Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 07:00 AM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,085,244 times

Advertisements

In the Rustbelt where I live they are just getting round to gentrification.

https://danielteolijr.files.wordpres...d-teoli-jr.jpg

Locally the rents have skyrocketed. I'd say it is as good thing except I wonder where the poor people go to live? My state is one of the lowest rated in the country and is getting unaffordable. Don't know if there is anyplace else to move to that would be affordable.

Are you happy with the gentrification process in NYC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 07:08 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Pros: More amenities

Cons: Higher rents/housing costs

Old 12-13-2016, 08:37 AM

174 posts, read 187,807 times
The major con that has come with NY gentrification has been the loss of local character. When people move in from Iowa or wherever the hell they're coming from, it pushes out actual New Yorkers. When the rents go up.. it pushes out community staples, and ushers in another Starbucks. I guess these aren't huge deals in some places, but in NYC it's a pretty big deal. What made NYC so special was the small communities and the diversity, and those are all but lost now. NYC will still be a cultural hub for some time, I'm sure; there are still so many industries and communities that are largely based in NYC, so the cultural hotspots will exist.. but not in the way we ACTUALLY live- it's something you actually have to seek now, whereas in the past you couldn't avoid NYC's inherent cultural diversity.

It really is sad.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:01 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TizOnly1 View Post
The major con that has come with NY gentrification has been the loss of local character. When people move in from Iowa or wherever the hell they're coming from, it pushes out actual New Yorkers. When the rents go up.. it pushes out community staples, and ushers in another Starbucks. I guess these aren't huge deals in some places, but in NYC it's a pretty big deal. What made NYC so special was the small communities and the diversity, and those are all but lost now. NYC will still be a cultural hub for some time, I'm sure; there are still so many industries and communities that are largely based in NYC, so the cultural hotspots will exist.. but not in the way we ACTUALLY live- it's something you actually have to seek now, whereas in the past you couldn't avoid NYC's inherent cultural diversity.

It really is sad.
Umm, the super gentrified neighborhoods tend to have tons of small businesses. I don't see plagues of chain restaurants anywhere other than Midtown Manhattan.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:21 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,288,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Umm, the super gentrified neighborhoods tend to have tons of small businesses. I don't see plagues of chain restaurants anywhere other than Midtown Manhattan.
Yeah and the prices are so high that people go to the boxstores instead. I live in an area that prides itself on small businesses and we have TONS of empty store fronts. You can see this all across NYC - Manhattan and the outer boroughs.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:35 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
In the long run it helps immeasurably. If NYC stayed status quo then it will start to die slowly.

I don't think everybody should live in NYC, there were too many leeches and not enough people paying taxes so now we have more & more people paying taxes.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:01 AM

738 posts, read 585,384 times
It sucks.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:11 AM

857 posts, read 1,200,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TizOnly1 View Post

It really is sad.

THIS ^^^^^

*waiting for the racist keyboard warriors to storm in and preach how gentrification gets rid of bad people*

Old 12-13-2016, 10:20 AM

602 posts, read 1,263,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
Has gentrification improved or hurt NYC?
The answer to that question depends on whether you are a high income earner living in Manhattan (or other expensive area) looking to get more for your money, or you are an average income earner that has been living in a neighborhood for a long time and is slowly getting priced out. Great for one, sucks for the other. There is a balancing act involved.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:51 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Gentrification has definitely changed Prospect Heights for the better in my opinion, from increased amenities and safety to better overall quality of life. I do miss many of the businesses that left/got priced out (I have to consciously go outside of the neighborhood now to find certain favored food items), but the ones that replaced them, while generally more expensive, aren't too bad either. If you were fortunate enough to remain in the neighborhood after gentrification took hold (made more likely if you lived in a rent-controlled building or owned your home), you were able to benefit from the change, as my family has been able to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City