Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 11:45 AM

223 posts, read 255,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Obama is a very divisive leader imo. Hopefully things will recover after 4 years of trump in office.
And just curious what kind of leader was George W. Bush?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 09:33 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Obviously Hillary still carried NYC in a landslide, but NYC did not go as blue as I was expecting it to. Interesting.
The city is overwhelmingly blue, but pockets of Republican strongholds exist. Generally Italian-American or Orthodox Jew neighborhoods.

Old 11-22-2016, 10:32 PM

539 posts, read 523,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Obama is a very divisive leader imo. Hopefully things will recover after 4 years of trump in office.
Lol he'll probably leave with 3x Bushs approval raiting when he left. Right now it is more than double. Whenever trump does or says anything ridiculous, ask yourself..."what would the public say if Obama did that". Barack is divesive because he is a black liberal

Old 11-22-2016, 10:38 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers1523 View Post
Lol he'll probably leave with 3x Bushs approval raiting when he left. Right now it is more than double. Whenever trump does or says anything ridiculous, ask yourself..."what would the public say if Obama did that". Barack is divesive because he is a black liberal
I wonder why there wasn't outrage (from the right) over Trump making that comment about John McCain, or the p**** grabbing thing.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:01 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrang View Post
Looking at the district maps for the Bronx was very revealing and perhaps a microcosm for the election as a whole. Trump only got 9.7 percent of the vote but he did get the majority of the vote in Woodlawn, Country Club, Pelham Parkway and Throggs Neck. What is the common denominator for these areas? Working class white majorities? Seems obvious to me. Link to the map is below:

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/num...al-primary-nyc

In fact if you look at the entire map of the city, the same holds true for the entire city! Look at Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island!. White working class neighborhoods went for Trump. Only Manhattan had no Trump majority districts. I would say that's because there are no white working class neighborhoods left there. Even Inwood isn't majority Irish anymore.

We are definitely a divided city, country and state. I fear for what will happen the first time this new administration does something really stupid and it will. You can count on it. Our only hope is that the strong Democratic minority in the Senate can keep them in check.
Looks to me like Throgs Neck is the only area where Trump got a majority . None of the Pelham Parkway precincts are red and only 1 Morris Park precinct ( Indian Village) and 1 Woodlawn precinct are red.

Old 11-23-2016, 11:13 AM

2,694 posts, read 3,188,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
The city is overwhelmingly blue, but pockets of Republican strongholds exist. Generally Italian-American or Orthodox Jew neighborhoods.
True. I just clicked the link again and noticed the 79% figure. Last time I only noticed at how many red spots there were on the map and didn't pay as much attention to the overall statistic.

It's interesting that Hillary underperformed Obama in NYC though. The link said Obama carried NYC with 81% of the vote last time. I wonder if this had something to do with Trump being from NYC.

Similarly Hillary outperformed Obama in her native Chicago, although DNA Info doesn't say by how much.
https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/numb...imary-illinois

Old 11-23-2016, 12:08 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,914,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
True. I just clicked the link again and noticed the 79% figure. Last time I only noticed at how many red spots there were on the map and didn't pay as much attention to the overall statistic.

It's interesting that Hillary underperformed Obama in NYC though. The link said Obama carried NYC with 81% of the vote last time. I wonder if this had something to do with Trump being from NYC.

Similarly Hillary outperformed Obama in her native Chicago, although DNA Info doesn't say by how much.
https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/numb...imary-illinois
Hillary was simply a terrible and boring candidate, who had to resort to having Katy Perry and Jay Z play shows for her to try and excite voters. She had no energy and failed to bring voters out.

Old 11-23-2016, 12:13 PM

738 posts, read 585,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Hillary was simply a terrible and boring candidate, who had to resort to having Katy Perry and Jay Z play shows for her to try and excite voters. She had no energy and failed to bring voters out.
You got that right. No one could get excited over her.

Old 11-23-2016, 12:29 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,720,441 times
As usual, Italians, Russians and Orthodox Jews voted GOP.

Old 11-23-2016, 01:33 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Forget Trump for a min, if we look at the country's election results. The democrats lost seats almost everywhere other than coastal states. They even lost power in Michigan and Blue wall states like Ohio and PA.

Only Coastal states vote democrat because of immigrants and liberals. This election marks the end of liberalism in government. They've lost every branch of power under Obama and the failed leadership in Congress.

Keep voting for democrats won't have any voice against the rest of the union. This is why we will see more and more politicians from other states get into higher position at the Fed and NYC & other democrat strongholds will lose even more voice and power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City