Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 10:09 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times

Advertisements

How come Cuomo 10 year no tax break programs for business is not helping with population Flux?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 10:10 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Ya,we'll see what happens. Talk is cheap and politicians never do what they say they will do.Get back to me in 4 years with a report.I'll believe it when I see it.
My old man told me this. A politician is a businessman and a businessman is a politician.

Old 12-22-2016, 09:18 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,752,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
The Dude abides...
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man...

Old 12-22-2016, 09:22 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,824,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
How come Cuomo 10 year no tax break programs for business is not helping with population Flux?
Upstate, IMO, will never truly rebound unfortunately. This population loss is not from NYC- NYC is the busiest I've ever seen it. The city gained the population of Buffalo and Syracuse combined in the last 5 years. This to me shows the extreme population loss in the Upstate counties- something nobody is talking about in an honest way.

Old 12-22-2016, 09:26 AM

93,328 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
I'm not surprised. Upstate NY is doing horrible. We'll likely end up like Michigan in a few years.
Michigan is actually rebounding well right now and the population loss was less than 2000 people guys over the last year. I would be careful given what estimates said last decade, but a different story came out in regards to a population gain for the official census.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-22-2016 at 09:50 AM..

Old 12-22-2016, 09:30 AM

93,328 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Upstate, IMO, will never truly rebound unfortunately. This population loss is not from NYC- NYC is the busiest I've ever seen it. The city gained the population of Buffalo and Syracuse combined in the last 5 years. This to me shows the extreme population loss in the Upstate counties- something nobody is talking about in an honest way.
Actually, many Upstate areas again actually showed population GAINS between 2000-2010. The same thing was said about population losses in between due to estimates, but then when the official census came out, there were population gains in 3 of the 4 bigger Upstate metros, with gains in smaller areas like Watertown, Ithaca and Plattsburgh. So, it will depend on the area and official count. That is not me saying this, but something people can look up.

Many of the Upstate counties that lose people are smaller and ironically, Saratoga County has been the fastest growing County in the state. Orange County was before Saratoga County was and may still be second in that regard.

Correction, it appears that Tompkins county has passed Saratoga County in terms of Upstate counties and perhaps for the lead for all counties in the state: http://www.bizjournals.com/albany/ne...wn-in-the.html

More info in regards to 2014 to 2015 county estimates: http://www.nysgis.net/fastest-growin...s-in-new-york/

So, can change from year to year and depending on how you look at this.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-22-2016 at 09:51 AM..

Old 12-22-2016, 09:48 AM

3,672 posts, read 2,751,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man...
This aggression will not stand, man.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:21 AM

602 posts, read 1,263,989 times
There may be a trend here, but a few facts are worth noting:
1) The net population loss for 2015 to 2016 in NY state was 1,900. That isn't a heck of a lot in a state of nearly 20M.
2) NY is definitely still an immigration center, only Florida and California had more foreign immigrants than NY in 2015-2016.
3) NY is definitely still a birth center, only Texas and California had a higher "natural gain" (births minus deaths) in 2015-2016.
That said, facts #2 & 3 make the net population loss, however small, even more notable.

Old 12-22-2016, 11:36 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,824,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, many Upstate areas again actually showed population GAINS between 2000-2010. The same thing was said about population losses in between due to estimates, but then when the official census came out, there were population gains in 3 of the 4 bigger Upstate metros, with gains in smaller areas like Watertown, Ithaca and Plattsburgh. So, it will depend on the area and official count. That is not me saying this, but something people can look up.

Many of the Upstate counties that lose people are smaller and ironically, Saratoga County has been the fastest growing County in the state. Orange County was before Saratoga County was and may still be second in that regard.

Correction, it appears that Tompkins county has passed Saratoga County in terms of Upstate counties and perhaps for the lead for all counties in the state: http://www.bizjournals.com/albany/ne...wn-in-the.html

More info in regards to 2014 to 2015 county estimates: Fastest-Growing Counties in New York | NYS GIS Association

So, can change from year to year and depending on how you look at this.
The question is, how many US citizens left Upstate NY and were replaced with immigrants and refugees? I'd say the number is pretty high but not being reported. 191,000 loss in NYS and NYC gained 375,000 in 5 years. Therefore, the only conclusion that I can come to is that at least 500,000 US citizens left Upstate and were either replaced with immigrants and refugees or weren't replaced at all.

Until someone can come up with those statistics, I'm skeptical of the rest.

Old 01-15-2017, 09:08 PM

22 posts, read 32,393 times
The only thing that will fix Upstate NY at this point is a mile-wide asteroid. I grew up in Endicott NY, once the safest town on earth, is now infested by ghetto welfare blacks from NYC. Same for Binghamton, JC, and numerous other upstate towns.
Add in the high property taxes and low employment. This is what you get from a state run by liberal snowflakes.

The secret to finding a great place to live? Avoid blacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City