Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 04:50 PM

21 posts, read 18,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
No. Rego Park has the R and M, and Briarwood the E and F. So the Queens Blvd line, which in my opinion are better neighborhoods than those on the 7 line. Would still be easily under an hour commute, with better schools and parks.
Awesome! Thank you so much!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
An ideal area, with good school, check north of the 74/ roosevelt subway station. Jackson heights or east elmhurst. Woodside and sunnyside are good areas as well.

This area, with those 4 neighborhood, leaves a person central to everything, and still find a 3 bedroom for $2200 a month.

I definitely have JH and Sunnyside on the list!! Thank you so much!! I still have to get used to this whole 2/1 apartment or 3/2 apartments..lol..gonna miss my 2/2 apartments here in Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 06:04 PM

172 posts, read 185,490 times
Consider Whitestone Queens. It is located in Northeastern Queens. A lovely area.

Old 12-06-2016, 06:05 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,148,782 times
One thing you will notice about these areas, there are different ethnicities in these locations,

Old 12-06-2016, 06:41 PM

539 posts, read 523,196 times
Astoria would be great. Used to live there and there were always kids running around, playing. Not sure about schools, but you can get a solid place for your price range.

Old 12-06-2016, 06:42 PM

539 posts, read 523,196 times
Forrest Hills and Kew Gardens seem nice as well and would be a good fit, too

Old 12-06-2016, 06:57 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunedos View Post
Are Rego Park and Briarwood near the 7? Lol. I know I am obsessed with the 7, but I just want to make my commute easy and under an hour.

Okay. Thanks for the info on Flushing!
Is your workplace right next to a 7 train stop and not near any other trains? I hope you do realize that there are other trains that service Long Island City. For example, the E,M, G and 7 all stop at Court Square. Also the N, W and 7 all stop at Queensboro Plaza and the E, M and R all stop at Queens Plaza.

Can you post the intersection, or at least the general area, where your workplace is?

If you could get off in LIC at Court Square, then a commute from an E train stop (like Forest Hills) could make quite a bit of sense.

Old 12-06-2016, 07:38 PM

252 posts, read 607,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunedos View Post
Job literally starts on Monday. Trying to find a way to break lease and do a bunch of other stuff, but the opportunity arose so I need to make it happen. I have been questioning if I can survive on a six figure salary(100-120 range) in NYC, but everyone says that I can, so I guess I'll try it. Job is in Long Island City. Not sure where I will live though right now. Staying in Airbnb for a couple weeks until I can secure place. Any ideas?

I am very familiar with the Bronx and Washington Heights, but I don't know anything about Queens honestly. I have family in the Bronx and WH, but they keep a certain lifestyle that I have to try to stay away from so I haven't even informed them that I'll be local now...hence my coming to Internet for questions.

Insight on best places to live in Queens would be helpful...best elementary schools...and if my salary will be ok to survive on considering I am very comfortable on less in Atlanta.

With six fighres you can find something nice in astoria. Its right next to long island city.

Old 12-06-2016, 07:44 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,994,339 times
Default My advice to you is to pay attention to me

Ignore everyone else in this thread. Folks from Atlanta will fit in perfectly in Southeast Queens. It is the most Americanized portion of NYC. Springfield Gardens, Queens Village, Hollis, Laurelton, Rochdale, Saint Albans and Cambria Heights (it is flat) are the places for you.

Old 12-06-2016, 11:13 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Ignore everyone else in this thread. Folks from Atlanta will fit in perfectly in Southeast Queens. It is the most Americanized portion of NYC. Springfield Gardens, Queens Village, Hollis, Laurelton, Rochdale, Saint Albans and Cambria Heights (it is flat) are the places for you.
For some reason I imagine the residential neighborhoods in Atlanta to look vaguely like a less dense version of Southeast Queens

Also I don't think that's a very good suggestion given the location of her job and the fact that the neighborhoods along Queens Blvd are way more interesting.

Old 12-07-2016, 11:31 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Looking for Atlanta in Queens...how novel an idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City