Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2016, 07:25 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,089,639 times

Advertisements

NYC has resumed special leaf collections in "certain areas" for composting that they did five or more years ago. OK fine, but how about informing residents when they will occur and that leaves will no longer be picked up with regular collections? I had one bag which was half garbage and half leaves because I didn't know about this and they didn't collect it. A simple postcard should be sent to everyone affected informing them about the program and the effective dates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 07:39 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,049,566 times
I think they sent the notice a few weeks back. Not sure if the date is the same everywhere, but in Northeast Queens the next time that they're taking leaves is Nov 20th. Luckily on my block the garbage man still took our leaves. We have huge tress on my block with leaves that drop throughout much of the summer and fall. The garbage men are use to our landscapers bagging leaves every single week so they had no problems tossing it. Seems that this is in all the outer boroughs, but since most of the posters here live in Manhattan or out of state this thread probably won't get much attention.

Last edited by bumblebyz; 11-14-2016 at 08:05 AM..

Old 11-17-2016, 06:44 AM

Sanitation came today and picked up all the trash including leaves. (I didn't put out my leaves.) The leaf collection is Sunday. Makes no sense they left the leaves on Monday and picked them up on Thursday, three days before the leaf collection. I think the Monday crew were just being jerks.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:20 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,049,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Sanitation came today and picked up all the trash including leaves. (I didn't put out my leaves.) The leaf collection is Sunday. Makes no sense they left the leaves on Monday and picked them up on Thursday, three days before the leaf collection. I think the Monday crew were just being jerks.
Yep they'll still pick up the leaves. I think it's really up to them. If you live in a house with lots of greenery obviously you'll have more leaves and etc to throw out than people who live in apartments and can't wait weeks for a pickup.

Did they also drop off a small brown compost garbage can for you? They dropped one off for my house yesterday and starting sometime in December I think we're suppose to separate organic disposables from everything else.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:27 AM

No compost bag for organics yet. As far as the leaves, the city website mentions special leaf collections but also says leaves can be put out with the trash. On Monday I had topped off a bag of garbage with some leaves and they left it. I yelled over to the sanitation guy about the bag as he hurried up the block and he yelled back leaf collection. I have to clean up leaves from city trees and sanitation can't get their act together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City