantly changes the books and 80% of the professors who teaches this pre-algebra classes are SIMPLE TERRIBLE. The all adjoint professors, with zero skillls on how to teach. Many are there for the pay check.

The students that do pass those classes are students that already took algebra en hight school, or other country or schools, and they able to manage by themselves to understand the material.

They give you a final exam practice paper, which consist of very easy problems, and processor tells you that is all you need to study. Then when the exam comes in, the problems are very different from the lectures in lass and completely not even similar to the easy ones they put on the practice exam paper..

In general, more than 40% of students who take this class fail. THat is a very high rate for a remedial class that is suppose to be easy. IF the math department didnt set the student for fail by presenting trick or different material. Then it wont be as hard to pass.

And for the honors student I spoke to. She finally is going to graduate after spending 4 years in queensborough community college, and all that due to math. HOpe someone takes noticed and take action to correct this mess. Is affecting students lives.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:46 AM

412 posts, read 1,326,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cunysucks View Post
Agree with you.

If she is a honor's student, why da heck did it take her 4 years to graduate with an associate degree when she could've transfer to a senior CUNY college and graduate with a Bachelors.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:53 AM

1,956 posts, read 4,874,864 times
Not every Cuny school is bad. I went to Kingsborough and I loved that school. The professors were really nice. I went to Brooklyn College and I hated it. The professors were stuckup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City