Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 06:53 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times

Advertisements

According to new study, do with the information what you will.

More Than Half Of New Yorkers Are One Paycheck Away From Homelessness, Says Study: Gothamist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2016, 06:57 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
Not if they live in a rent stabilized apartment. They can go to court and stall for like a year. I know because I have had that done to me.

Often lawyer fees are cheaper than monthly rent. So you just pay the lawyer to keep dragging out that court decision.

Old 11-26-2016, 07:02 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,878 times
I think NYC is very hard to judge in this regard for a number of reasons.

1. Many immigrants will tell you that they're paycheck to paycheck even if they're millionaires. That's just immigrant culture. There are a lot of immigrants in NYC.

2. There is a huge underground economy and many will not divulge their off-the-books earnings.

3. Many are paycheck to paycheck because they spend too much not a as a result of earning too little.

4. As a result of the generous welfare state in NYC, many have an incentive to underreport/hide income.

5. A substantial percentage of NYC'ers only source of income is via government transfers (welfare, SSI, etc). Although they may be paycheck to paycheck in the technical sense, when was the last time the SSA missed a payment?

Old 11-26-2016, 08:46 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post

1. Many immigrants will tell you that they're paycheck to paycheck even if they're millionaires. That's just immigrant culture. There are a lot of immigrants in NYC.
That is interesting.
Why does immigrant culture encourage saying that you're living paycheck to paycheck even if you're not?

Old 11-26-2016, 09:03 PM

546 posts, read 764,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post

2. There is a huge underground economy and many will not divulge their off-the-books earnings.

3. Many are paycheck to paycheck because they spend too much not a as a result of earning too little.
huh? immigrants are more successful than American borns and huge money savers.
Asian immigrants pick up cans from garbage even though you never see them homeless.

back to the topic.. i believe NYCers aren't prepared to live in a competitive environment, people who are on welfare live on it generations and are not motivated to better their life.. yet you need at least a specialized skill/degree/experience/ combination to maintain head above water. Thats why a lot of transplants move here with high skilled degrees and snab NYers jobs

Old 11-26-2016, 09:37 PM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,085,674 times
I don't know how you can afford to live in NYC at all.

Old 11-26-2016, 10:02 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
According to new study, do with the information what you will.

More Than Half Of New Yorkers Are One Paycheck Away From Homelessness, Says Study: Gothamist

This is very true. Two of my colleagues don't have savings accounts. All their finances is on checking account. One small step and they are finished. Also they both are white and race has nothing to do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycnyc11209 View Post
huh? immigrants are more successful than American borns and huge money savers.
Asian immigrants pick up cans from garbage even though you never see them homeless.

back to the topic.. i believe NYCers aren't prepared to live in a competitive environment, people who are on welfare live on it generations and are not motivated to better their life.. yet you need at least a specialized skill/degree/experience/ combination to maintain head above water. Thats why a lot of transplants move here with high skilled degrees and snab NYers jobs
Immigrants have no shame. They are willing to make a buck off the side, apply for welfare and snap, and still live comfortable. Asians are not the only ones who do such. Russian Jews do it in Brooklyn as well as some Hispanic and even Africans too. Like I said, one mans garbage is another mans treasure.

The end paragraph is true. I have been saying this as well as others such as NYwriterdude. One thing is this, that NYC no longer creates talent locally. The city used to create plenty of local talent, but that talent did not do much for the city when it went economically went under in the 70s. THe city learned its lesson and instead it attracts talent instead of creating talent. I do agree that native New Yorkers are not well heeled enough for certain jobs that are competitive. This past year I was in a professional work group. A group of 7. I was the only native New Yorker. One was an H1b visa Indian, another was from Missouri Indian, 2 were from the Midwest, and the other was from Long Island who owned his truck business. These folks made so much money here, double or triple from what I make. These folks have no intentions on moving back to where they are from. Cities such as DC, SF and NYC. These such cities are elite cities, and employers are competitive and want to keep up with the growing demands of the market. Also employers pluck students out of top schools to work in ciites like DC, NYC and SF. If not top schools, one must be highly skilled, and plenty of New Yorkers are not skilled compared to Transplants.

If I was mayor, and if I was running on a populist platform. I would pass a law, in conjunction with city council. To reduce income inequality in NYC. Fortune 500 business, firms, insurance companies, real estate and such will have to go to public colleges and less stellar named college for candidates to hire in and around the 5 boroughs. These companies also needs to hire a certain percentage of local residents. If such demands are met, companies, firms and corporations will receive a tax abatement from the city. If the such business don't want to participate? I believe in the free market, and I believe in American Judeo/Anglo Saxon capitalism that NYC is founded on. I will let such firms, companies and corporations the right to move operations out of NYC so that they can be closer to talent pools that can drive their business. Places like the Midwest and upstate need jobs especially since factories in reality are never coming back!

80 percent of NYC transplant population have a college degree or higher, more than average than the American average. ON the flip side, plenty of native whites, native blacks and native Hispanics can not compete against Transplants, thus resulting many to leave the area all together.

https://nextcity.org/daily/entry/rep...underpaid-jobs

Old 11-27-2016, 02:43 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,935 times
Thank god I was smart and have kept a 6 month emergency fund I guess?

Old 11-27-2016, 05:08 AM

186 posts, read 220,263 times
I know this from first hand experience. Working at jobs where once I pay rent etc I would literally have like 100 or 200 bucks etc (which then I had to deduct transport from that) and literally working paycheck to paycheck and realizing that **** should something happen or should I get laid off I am f*&ked.
Sickening feeling.
NY has millions of people but the jobs available does not keep up with population so there are 6 people for every 1 position (guesstimation)

Old 11-27-2016, 06:36 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,225,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
If I was mayor, and if I was running on a populist platform. I would pass a law, in conjunction with city council. To reduce income inequality in NYC. Fortune 500 business, firms, insurance companies, real estate and such will have to go to public colleges and less stellar named college for candidates to hire in and around the 5 boroughs. These companies also needs to hire a certain percentage of local residents. If such demands are met, companies, firms and corporations will receive a tax abatement from the city. If the such business don't want to participate? I believe in the free market, and I believe in American Judeo/Anglo Saxon capitalism that NYC is founded on. I will let such firms, companies and corporations the right to move operations out of NYC so that they can be closer to talent pools that can drive their business. Places like the Midwest and upstate need jobs especially since factories in reality are never coming back.
Besides being a terrible idea, your statements here contradicts each other. First you say you want to create a law to demand companies to hire some people locally (not free market) but then you say you support a free market for companies to leave.

You obviously have not thought this through. Seems you want "natives" to be hired and employed but by making NYC unfriendly to business, they will flee and take their jobs with them, leaving natives with even less job opportunities. It makes absolutely no sense. If that is populist, I want no part of it.

If you want to fix the problem of some natives not being prepared for the NYC workforce, you have to figure out the root cause. Slapping on more regulations in an already over regulated, highly bureaucratic city will only add to the many problems this city faces.

The root cause is the education system. Why is it not preparing the natives for the jobs in this city? Fix this and you don't need to drive companies and jobs out with more crazy laws.

Another thing you are mistaken is thinking somehow the midwest is some brain factory. It isn't. Plenty of blue collar, unhighly educated people there. The best and brightest come from schools on the coast (e.g. Ivy league, Stanford), not Iowa.

Last edited by antinimby; 11-27-2016 at 06:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City