Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2017, 08:59 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Leftism is and SHOULD BE, solely about economic inequality.
and in practice turns into taking from the haves and giving to the have nots, all while enriching themselves in the process and not advancing society or the economy one bit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 11:47 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
The only problem with the left is that it has never achieved any degree of power in the Capitalist-fascist States of America. So all the blather about the evil left is just that: meaningless blather.

Let's try taking 99% of the net worth over $1 million in estate taxes and using it to provide health care and a guaranteed living wage, guaranteed housing, infrastructure rebuilding and see what kind of a society we get.

Old 01-09-2017, 12:27 PM

19,046 posts, read 13,959,968 times
The left should start a real fight for what they want so we can wipe them out once and for all.

Old 01-09-2017, 08:13 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownHillAmerica View Post
It's funny you say this considering I am a white man who has about 400 black co-workers, none of whom I believe are criminals or were criminals. Actually, on second thought, a tiny fraction of them have committed crimes (as might be the case if one were to look at any large group of people of any race), but the thought of any co-worker being criminal never even crosses my mind. Actually, I find many of them likable and quite a few have done right by me.

The reason I would think there are criminals in the town in which I work, that is, outside of work, certainly not all the people living there, are criminals, is because it is a high crime area, as are most predominantly black towns in the inner city.

If a group wants a great reputation to others, then the majority of the group has to behave in a certain way. But to say that white people (implying all of them) believe what you state is asinine.

By the way, many people of other races have a dim view as well.
There are specific reasons why certain groups have exaggerated reputations. The war on drugs certainly locked up a lot of poor Black people. Yet white people were not targeted by the police in large numbers. In fact as white people became more open with marijuana use, it is becoming increasingly LEGAL and states are now bringing in tax revenues.

END the FAILED war on drugs. Legalize them, and legalize prostitution and tax them.

The war on drugs, when it targeted non violent offenders, locked them up in prison. Of course locking up large numbers of people in prison for minor crimes creates a large number of people who are unemployable, who now have criminal records and can't get legitimate work. Then of course they are on the system at this point, which is welfare.

The welfare system also discourages work. Someone on welfare is allowed to earn a certain amount of money. Earn slightly more than that, and they cut of your welfare benefits. So people on welfare will either not work, not work much, or work off the books. The problem with the cut off is that it often isn't enough MONEY to realistically support one's self.

Of course ,and that effects blue collar whites too, offshoring to other countries, and outsourcing regular work to temp agencies has seriously hurt the working class of all races and led to Trump's rise to power.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
The left should start a real fight for what they want so we can wipe them out once and for all.

That has already been accomplished. THe left has no more power in the USA than it did in 1938 Berlin.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:14 AM

55 posts, read 41,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryJayne NYC View Post
I have noticed on a few occasions, when I'm walking on the street or standing in the back of white males, a number of them will always put their hands in their back pant pocket, to "safe guard" their wallet. I'm not sure why it unnerves me, but it does.
Not white, if that matters, but I did this all the time going up to Lehman, going down to Chinatown, when I've been to Honduras or Asia, anywhere crowded. Never really did so when I saw "certain" people - just a paranoid "pat-down" thing you sometimes do to make sure you still have all your stuff on you.

Then I got tired of doing that and started keeping my wallet in my front/coat pocket.

Old 01-10-2017, 04:13 PM

Checking your wallet in a crowd is not a racial thing, but rather a common sense thing.
Wallets should not be kept in back pockets.

Old 01-10-2017, 11:21 PM

916 posts, read 2,246,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryJayne NYC View Post
when I'm walking on the street or standing in the back of white males, a number of them will always put their hands in their back pant pocket, to "safe guard" their wallet. I'm not sure why it unnerves me, but it does.
When I'm walking on the street or standing in the back of black females, a number of them would always
stare at my butt like I'm piece of meat to them. I'm not sure why it unnerves me, but it does. So.. I usually
cover my butt with hands by putting them in the back pockets and pretending I was just reaching for my wallet.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:25 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,101,435 times
Not denying that casual racism exists but other factors could be how people present themselves regardless of ethnicity/race as well as setting/time of day.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydata View Post
When I'm walking on the street or standing in the back of black females, a number of them would always
stare at my butt like I'm piece of meat to them. I'm not sure why it unnerves me, but it does. So.. I usually
cover my butt with hands by putting them in the back pockets and pretending I was just reaching for my wallet.

Can you show ua a picture of these lovely hams?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City