Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2017, 09:33 AM

33,767 posts, read 46,999,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
We aren't all in this together, and to say we are is denying facts on the ground.
Lol you think you're not just screwed as the person on the train next to you? LMAO

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 09:33 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,868,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
Yes racism doesn't exist anymore...just go to comments section of any news stories involving a black person.
Or look at where people live in the city. Notice nice neighborhoods have few Black people, and most Black people in the city only get working class jobs. Any jobs that pay well you'll see comparatively few non whites. So clearly we aren't all it this together, and if we're honest many Black people don't have the chance to earn enough money to live in a nice neighborhood.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
Yes racism doesn't exist anymore...just go to comments section of any news stories involving a black person.
In order for something to exist, it has to get created though....racism was created on purpose, don't you get it? As long as somebody thinks that they're better than somebody else just because, that's what keeps the system going....so keep buying in, you have been doing a great job so far.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Or look at where people live in the city. Notice nice neighborhoods have few Black people, and most Black people in the city only get working class jobs. Any jobs that pay well you'll see comparatively few non whites. So clearly we aren't all it this together, and if we're honest many Black people don't have the chance to earn enough money to live in a nice neighborhood.
Stop chasing fantasies and create your own instead of looking at other people's things. You should change your name to NYMaterialisticNiceNeighborhoodDude.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Who said racism doesn't exist anymore? Stop the "fake news" mindset. I never said that and you know that.
Stay strong, don't fall for the trap

Old 02-09-2017, 09:48 AM

18,922 posts, read 13,809,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Stay strong, don't fall for the trap
Never, you know me.

Of course racism exists, duh. That doesn't mean that certain people aren't pushing an agenda though to keep it alive and well (and growing). That's what I said and Mr. Relaxx knows that. Apparently people fall for bait such as he tossed out there. I don't.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Never, you know me.

Of course racism exists, duh. That doesn't mean that certain people aren't pushing an agenda though to keep it alive and well (and growing). That's what I said and Mr. Relaxx knows that. Apparently people fall for bait such as he tossed out there. I don't.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:50 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,962,092 times
How do you present yourself? Are you wearing a suit and carrying a briefcase? Are you just loitering, 'hanging out' with a few big dudes on a street corner or walking with confidence as though you too have places to go and things to do (non-criminal ones)? Are you looking like a bum - on purpose? Could you characterize yourself as being large and imposing (forget what colour you are - that is NOT the prime criteria to me because I am a smaller older woman - and just about anyone who is larger than I am, if I don't already know them, can feel threatening on some level)?

I tend to shy away from anyone in pants that go down their butts or who generally look like trash. I am probably far more comfortable in a working district - i.e. mostly office buildings with the people on the street in business attire. Is that smart or discriminatory?

I never even notice the colour of someone who approaches me - I care only about my safety and the safety of what I own ... so I look only at general demeanor and overall appearance when I see someone I don't know on the street. There are white and other race gangs out there too you know. It is almost presumptuous to decide that people are only looking at your colour when trying to determine how to keep themselves safe. And in a crowd, I definitely protect what is on my person from everyone because people can get way too close to my 'personal space' in many parts of the city - any city - on even a normal working day.

And, I am not a New Yorker (though I did live in that area for a while and my brother was born there and my grandparents lived on the outskirts for many years) so as a 'tourist' when I am in NYC, I hug my belongings closer in many areas no matter who is around. The whole street scene can be a bit intimidating to those not used to it.

In short, I would not make generalizations pertaining to colour, no matter what yours or mine is .. nor assume that you are the direct cause of people protecting their wallets or purses in NYC or anywhere unless YOU are somehow giving off vibes that you meant to give off to scare the pants off them. Look inside first.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:54 AM

2,678 posts, read 1,692,793 times
Quote:
In order for something to exist, it has to get created though....racism was created on purpose, don't you get it? As long as somebody thinks that they're better than somebody else just because, that's what keeps the system going....so keep buying in, you have been doing a great job so far.
But what I said bears truth. Not talking about racism certainly won't end it or provide a solution.

And if people are tired of hearing about race...they should be doing everything in their power to end racial inequality.

That's the only way the discussion will ever end. EVER.

Old 02-09-2017, 11:04 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,873,246 times
Quote:
As long as somebody thinks that they're better than somebody else just because, that's what keeps the system going....so keep buying in, you have been doing a great job so far.
You don't necessary have to be racist to want to keep some of the privileges you and your family has worked hard to build. Communism as an economy didn't work out so well and capitalism is inherently unequal while driving people to be more productive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City