Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 09:17 AM

931 posts, read 801,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
It looks as though it has only take a few days for Trump to begin to squirm out of most of what he campaigned on.
So far he has indicated there might not be a big beautiful wall the length of the border, he might fix Obama care rather than repeal and replace it, he probably won't automatically deport illegal aliens and seems to waffling on whether he will appoint a special prosecutor to go after Hillary. He has also put as much distance as possible between himself and Christie and no longer seems to be considering Guiliani as AG.

I am not surprised because I knew this would all happen but am a bit surprised at how fast it is going down. Wondering what most of his most ardent supporters think of all this. If he backs off of his pledges to rip up and renegotiate all the trade deals and impose tariffs on imports there is not much left of what he ran on. Does anyone care?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...mepage%2Fstory

Trump heaps praise on ‘gracious’ Hillary Clinton | New York Post

It also looks like he is going out of his way to recruit Republicans who served in prior administration to fill government posts. Not sure that bodes well for the draining of the swamp.
If true, they all you Trump haters who bashed him for his proposals should become fans now since he won't be doing some of the things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2016, 09:18 AM

5,099 posts, read 4,959,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
A lot of Mexicans have left on their own too.
That points to an imminent burst of the RE bubble in nyc.

which deserves a separate thread of discussion.

Old 11-13-2016, 10:16 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
I will be happy if trump can prop up the economy and cut the debt in half by the time he retires from the office.

everything else cannot be any worse than the status quo that Obama had created.

if trump turns out to be one of the gr8est potus in the US history, that will be an additional bonus.
Spits out the coffee. Are you smoking crack or weed? Paying off that debt the US government has in its stomach is going to take about a decade, yet even if paid by half is going to take 8 years. As for propping up the economy? Trump is either going to have a New Deal type of scenario, or cut taxes for developers, and allow developers to build and give raises to employees.

Old 11-13-2016, 11:19 AM

738 posts, read 585,064 times
I'll be happy if he follows through with the pledge to rebuild infrastucture. That will create jobs, plus it's necessary.

Old 11-13-2016, 01:30 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,699,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
lol, no, he won't.

Needless to say, there will be no wall. There may be some sort of little token wall built, but nowhere near what he was talking about, and there is a 0% chance that Mexico will pay for it.

Also, there will be no ban of Muslims entering the country. If American citizens, that is blatantly illegal and far outside the scope of the president's powers.

Delusional is the word for anyone who thinks either of those two things stand a snowball's chance in hell of happening.
The "wall" would actually take many years to build...if hes continues with it.

Old 11-13-2016, 01:42 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
The "wall" would actually take many years to build...if hes continues with it.
The Chinese has cities built in the fraction of the time NYC installs the barrier on the BQE. It can be done when you appoint the right people to manage it and not so many mob bosses get all the contracts. That's what Trump was good at with Real estates, he knows how to get people working. One thing I hate about working for liberals is they are too lazy to manage workers. They think everything shouldn't be micro-managed. You do need to micro-manage people with this type of work.

Old 11-13-2016, 01:49 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,699,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
The Chinese has cities built in the fraction of the time NYC installs the barrier on the BQE. It can be done when you appoint the right people to manage it and not so many mob bosses get all the contracts. That's what Trump was good at with Real estates, he knows how to get people working. One thing I hate about working for liberals is they are too lazy to manage workers. They think everything shouldn't be micro-managed. You do need to micro-manage people with this type of work.
I wouldnt be so certain about that...but theres nothing wrong with being optimistic.

Old 11-13-2016, 02:11 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Lol. Soviet Union, nazis did not use private investments to build squat , even new deal projects were all funded by the government. Trump does in business and believes in small government. Private sector do not hire people in mass compared to countries like communist China, nazi Germany to communist Russia. I feel sorry for all those mid western Democratic uneducated whites who are hoping for Trump to toss them a bone. On the flip side nyc will still see a mass of educated whites moving here jacking up rents and over crowding our subway system.

Old 11-13-2016, 02:57 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Just announced that Reince Priebus will be White House Chief of Staff, a job the more right wing Trump people wanted to go to that Bannon guy. This is another big win for the more moderate establishment Republican forces.

It also looks like the deportation issue is settling out to be for now pretty much just what Obama has already been doing......concentration on deporting only illegals who have committed crimes and not bothering those who have been here for many years without any problems. Then they are going to "secure" the border first and decide what to do with the other illegals.This sounds like it's heading exactly to the arrangement that that the dems and Rubio and some other moderate Republicans were working on before the right wingers put a stop to it .

My guess is Trump will build a smalll partial wall somewhere along the border,declare the border now secure and then move forward with the rest. He will be able to say he built his wall but it will be a small fraction of what many imagined.

What's unfolding in general could be the beauty of Donald Trump if he plays hs cards right. He basically hijacked the Republican Party and he can now do what he wants with it which will probably be a lot of stuff that others ,especially moderates, could never have gotten away with.

I am becoming more and more convinced that Trump has no intention being the President some of his supporters imagined. All signs are pointing to a much more moderate Agenda.

Old 11-13-2016, 03:03 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
I highly doubt the most extreme of Trump's immigration plans will go through, that would be a huge mess. Trump might not even care that much about many of the issues he spoke about, he mostly just wanted to get elected. And if he cares about his legacy at all, he knows that attempting a Kristallnacht against illegal immigrants would look terrible.

Before NYwriterdude says "but you didn't expect he'd win either", I didn't think it was that unlikely Trump would win, Trump got lucky the Dems put up an unpopular candidate. Trump actually got less votes than Mitt Romney (who lost in a landslide) yet was still able to win. Aside from the fact he lost the popular vote.

On a side note, I cannot believe how many people do not vote in presidential elections, the voter turnout has been under 60% since 1972.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City