Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 02:25 PM

15,812 posts, read 14,444,474 times

Advertisements

You messed a few

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Pros: More amenities, more jobs, less crime

Cons: Higher rents/housing costs, higher retail and entertainment costs, more crowds, more kids
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 04:33 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,295,559 times
I lived in East New York when you heard gun shots and saw gang bangers chasing each others with guns drawn. A gang banger running from the police and throwing his weapon in my friend's clothes at the laundromat. Drug dealing as the kids walked by with their parents. It isn't the best or safest yet. I have however seen the gradual change that new residents bring. Gentrify the hell out of these degenerates. Being poor is not a crime. I empathize with the genuinely disabled and some poor. But these criminal and multiple generations living in the projects or section 8 apartments, goodbye and good riddance. I don't understand the mindset of romanticizing crime and low quality of life. I will take bland ohio flavored neighborhood over filth, grime and crime everyday.

Old 12-13-2016, 04:38 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,927,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I'm in Vegas right now. Plenty of folks I came across here romanticzed about old NYC. According to them, the New, New York City completely sucks. I agree with them. Overall gentrification in NYC has its pors and cons. First off. Only a select few people can benefit from gentrification in NYC. One if you own a business or service, and can adjust your business to the changing market, that business can benefit. Two if you own property in areas close to Manhattan or near Manhattan. One will be able to benefit from increased real estate appreciation. Three having a college degree. Having a college degree in NYC will assest in finding better employment in fields that require a 4 year degree. Mind you, majority of native New Yorkers don't have a college degree, don't own a business or own property.
NYC was never meant to live in for long time. Poor European immigrants built the city, and when they had the money they moved out to the suburbs. In the 80s and 90s, the Blacks and Hispanics who moved up socioeconomically also headed out to the suburbs.

Who wants to live in a run down ****ty apartment permanently or raise a family there if they can help it/

I do think most NYC residents benefit from gentrification. Crime went down, partially because of gentrification. All the people who come in and out of NYC spend money so the service sector does well on that. NYC got much better retail options, including grocery store options.

Old 12-13-2016, 05:31 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,849,265 times
Slow and organic gentrification isn't THAT bad a thing, but hyper sonic speed gentrification is HORRIBLE. Also developer speculative gentrification is obnoxious.

quote:
NYC was never meant to live in for long time.
Another post of yours that I can do nothing but roll my eyes. Seriously?

Old 12-13-2016, 05:48 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,407,147 times
As to the OP's question which opened this thread (asking us all "Has gentrification improved or hurt NYC?"):

The obvious first question to the OP is "From whose perspective is this question to be answered?".

Certainly it has benefited the Donald Trumps and Michael Bloombergs of the world and their like cohort of uber-wealthy persons, along with all the very-affluent trust fund-financed persons, the very-high-paid professionals + and other high-earning semi-professionals and other working and non-working persons who have their very high income & assets however they acquired them, and the very-well-to-do who are the foreign nationals and visitors who moved here altogether or else have second or third (or even more) homes or bases-of-operation here and in other parts of the nation or the world, and so on. Yet not nearly as beneficial or even outright NON-beneficial for everyone else who is below the lot in life that these other priorly-described persons are characterized as.

Although NYC at large is certainly cleaner and prettier to look at in its more-gentrified state-- and arguably safer all-in-all --than it was before it became so "gentrified" over the course of time.

Old 12-13-2016, 05:55 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,608,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
THIS ^^^^^

*waiting for the racist keyboard warriors to storm in and preach how gentrification gets rid of bad people*
You're the only one associating "bad people" with people of color. Asians for instance make up a very sizeable part of the newly wealthy here, as do people directly from Latin America, Arabia and Africa.

Old 12-13-2016, 06:20 PM

783 posts, read 575,371 times
Gentrification has helped certain neighborhoods because it brings down crime (usually) and adds economic plusses, but it's also hurts because many of the people moving in are some of the most annoying people you could ever meet.

Old 12-13-2016, 06:23 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,849,265 times
quote:
but it's also hurts because many of the people moving in are some of the most annoying people you could ever meet.

You couldn't have stated it ANY better.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Slow and organic gentrification isn't THAT bad a thing, but hyper sonic speed gentrification is HORRIBLE. Also developer speculative gentrification is obnoxious.

quote:
NYC was never meant to live in for long time.
Another post of yours that I can do nothing but roll my eyes. Seriously?
NYC was never meant to live in for a long time. Legions of immigrants came in, and those who moved up and who could do better moved to the suburbs OR around the country.

Even today, rental apartments in NYC are not made for people to live in permanent. Luxury rentals cost massive amounts of money per month (4, 5, 7, 7, 8k). Rental apartments for poor people often have horrible conditions. People who are middle class live in neighborhoods where they can buy houses, or they live in co-ops or condos.

Even if gentrification slowed or halted, rents would go up due to inflation. What happens when you retire, especially if you don't have retirement benefits? A lot of old people end up homeless or having to go into some sort of elder housing because they cannot pay the rents.

Renting in NYC is not sustainable all your life.

All those white people you see in NYC suburbs used to be NYC residents who worked their way up. Ditto for homeowners in the outer boroughs, or all those condo and co-op owners in the city. If you can't advance to owning property in NYC at some stage in your life you are going to need an out or you will likely join the ever growing legion of homeless.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:35 PM

I do not feel sorry at all for people who KNOW they could live much more cheaply if they moved to just Jersey, PA, or the lower Hudson Valley. If you want to live in NYC so bad, FINE, pay up what it costs to live. That is YOUR CHOICE, and if that's what you CHOOSE to do, it's up to you do deal with all the consequences.

The real question should be why are people so entitled these days!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City