Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 09:19 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,262,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
And I am not really following your grammar here...

Well after reading it again, a couple of things. She didn't get attacked, she got yelled at according to this account. I've gotten worse yelled at me from road rage bullsh!t over the course of my life, with my race clearly spelled out in said verbal lashing. Big deal. Her son did indeed get shoved though, according to the article. So let's say this is true, that her son got shoved. Is this anything new? There have been biased attacks going on for as long as this city has existed. There have always been articles like this. Plenty over the course of the past 8 years. This is nothing new. My point in making the thread was, again, to see if any of this massive uptick in biased attacks towards minorities have been captured on any of the 8 million smartphone cameras that are regularly whipped out on a consistent basis. I don't know how many times I need to clarify that. Because all I have seen is footage of some white guy being beaten down.
Exactly these are just more incidents of the same being reported, people getting harassed or getting called racial slurs, that was the up tick most of the media has been talking about. I think evidence that you are looking for (racially motivated violence), don't think that's happening as much and doubt much in NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 09:25 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,215,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruready4Bklyn View Post
Exactly these are just more incidents of the same being reported, people getting harassed or getting called racial slurs, that was the up tick most of the media has been talking about. I think evidence that you are looking for (racially motivated violence), don't think that's happening as much and doubt much in NY.

But I am not sure you understand the meaning of "uptick" then.

And I assume will never accept the fact that many of these false allegations around the country have been shown to be just that...

Old 12-05-2016, 09:39 AM

According to the FBI website there was a 6% uptick on hate crimes from last year, so not sure if you consider that an uptick, maybe it has nothing to do with the president elect, I don't know where that 400% uptick came from either but we will get stats for this year until next year.

https://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/pr...ime-statistics

Also appears only some were proven to be fake not all but I guess your sources do not go out of their way to prove the real ones either...

Last edited by Ruready4Bklyn; 12-05-2016 at 11:03 AM..

Old 12-05-2016, 11:36 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
I'd assume gays and Jews are still the primary recipient of hate crimes in NYC. Not Muslims and Mexicans. But the later is what still seems to be reported. Not so much Mexicans, but the media has their telescopes out to uncover any possible Muslim related attack.

Old 12-05-2016, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I'd assume gays and Jews are still the primary recipient of hate crimes in NYC. Not Muslims and Mexicans. But the later is what still seems to be reported. Not so much Mexicans, but the media has their telescopes out to uncover any possible Muslim related attack.
Yes they usually cover what ever trend they want to sell at the time.

Old 12-05-2016, 01:32 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,420,713 times
'Hero' Muslim cop, her son harassed by bigot in Brooklyn - NY Daily News

Old 12-05-2016, 04:27 PM

782 posts, read 527,280 times
I was wondering where the 400% number came from and I just read that it was the 2 week period following election day compared to the same period last year:

Bias Incidents Have Spiked 400 Percent Since Election Day: NYPD | NBC New York

Regarding the OP, I think asking for video evidence is kind of pointless. There is no video for most crimes anyway so no one is going to be able to prove or disprove anything. One thing worth mentioning is that victims are probably more likely to report these crimes now than before given recent political events. So in that sense, I think the y/y percentage increase is probably inflated (that is, the percentage increase in crimes reported is greater than the percentage increase in crimes committed). But I really see no reason to question that these hate incidents have indeed been on the rise in recent weeks/months.

Here are a couple of other local reports along with some more stats:

Muslim MTA Worker Called 'Terrorist,' Pushed Down Stairs at Grand Central Terminal: Officials | NBC New York
Muslim Woman Harassed on Subway by 3 Men Who Call Her 'Terrorist,' Chant Trump's Name: NYPD | NBC New York

Quote:
In New York City, hate crime has spiked 115 percent since Election Day, with 43 cases reported compared with 20 cases in the same period in 2015, according to NYPD Chief of Detectives Robert Boyce. Bias against Muslims has doubled, with four cases reported since Election Day compared with two reported in the same time period last year.

Overall, hate crimes are up 35 percent year over year, with a 45 percent uptick in arrests, Boyce said.

Old 12-05-2016, 07:41 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,258,595 times
The media will now report every magic marker swastika that is found anywhere. Doesn't matter if it is some loser who would have done it if Hillary were elected. Doesn't matter if it's a Social Justice Warrior who is trying to prove that hate crimes are up.

The classic example is the sloppy swastika with Trump's name sprayed in the Brooklyn Park. No self-respecting Neo-Nazi would have scrawled such a mess.

And it got the desired reaction. Big march in Brooklyn Heights led by every self-serving politician looking to get publicity.

Old 12-05-2016, 07:50 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,215,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
The media will now report every magic marker swastika that is found anywhere. Doesn't matter if it is some loser who would have done it if Hillary were elected. Doesn't matter if it's a Social Justice Warrior who is trying to prove that hate crimes are up.

The classic example is the sloppy swastika with Trump's name sprayed in the Brooklyn Park. No self-respecting Neo-Nazi would have scrawled such a mess.

And it got the desired reaction. Big march in Brooklyn Heights led by every self-serving politician looking to get publicity.
Yup, good post. I meant to bring up that sloppy, backwards swastika. So absolutely transparent..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City