U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2016, 02:23 PM

1,015 posts, read 959,185 times

Advertisements

I am interested in buying a country/vacation house upstate somewhere where there are mountains, forests, lakes, hiking trails etc... I've largely narrowed this down to the Catskills and the Adirondacks. I am more interested in the Adirondacks because it is larger, however the Catskills appears to be much closer and offers similar features. I am interested in hearing from People about what the benefits and drawbacks are about each area of upstate. Particularly from people who are familiar with one of both of the areas. I am posting this here rather than in a upstate section of the forum because I'd like to hear from New Yorkers about their experience in both areas
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2016, 04:27 PM

11,961 posts, read 9,726,817 times
The Adirondacks has Lake Champlain, and Montreal not too far. Why not go to Canada instead? Buy something near Montreal or Quebec City. The Downstream St Lawrence past Quebec City is quaint, and weather is great in the summer.

The adirondacks may be bigger but unless you are into extreme wilderness survival, why do you need big space? And if you want bigger space, then there are much larger areas still. Catskills has more amenities.

Old 11-16-2016, 04:33 PM

that's a little bit too far. I want to have the option to go some weekends. Adirondacks is already 3-5 hours from NYC.

Old 11-16-2016, 04:48 PM

6,023 posts, read 6,295,125 times
I'd vote Catskills. When I was younger, a relative of mine had a vacation property that we traveled to regularly for the weekend. If you are planning on doing weekend trips, the longer drives will get tiresome. We would leave from Brooklyn on a Friday night after my dad got home from work, get there late and then leave Sunday afternoon, which really only gave you Saturday to enjoy an entire day---in that case, you REALLY don't want to be driving four or five hours regularly. Do you have any areas in mind?

My husband and I go camping regularly and we've been all over NY State. In the Adirondacks, you might go a LONG while before coming across a store you need depending on where you're located. I don't think the Adirondacks being larger should really factor into the decision. Have you visited both areas outside of large towns/cities?

We've hiked in both---you will find more challenging hikes in the Adirondacks but again, once you get up there, you'd probably spend more time driving around to these hikes anyway. Both areas have swaths of economic depression---are you looking to be in the middle of no where or are you looking for a place where you can do something in the area?

Old 11-16-2016, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I'd vote Catskills. When I was younger, a relative of mine had a vacation property that we traveled to regularly for the weekend. If you are planning on doing weekend trips, the longer drives will get tiresome. We would leave from Brooklyn on a Friday night after my dad got home from work, get there late and then leave Sunday afternoon, which really only gave you Saturday to enjoy an entire day---in that case, you REALLY don't want to be driving four or five hours regularly. Do you have any areas in mind?

My husband and I go camping regularly and we've been all over NY State. In the Adirondacks, you might go a LONG while before coming across a store you need depending on where you're located. I don't think the Adirondacks being larger should really factor into the decision. Have you visited both areas outside of large towns/cities?

We've hiked in both---you will find more challenging hikes in the Adirondacks but again, once you get up there, you'd probably spend more time driving around to these hikes anyway. Both areas have swaths of economic depression---are you looking to be in the middle of no where or are you looking for a place where you can do something in the area?
I have been to the Catskills, but not the Adirondacks. You are probably right even the Catskills can be a consuming drive. I'm attracted to how big the Adirondacks are because It seems it's so large that you could never finish exploring it all. I'm not super worried about the store situation is probably bring a lot of supplies up with me from the city in my keep every time I go anyway. the idea would definitely be to get out in the middle of nowhere and enjoy nature and outdoor activities

Old 11-16-2016, 09:38 PM

1,766 posts, read 1,000,669 times
Default Town of Gilboa.....

My friend bought 10 acres in Gilboa, in the Catskills, built a summer house, and remained in NYC. She recently purchased next to her summer home, another 53 acres. She wants her daughter and two sons to built homes in them....The prices are very nice. Look into it.....good-luck...

Old 11-16-2016, 09:43 PM

11,961 posts, read 9,726,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
that's a little bit too far. I want to have the option to go some weekends. Adirondacks is already 3-5 hours from NYC.
If you want close then Catskills is it. Every other weekend trip up to north of Albany is too much.

As for Canada, it depends on how much money you can spend for plane tickets and rental car. The flight is only like an hour.

Old 11-17-2016, 05:20 AM

6,023 posts, read 6,295,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
I have been to the Catskills, but not the Adirondacks. You are probably right even the Catskills can be a consuming drive. I'm attracted to how big the Adirondacks are because It seems it's so large that you could never finish exploring it all. I'm not super worried about the store situation is probably bring a lot of supplies up with me from the city in my keep every time I go anyway. the idea would definitely be to get out in the middle of nowhere and enjoy nature and outdoor activities
If you plan on taking short trips, bringing stuff up will not be an issue. But also keep in mind situations if you ever need something in an emergency or ASAP that isn't on-site---you don't want to be too far from anything in that case.

Realistically, if you are taking lots of weekend trips you won't be exploring much. You will probably end up spending some time on the upkeep of the property and then some time relaxing. You might explore if you're up at the property for a week or so, but if you're not going to have that opportunity very often, then you probably won't.

My husband and I talked about buying something dirt cheap upstate to run off to on the weekends but it is not realistic with my schedule. We also realized we love tent camping so that's our way of exploring---much cheaper that way at $20/night.

Old 11-17-2016, 09:58 AM

14,080 posts, read 11,815,516 times
How far do you want to drive?

Old 11-17-2016, 02:02 PM

10,780 posts, read 9,928,293 times
I'd go with the Taconic Mountains, which is like the NY extension of the Green and Berkshire mountain ranges of Vermont and Massachusetts, respectively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City