Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 05:14 PM

439 posts, read 357,525 times

Advertisements

So, I was watching SNL (yeah, I know...) and they did this sketch about a planned community called "The Bubble". Thing is, the sketch was actually referencing a mentality, call it a worldview, that many New Yorkers seem to have. It reminds me a lot of the attitude of the Québécois towards Anglophone Canada: We're okay, so the rest of the world doesn't really matter. Now, let me preface that by disclosing I no longer live in the City. That said, I did spend part of childhood in NYC, have worked there, and still live within the media market. As such, I've retained some of that New York "charm".

In anycase, has anyone else noticed the complete lack of regard for the rest of country? There was a contentious election the other day, and most of the threads dominating this section are concerning housing lotteries (which is completed understandable, considering the costs). That said, is it normal to be so myopic? I say this because I'm kinda myopic myself...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2016, 05:18 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,878 times
Of course. What's so surprising?
NYC is unlike the rest of the country and has been that way since New Amsterdam was founded. NYC is not representative of America.

Why do you think so many Midwesterners and Southerners flee here? Because they want more of the same?

Old 11-20-2016, 05:32 PM

439 posts, read 357,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
NYC is unlike the rest of the country and has been that way since New Amsterdam was founded. NYC is not representative of America.

Why do you think so many Midwesterners and Southerners flee here? Because they want more of the same?
Well, last I checked Trump is a NY'er (so's Senate Minority Leader, Chuck Schumer). If we're not representative of America, then America's in trouble...

Old 11-20-2016, 05:53 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,685 times
Yes but these "bubbles" are not limited to NYC. It's the larger metropolitan areas of this country that have similar mindsets. You only need to look at the electoral map to see it. The better question is: why do people who live in cities tend to have similar mentalities? My theory is that when you live in a large city, you're not only more likely to be exposed to different groups of people but you'll also need to work with and rely on these different types people in your daily life. It's likely the same reason universities have similar "bubbles" and why there are many studies that show a correlation between education and liberal POVs. Simply put, the more you have to interact and learn to work with people that are different from you, the more open minded you become.

That SNL skit, btw, was hilarious!

Old 11-20-2016, 05:54 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamaicaOnTheHudson View Post
Well, last I checked Trump is a NY'er (so's Senate Minority Leader, Chuck Schumer). If we're not representative of America, then America's in trouble...
Lol true.

Old 11-20-2016, 05:59 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:

I think the majority of MidWesterners or Southerners who come here come here to pursue careers they can't pursue back home. This doesn't mean the majority of Southerners or MidWesterners want to move here. Keep in mind too while a lot of people move here, a lot of people move away from here and this includes people born in NYC. NYC has always been a revolving door.

Old 11-20-2016, 06:17 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,878 times
Quote:
If Trump gets impeached during his first term, I don't think many Americans will find it surprising. Including those who voted for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I think the majority of MidWesterners or Southerners who come here come here to pursue careers they can't pursue back home. This doesn't mean the majority of Southerners or MidWesterners want to move here. Keep in mind too while a lot of people move here, a lot of people move away from here and this includes people born in NYC. NYC has always been a revolving door.
You think the majority come here to pursue careers? You must be living in a closet.

Many native NY'ers do move out of NYC and it's for the same reasons that transplants move here. A change of scenery.

Old 11-20-2016, 06:48 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
If Trump gets impeached during his first term, I don't think many Americans will find it surprising. Including those who voted for him.

You think the majority come here to pursue careers? You must be living in a closet.

Many native NY'ers do move out of NYC and it's for the same reasons that transplants move here. A change of scenery.
Yes, because I don't even think THAT many Southerners or Midwesterners move to NYC these days.

The prime areas of NYC are very expensive, and beyond that they'd have to live in mostly immigrant or Black neighborhoods. Not many Southerners or Westerners could do that long term.

Old 11-20-2016, 06:50 PM

575 posts, read 672,514 times
Quote:
Those are only two people out of a number approaching 9 million. You might as well have used Jeter and ARod to try to make that point. It just doesn't matter.

NYC is an island in the sea, unlike any other city in the old US of A. Methinks the NYC economy does not get better or worse in sync with the rest of the country. If it seems in sync, it has little, if anything, to do with LA, Chicago, Vegas, Orlando, or you name it.

New York is New York. We drive the train. The rest may try to keep up but it's hopeless.

As an example, unlike in most of America, the average person/family cannot make sense of buying rental property as an investment as the negative cash flow would scare away all but the wealthy. Here, the appreciation is what it's all about. You don't have to worry about gas prices, unemployment, etc. The prices pretty much just go up and up. In _________ (pick most any other city, or state) people try to find something with positive cash flow, or at worst, break even and hope for inflation to create appreciation. Here, it's all about the end game.

So. My answer to your two questions are YES and YES.

Old 11-21-2016, 01:59 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Yes, because I don't even think THAT many Southerners or Midwesterners move to NYC these days.

The prime areas of NYC are very expensive, and beyond that they'd have to live in mostly immigrant or Black neighborhoods. Not many Southerners or Westerners could do that long term.
But I think a lot of them move here/stay here because they like New York, in addition to career pursual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City