Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2016, 12:03 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
Dangerous? NYC has low crime in relative to population. I feel safer in NYC streets than in downtown New Orleans or Houston. They have cars because they need it, and housing is cheaper. Many NYC residents fled south just because its cheaper, if they could have afford to live in NYC they would have. I know so many people that fled to Atlanta or NC only to come back a year later due to lack of job opportunities.

NYC has the largest carribean neighborhoods. I haven't been to anywhere else in the states that come close to Flatbush avenue in terms of carribean influence. They may be leaving but not drastically.

My point was more black People are living in extreme poverty in southern states that have republican stronghold. Watching first 48 is depressing seeing the lack of education and diversity in southern states and Midwest. And the crimes committed over a few hundred dollars.

And that's the beauty of NYC. People don't do better until they know better, urban environments open people's mind and opportunities. We have issues but still are better off than red states which are notoriously poor.
At the end of the day. Do you live in a bubble?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2016, 12:21 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,915,268 times
Quote:
Dangerous? NYC has low crime in relative to population. I feel safer in NYC streets than in downtown New Orleans or Houston. They have cars because they need it, and housing is cheaper. Many NYC residents fled south just because its cheaper, if they could have afford to live in NYC they would have. I know so many people that fled to Atlanta or NC only to come back a year later due to lack of job opportunities.

NYC has the largest carribean neighborhoods. I haven't been to anywhere else in the states that come close to Flatbush avenue in terms of carribean influence. They may be leaving but not drastically.

My point was more black People are living in extreme poverty in southern states that have republican stronghold. Watching first 48 is depressing seeing the lack of education and diversity in southern states and Midwest. And the crimes committed over a few hundred dollars.

And that's the beauty of NYC. People don't do better until they know better, urban environments open people's mind and opportunities. We have issues but still are better off than red states which are notoriously poor.
Texas and Arizona are red states and they're doing very well compared to the rest of the country.

Actually, if you exclude NYC, NY is doing horrible in general. Upstate is just depressing. There's a reason why Florida beat us in population a few years ago.

Old 12-18-2016, 01:40 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:

The poor Black neighborhoods in NYC do not have low crime relative to population, and overall conditions there are pretty grim. In Southern states you'll find more Black people from all walks of life, and as I noted you'll find a much higher percentage of homeowners (people living in actual houses, not shacks).

Outside NY the Caribbean population is more scattered, and yes they are drastically leaving. All that gentrification is at the expensive of Caribbean and other immigrants in the outer boroughs and parts of Manhattan.

You are in denial.

As for crimes committed, people in the hood in NYC would commit crimes for $5.

Old 12-18-2016, 01:42 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Texas and Arizona are red states and they're doing very well compared to the rest of the country.

Actually, if you exclude NYC, NY is doing horrible in general. Upstate is just depressing. There's a reason why Florida beat us in population a few years ago.
In the early 20th century NY was the most populous state. California surpassed NY. Then Texas. And now Florida.

Georgia and NC are doing well, and Florida is not doing bad.

But back to NYC, it's gotten to the point where unless you are filthy rich you will have no quality of life.

Old 12-18-2016, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post

I totally agree with you. I visited both States. I visited upstate NY, Albany area a couple of weeks ago. Albany is not the place where you want to be. Florida was devastated during the housing crisis though. I'm not sure if the state fully bounced back, however Florida now out paces nys in population size.

Old 12-18-2016, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The poor Black neighborhoods in NYC do not have low crime relative to population, and overall conditions there are pretty grim. In Southern states you'll find more Black people from all walks of life, and as I noted you'll find a much higher percentage of homeowners (people living in actual houses, not shacks).

Outside NY the Caribbean population is more scattered, and yes they are drastically leaving. All that gentrification is at the expensive of Caribbean and other immigrants in the outer boroughs and parts of Manhattan.

You are in denial.

As for crimes committed, people in the hood in NYC would commit crimes for $5.
Cheyenne lives in a bubble. I feel sorry for that poster.

Old 12-18-2016, 06:59 AM

19,042 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
As cultural elitists tend to do... which is why we just rolled over them on November 8th!

Old 12-18-2016, 07:38 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Though I support Trump on immigration reform, I thought he spoke way too broadly on Latinos or Muslims. It was too racist.
LOL "too racist".
Like, "it would have been okay if he was just a little bit racist, but too racist was too much."
Lovely.

Old 12-18-2016, 07:42 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,114 times
Quote:
I love the bubble!

Old 12-18-2016, 08:49 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,915,268 times
Quote:
I totally agree with you. I visited both States. I visited upstate NY, Albany area a couple of weeks ago. Albany is not the place where you want to be. Florida was devastated during the housing crisis though. I'm not sure if the state fully bounced back, however Florida now out paces nys in population size.
I went to Austin last month and fell in love with it. If I could move there I would n a heartbeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City