Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2016, 05:21 PM

137 posts, read 160,102 times

Advertisements

I am going to try to be brief.
My sweet child turned into a "bad boy" since starting this new private preK.
something clearly bothers him and I don't know what the triggers are.
Director suggested O.T. to rule out sensory issues BUT she claims the OT offered by the state is not "comprehensive" and suggested us to go private (she actually hinted to go with a specific one she knows who charges $900 for an evaluation rather than the usual $300).
Called my child's pediatrician who was shocked to hear about all this (she doesn't believe my son needs OT) and she said that if she suggests private OT, the school (remember its a private school) should pay for it.
Is that correct info?
Does anybody know? I don't know who to ask. Where to get more info /proof to bring on.

P.s. today I called the State just to inquire about the public OT options and the woman was like:"go on Google, type pediatric OT and find yourself one" .... I was shocked and hung up.
am I dealing with a bunch of unicorn lovers or this is the real life of NY? What's wrong with people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 05:36 PM

11,191 posts, read 9,006,153 times
why don't you take him out of this private k and try another? Test your theory about someone or something that is rubbing him the wrong way at this private K.

Old 12-13-2016, 05:42 PM

Can't move him for various reasons but thought about it. Unfortunately not doable.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:13 PM

Plus private schools don't accept new students mid year. Tried.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:43 PM

3,857 posts, read 3,114,913 times
I believe most private health insurance should cover this free of charge. Our son was diagnosed to be on the "spectrum", and everything was paid for, no charge or co pay to us. This is something you should speak with the pediatrician about, OT as in Occupational Therapy is a medical issue. I would only listen to what the pediatrician has to say about it.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:54 AM

Health first doesn't have any in network pediatric OT in our area (Manhattan, crazy, uh?) so I am trying to get approved for an out of network one but it's taking a lifetime.

As mentioned the pediatrician was shocked and DOESN'T believe my child needs OT. She thinks the school director is crazy and lazy.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:39 AM

79 posts, read 155,049 times
Have you had an IEP evaluation for him? In any case, your pediatrician is most likely right.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:04 AM

Unfortunately I believe that these days schools easily label kids if they don't fall within the restricted behavior they require. Kids are kids. They don't want to put an effort in it and label a kid as "problematic". Kids are not robot, they come in different size, shapes and ... personalities.
I won't allow crazy people to put names on my son.
but this is beyond the point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City