Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 09:25 AM

245 posts, read 197,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
I have a question for you. Did you ever sign up with someone who said you can save money by asking you for coned account number? If you did, that is most likely where that extra money is coming from.
no they knock on my door all the time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 09:41 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,539,204 times
EFF Con ED.

When I was selling my condo in DUMBO last year, it sat vacant for about 6 months before it closed.
The Con ED bill would be like $25 for a 2 months (as expected for an empty apt), then $120, then back $25, and then $120.

When I inquired into it, they said it was because they used "estimated meter read" for some months instead of actually reading the effing meter.

I demanded a refund for the "Estimated reading" months, and they said they would.
Its been a year later and I have received no refund.

F U CON Ed.

Old 12-09-2016, 09:37 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,596,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky91 View Post
No this is my first con edison bill. Well apartment in my name.
If it's your first bill check and see if they are requiring a deposit.

Old 12-10-2016, 04:54 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,574,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky91 View Post
no they knock on my door all the time

Call up Coned just to make sure no one had got a hold of your account number and change your account without your knowledge. At least knowing this is not taking place on your account would eliminate this as a possible problem.

Old 12-10-2016, 06:21 AM

31,906 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
Call up Coned just to make sure no one had got a hold of your account number and change your account without your knowledge. At least knowing this is not taking place on your account would eliminate this as a possible problem.

Only thing someone could possibly do with an ill gotten ConEd account number is possibly put in a request to have service disconnected.

Billing is generated either via actual reading of meter or an estimate. With the first someone takes a physical reading of meter and records findings *under* the account number. The second is (now) a computer generated average based upon historical account usage. Neither way allows for someone to tie their bill or whatever onto yours.

Only way someone can came an ConEd account for usage is to steal service by either tapping into the meter/box and or running a cord from somewhere inside your home/apartment to theirs.

Another way would be to somehow tap/splice into the line after it leaves meter. That is very dangerous unless power is turned off.

Being as all this may as that recent explosion in East Village and subsequent findings/events afterwards, it is not uncommon for people to tap into another's gas or electric line.

Old 12-10-2016, 09:11 AM

106,653 posts, read 108,790,719 times
we use insulated piercing taps to access power lines after the meter with some of our energy mgmt systems we sold .

it can be done live with no issues .

you connect everything you want to hook up and when all is connected you pierce the insulation on the feeder lines as the last step . you turn a screw which pierces the insulation and livens the connections .

https://www.amazon.com/Easy-Tap-Insu.../dp/B00CUNJ5X8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City