Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 09:12 AM

230 posts, read 173,308 times

Advertisements

Here's what I would look for - first a no fee place. This is the most ridiculous charge ever made up. Any and all fees should be included in the rent. That's why it's called rent. Second - Safety. If the building doesn't have some type of security system you are just setting yourself up to be a victim. Working security cameras are a MUST. Third - reliable maintenance. There is nothing more annoying to pay for something that doesn't work and have to wait to have it repaired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2016, 11:14 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Im really old skool, but any apartment I live in, I absolutely must have to be able to have a clothesline.
I just have too....
cant live anywhere without one.

sick, isnt it?, but true.

thank god i do have portable washer and a pulley clothesline, right from my kitchen window on the 4th floor connected to a giant iron ladder in the courtyard, as do all the other tenants!!! yes !!!!

couldnt care less about a dishwasher.

Old 11-23-2016, 12:12 PM

738 posts, read 585,574 times
Laundry in the building.

Old 11-23-2016, 08:51 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,773 times
Garage.
This is key.
I hate hearing that a building has a "bike room".
I can keep my bike in my apartment.
I need a place to park my car.

Old 11-24-2016, 06:50 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,685 times
Not sure if this is rental or condo but I live in a new building and when I was condo shopping I looked exclusively at new buildings. There are common elements that attract "young professionals" and that you will find in new buildings:

Bike room/bike storage- not a big issue for me but the building designer didn't account for how many bikes people would have and there isn't enough room on the bike rack. The building has had meetings about what to do with the "bike storage situation". Seriously. It's a huge issue...

Washer/dryer inside the unit- standard in nearly all new construction

Dishwasher - again, standard in new construction and I could never live in a place without one from now on

Package room- not as standard but highly bennifical. We have a virtual doorman system where packages and deliveries can be securely buzzed in and placed in a secure closet

Cold storage (for fresh direct and services like blue Apron)- not as standard but I would think if there is no grocery store near your development it would be attractive. To note, there was no grocery store near my building at the time of construction but one has since been built. I suspect the reason we have such a large cold storage space was because there initially was no near by grocery store.

Virtual doorman- not as common but is necessary if you have a package room and cold storage room

Furnished roof deck- this is almost standard in new buildings and honestly one of the nicest features of my condo building. Not only can you go up there to relax but during the summer weekends it's often reserved for parties.

Central AC/heat- I have an HVAC unit but am on the fence if this is a better set up than having an electric in-wall AC/heat unit. The HVAC is great for programming temps but some people in the building have been having issues with their systems.

My building also has the following which are popular but not as important to me:

Lounge with TV/couches- used for parties
Theatre/movie room- again good for parties
Parking lot (even though I have a car, there is a lot of street parking)
Storage rooms

If you haven't already, I'd suggest you check out open houses for new (condos) and pay attention to what the attendees focus or comment on as they walk throughout the building.

Old 11-24-2016, 08:46 AM

402 posts, read 518,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Not sure if this is rental or condo but I live in a new building and when I was condo shopping I looked exclusively at new buildings. There are common elements that attract "young professionals" and that you will find in new buildings:

Bike room/bike storage- not a big issue for me but the building designer didn't account for how many bikes people would have and there isn't enough room on the bike rack. The building has had meetings about what to do with the "bike storage situation". Seriously. It's a huge issue...

Washer/dryer inside the unit- standard in nearly all new construction

Dishwasher - again, standard in new construction and I could never live in a place without one from now on

Package room- not as standard but highly bennifical. We have a virtual doorman system where packages and deliveries can be securely buzzed in and placed in a secure closet

Cold storage (for fresh direct and services like blue Apron)- not as standard but I would think if there is no grocery store near your development it would be attractive. To note, there was no grocery store near my building at the time of construction but one has since been built. I suspect the reason we have such a large cold storage space was because there initially was no near by grocery store.

Virtual doorman- not as common but is necessary if you have a package room and cold storage room

Furnished roof deck- this is almost standard in new buildings and honestly one of the nicest features of my condo building. Not only can you go up there to relax but during the summer weekends it's often reserved for parties.

Central AC/heat- I have an HVAC unit but am on the fence if this is a better set up than having an electric in-wall AC/heat unit. The HVAC is great for programming temps but some people in the building have been having issues with their systems.

My building also has the following which are popular but not as important to me:

Lounge with TV/couches- used for parties
Theatre/movie room- again good for parties
Parking lot (even though I have a car, there is a lot of street parking)
Storage rooms

If you haven't already, I'd suggest you check out open houses for new (condos) and pay attention to what the attendees focus or comment on as they walk throughout the building.

Thx for the in depth reply.... In regards to the rooftop, are grills provided for guests use? This is something that has been a hot topic for us and we obviously want to provide what other buildings are providing. Btw- this is for a small rental.... Only 16 units.

Old 11-24-2016, 09:04 AM

1,510 posts, read 1,006,734 times
Bike room, garage and onsite gym.

Old 11-24-2016, 03:33 PM

444 posts, read 387,612 times
Dishwasher
Laundry in the unit
Gym is nice but not a must have
Pet friendly (charge a fee, demand to meet my cat...whatever but give me the option)
Rooftop deck a nice but not a must have.
Virtual Doorman

Old 11-25-2016, 12:52 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,443,209 times
Laundry in the place
Real doorman
Super on site
Super fast free wifi
Cable tv in the price
Cold storage place
Lockable storage area for packages --yes I know there is a doorman but also one of my pet peeve about the city when I found out the doorman was beeping a---e about packages because one day he made off hand comment to me about it not beeping his job to babysit things with us the building tenets needing put out a little extra cash every week for him to care of the packages
Have all of one type services for the place where I just pay one monthly bill instead oh having to run around and pay electricity and cable
Be able pay one a year rent

So of the services talk about in other states you can set up you
Rent
Electric
Cable- internet
Water--stewage ---trash pickup--recycling etc
One placed I lived in had everything on one monthly payment to them

Old 11-25-2016, 02:35 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,184 times
LOVE the clothesline comment!!!!

I didn't even think about that. I hang all my clothes to dry. Not on a clothesline (i wish!!!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City