Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 06:42 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times

Advertisements

Have said this before, and it is worth repeating; in the coming ten, twenty or so years unless things change drastically NYC like many other places is going to have a huge problem.

New York City like many other HCOL areas has a good number of middle aged to those approaching or just entering senior citizen demographic that are basically already living paycheck to paycheck. Many simply borrow from Peter to pay Paul or otherwise move things around each month in order to keep a roof over their heads. They have nil to no savings and often same when it comes to pension. So basically the only thing they will have after age 65 is Social Security. This means they must continue to work and or find some other means of income.

What happens to people who after age 65 or whatever cannot either physically or for a host of reasons continue to work? SCRIE is only a blessing in that if freezes rent, but if you were paying 1/3 or more of your monthly income before in rent, that isn't going to give much more wiggle room.

No, unless something is done to provide "low" income housing for seniors and or those in the upper middle age group you are going to start seeing many, many more homeless.

As things stand now you have people living in RS or RC apartments roaming streets at night collecting recyclables (bottles, metal, etc..) for cash, and or digging through supermarket/shop garbage bags for food.

Though often lumped together, not all Baby Boomers are swimming in money. Many of the tail end *boomers* (those born in late 1950's through early 1960's) have suffered through several bad economies during their adult lives. A good number have been downsized, laid off, or otherwise had to make various detours during their active employment years. Often all of this caused them to take hits financially.

People act is if RC or RS apartments are the next best thing to white bread. Well they are, long as you can keep up the rent payments. Start to fall behind and cannot present a way going forward to remain current and you are looking at being evicted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 06:58 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,899 times
Some of us are HALF a paycheck away!

quote:
So basically the only thing they will have after age 65 is Social Security. This means they must continue to work and or find some other means of income.

Or just kill themselves and it seems like younger people these days think that people over 65 SHOULD do that (and as a very jaded terrible Gen X'er, you know them right? that forgotten generation between the two biggest blow-hard narcissistic generations EVER?!) ugh

Me personally I have no desire to live over 70 years of age, I have NO ONE personally who will help me and I don't want to be a scrub that relies on support from tax payers. Just let those who want to die, well... die?! Stop trying to pretend 90 is the new 60. It's not... but if you wish it hard enough, then well the tax burden IS ON YOU!

Old 12-19-2016, 07:29 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,358,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
actually no , i give myself the proper amount of credit for succeeding . i wouldn't say it is to much . i met the goals i set . i started with nothing and spent a lifetime making every attempt i could at meeting my goals . hey don't read my posts if it bothers you . simple answer .

if success of others bothers you then just stick to the posts about misery and failure if it makes you feel better .

if i could do it so can others who take control of their lives and make things happen . there is nothing special about me that others can't do . .

the problem is that most folks drift like a cork in water to where ever life pulls them and do nothing to alter that course and take control . they drift from one job to another making lateral moves or staying in some form of their early jobs or they fear taking the actions or risks needed to really pull a head .

there is no question in my mind that those who really want to succeed will find a way - the rest just find the excuses .

even the septic guy we used in pa with an 8th grade education found a way to succeed by doing things others can't or won't . he owns a very very successful septic company today running 9 trucks ..

You make the same point in every third post.
I know successful people too and some brag like you and some are quite and go about their lives. I respect the quite ones because usually they're the one's least full of **** (we're all full of **** to some extent, right ). That is all.

Your outlook isn't realistic and is overly simplistic. I'm 30 and I would consider myself a success for my age but I also have a long way to go and things change in life. Am I qualified to give advice now?

Your "advice" is pretty useless and it serves the main purpose of patting yourself on the back. Let's cut the bull****. My parents are winners too and they were immigrants who came from nothing. My parents came here in their 20's not knowing how to speak a word of English with 2 children under 4.

Never once have I heard them give "advice" regarding success or pat themselves on the back and talk down to others. I've never even heard them talk of their "success" to be honest.

Don't play yourself, Mathjak. Some people see through the bull****.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

With that said it's become politically popular to give essays or speeches on inequality/why people can't seem to get ahead. And while it's true that we'll never get a society where everyone has an equal shot at everything, that doesn't excuse someone not doing the best they can do with what they've got.
You know what's also become popular? Being a life coach/motivational speaker/ giving life advice on the internet.

Every Tom, Dick, and Harry with 2 cents to rub together gives "advice" on how to succeed in life because talking down to the less fortunate in America makes them feel superior (and can make you some $ in the process). Truth be told, with growing inequality, there's plenty of less fortunate to talk down to.

Go on YouTube/Instagram/Snapchat and every fifth person wants to give advice for "success".

How about just being humble and grateful for what one has and not being a douche. Have we lost that?

Last edited by wawaweewa; 12-19-2016 at 07:39 PM..

Old 12-20-2016, 12:42 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post

You know what's also become popular? Being a life coach/motivational speaker/ giving life advice on the internet.

Every Tom, Dick, and Harry with 2 cents to rub together gives "advice" on how to succeed in life because talking down to the less fortunate in America makes them feel superior (and can make you some $ in the process). Truth be told, with growing inequality, there's plenty of less fortunate to talk down to.

Go on YouTube/Instagram/Snapchat and every fifth person wants to give advice for "success".

How about just being humble and grateful for what one has and not being a douche. Have we lost that?
I do see your point on that. I do think we should be grateful for what they have.

I think maybe Mathjak has a lack of empathy.

There is no society in the world where people can all be equally successful. However just because someone isn't successful, or has poor judgement, etc does not make them a lesser person. He talks about the guys he knew growing up back in the housing projects who are still working there. Perhaps they are happy with that lifestyle.

I do think he is a bit judgmental. He has a daughter who is a pre school teacher, yet his disparages her work as being poorly paid. Perhaps she likes it. Someone has to do low paying jobs. We can't all be CEOs. Not everyone defines success has being rich or a high end professional either.

Old 12-20-2016, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Have said this before, and it is worth repeating; in the coming ten, twenty or so years unless things change drastically NYC like many other places is going to have a huge problem.

New York City like many other HCOL areas has a good number of middle aged to those approaching or just entering senior citizen demographic that are basically already living paycheck to paycheck. Many simply borrow from Peter to pay Paul or otherwise move things around each month in order to keep a roof over their heads. They have nil to no savings and often same when it comes to pension. So basically the only thing they will have after age 65 is Social Security. This means they must continue to work and or find some other means of income.

What happens to people who after age 65 or whatever cannot either physically or for a host of reasons continue to work? SCRIE is only a blessing in that if freezes rent, but if you were paying 1/3 or more of your monthly income before in rent, that isn't going to give much more wiggle room.

No, unless something is done to provide "low" income housing for seniors and or those in the upper middle age group you are going to start seeing many, many more homeless.

As things stand now you have people living in RS or RC apartments roaming streets at night collecting recyclables (bottles, metal, etc..) for cash, and or digging through supermarket/shop garbage bags for food.

Though often lumped together, not all Baby Boomers are swimming in money. Many of the tail end *boomers* (those born in late 1950's through early 1960's) have suffered through several bad economies during their adult lives. A good number have been downsized, laid off, or otherwise had to make various detours during their active employment years. Often all of this caused them to take hits financially.

People act is if RC or RS apartments are the next best thing to white bread. Well they are, long as you can keep up the rent payments. Start to fall behind and cannot present a way going forward to remain current and you are looking at being evicted.
There are a number of people working in cash jobs like a number of sleazy bars (some still don't take credit cards and more or less pay their employees off the books). There are people who do this until old age and won't even be able to collect social security or medicare. At the most they will be able to get is SSI and medicaid. Their situation is even worse than those renters who only get social security in old age.

Old 12-20-2016, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Some of us are HALF a paycheck away!

quote:
So basically the only thing they will have after age 65 is Social Security. This means they must continue to work and or find some other means of income.

Or just kill themselves and it seems like younger people these days think that people over 65 SHOULD do that (and as a very jaded terrible Gen X'er, you know them right? that forgotten generation between the two biggest blow-hard narcissistic generations EVER?!) ugh

Me personally I have no desire to live over 70 years of age, I have NO ONE personally who will help me and I don't want to be a scrub that relies on support from tax payers. Just let those who want to die, well... die?! Stop trying to pretend 90 is the new 60. It's not... but if you wish it hard enough, then well the tax burden IS ON YOU!
Are you really going to let the society get you so beat down that you want to basically lie down and let them trample you into the ground? Stand up for yourself.

And you are a taxpayer. If you need taxpayer assistance in old age, you will have earned it as they took payroll taxes out of your paycheck and those funds do go to support people.

Old 12-20-2016, 02:13 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I do see your point on that. I do think we should be grateful for what they have.

I think maybe Mathjak has a lack of empathy.

There is no society in the world where people can all be equally successful. However just because someone isn't successful, or has poor judgement, etc does not make them a lesser person. He talks about the guys he knew growing up back in the housing projects who are still working there. Perhaps they are happy with that lifestyle.

I do think he is a bit judgmental. He has a daughter who is a pre school teacher, yet his disparages her work as being poorly paid. Perhaps she likes it. Someone has to do low paying jobs. We can't all be CEOs. Not everyone defines success has being rich or a high end professional either.
she is unhappy with the pay not me . she is hoping to be called by the board of ed eventually .

money does not buy happiness , but it sure buys choices in life . the more choices you eventually create for yourself the better . life can totally suck when you end up in situations where you have no choice and those choices mean a lot to you
and for the record , nooooo the guys i know from the projects are pretty miserable and stressed because of their situation they let themselves get in and they have no choices in life where they wish they had some . .

Old 12-20-2016, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

People who know they are going to have social security checks in retirement and nothing else do have some options. Most likely they are going to have to leave NYC unless they can move in with a family member here. There are cheaper parts of the US, and if one is willing to go overseas in many countries a monthly social security check goes a long way. At least half of New Yorkers were born elsewhere, so if one kept in touch with people back home it makes a transition to elsewhere easier. If these people have children or other family members, I'm sure someone would take them in if they gave them a portion of the money they are getting in social security for rent.

Alternatively an older person could be able to keep their apartment if they rent it out to other people or Airbnb space in it out.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
she is unhappy with the pay not me . she is hoping to be called by the board of ed eventually .

money does not buy happiness , but it sure buys choices in life . the more choices you eventually create for yourself the better . life can totally suck when you end up in situations where you have no choice and those choices mean a lot to you
and for the record , nooooo the guys i know from the projects are pretty miserable and stressed because of their situation they let themselves get in and they have no choices in life where they wish they had some . .
Your daughter does not represent all pre school teachers. Just because she whines about it doesn't mean that there aren't people who are happy with being pre school teachers.

As for the guys you know who are working in the projects, just because they feel that way doesn't mean all older men who are low income feel that way.

The job your daughter does, as well as the jobs done by those men you disparage in the housing projects all have to be done by someone.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:50 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
well you are answering your own statement . there will always be those who are on the lower end of things to do these jobs . whether it is because they like it , whether they hate it or whether they just can't get ahead themselves .

for whatever reason they are where they are , just as those who really want to do better are likely to find a way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City