Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 06:25 AM
qwy qwy started this thread

296 posts, read 520,080 times

Advertisements

I am planning on visiting New York city in two weeks and wanted some advice on shopping and fun.

The internet is full of places to shop to get the best designer clothes and fun touristy places to visit but the stores are so pricey and the tourist destinations are so cliche' (outside of the statue of liberty).

I have a feeling that I would be better off asking the locals for advice.

As far as shopping:

So what are some stores I could visit that has great designer clothes but without costing a lot?

For example I saw many places online with $50-$100 being the average cost of just ONE shirt! To me that is a lot for a shirt that I can easily buy a similarly designed look-a-like for $10 at Walmart.

Also I am looking for somewhere that is uniquely New York city; so no GAP or Abercrombie and Fitch. Because why travel all the way to New York city when I can buy the same thing in my own city.

So any suggestions on unique New York city styled clothes at prices under $100?

As for Fun activities or places to visit:

I am not really into night clubs, yet that is the average search results I get when I type in fun things to do in New York city, any suggestions on fun or unique places to visit while there?

I have been to the museum in Washington DC, Paris France, and United Kingdom London, so visiting another museum in New York city would be redundant. I plan on visiting the statue of liberty so there is no need to mention that.

Any suggestions on uniquely fun things to do in New York city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2016, 07:38 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,482 times
Century 21 for discounted designer shopping.

Broadway musical for unique and fun NYC activity.

Those are the first two things that come to mind but I'm sure others will chime in with morw suggestions.

Old 12-18-2016, 08:15 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
You could try UNIQLO for clothing. It's not specifically NYC-only but it doesn't have very many locations within the US. It has pretty low prices and clothing you won't find elsewhere.

Old 12-18-2016, 10:36 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwy View Post
I am planning on visiting New York city in two weeks and wanted some advice on shopping and fun.

The internet is full of places to shop to get the best designer clothes and fun touristy places to visit but the stores are so pricey and the tourist destinations are so cliche' (outside of the statue of liberty).

I have a feeling that I would be better off asking the locals for advice.

As far as shopping:

So what are some stores I could visit that has great designer clothes but without costing a lot?

For example I saw many places online with $50-$100 being the average cost of just ONE shirt! To me that is a lot for a shirt that I can easily buy a similarly designed look-a-like for $10 at Walmart.

Also I am looking for somewhere that is uniquely New York city; so no GAP or Abercrombie and Fitch. Because why travel all the way to New York city when I can buy the same thing in my own city.

So any suggestions on unique New York city styled clothes at prices under $100?

As for Fun activities or places to visit:

I am not really into night clubs, yet that is the average search results I get when I type in fun things to do in New York city, any suggestions on fun or unique places to visit while there?

I have been to the museum in Washington DC, Paris France, and United Kingdom London, so visiting another museum in New York city would be redundant. I plan on visiting the statue of liberty so there is no need to mention that.

Why bother coming at all ? Sounds like you have everything youu need wherever you are .

Old 12-18-2016, 10:40 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Really,

Do your shopping at home. You won't find anything cheaper here.

Old 12-18-2016, 12:33 PM

51 posts, read 62,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwy View Post
I plan on visiting the statue of liberty so there is no need to mention that.

If you like history, I have a few suggestions.

If you're already going to the Statue of Liberty, head on over to Ellis Island. You can spend 2 to 3 hours guiding yourself through the exhibits. They do a great job of showing how they processed so many immigrants every single day.

Also downtown, I like the Tenement Museum. I don't think it's considered a tourist hotspot, but it's definitely worth a visit. They give guided tours through restored apartments that were inhabited by immigrants in the late 19th and early 20th century, with historical information about the actual families that lived there. NYC's version of Colonial Williamsburg, I suppose.

The Intrepid Museum is interesting as well, if you haven't been yet.

Good luck, have fun!

Old 12-18-2016, 12:40 PM

230 posts, read 173,130 times
check out the street vendors on 5th Avenue. They are fun!

Old 12-18-2016, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Why bother coming at all ? Sounds like you have everything youu need wherever you are .
Hi Bluedog2,

I have been to New York city only during stops at the airport but I have never actually explored the city. Well, I did visit your museum when I had a 2 hour layover but I did not see the actual city and that was rushed.

Old 12-18-2016, 03:39 PM

Thank you everyone who has given me advice so far

Old 12-18-2016, 04:01 PM

2 posts, read 3,422 times
For clothes, go to MUJI. They have a flagship store on 40th St and 5th Ave, as well as several others in the city (the full list is [url=http://info.muji.us/store-info/]Store Info | MUJI USA[/url]). It's like Uniqlo but slightly more expensive (and correspondingly higher quality), and with a more overtly Japanese vibe. It's also kind of a lifestyle brand, so they have furniture and housewares in addition to clothes. It's a very organized and relaxing store, especially because they have essential oil diffusers running on demonstration all the time (they cost about $40).

I'm told the Gansevoort is a good fun club, although I'm not into clubbing at all and I've never been there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: