Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 07:26 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,150,696 times

Advertisements

Too much TV and chasing that fake dream is correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2016, 07:43 AM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,085,244 times
OP...what is the big deal?

Get a roommate or two

https://www.roommates.com/

Get a privacy bed

https://s7d9.scene7.com/is/image/Bed...2744672p?$478$

Enjoy your stay as long as you can afford it.

When you move away, come back periodically to get your fix of big city life. I got hooked on NYC this year. I could never afford to visit Manhattan until I found out I could camp in Jersey City for $55 a day in a tent or $65 a day sleeping in my car.

https://danielteolijr.files.wordpres...d-teoli-jr.jpg

I was talking to a young broke photog that can't even afford $55 a day for the tent parking spot. I'm advising him how to do it like a bohemian...sleeping homeless style at Grand Central and getting a free pass at the YMCA for a shower. He can take a Greyhound from Philly one way for $10 and panhandle the return trip $ to get back home.

Everybody has their limits OP, just work the best with what you can do.

Old 12-24-2016, 07:49 AM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,085,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
Is this thread real?

Even if not, helps others with the same question.

Old 12-24-2016, 07:56 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,751,190 times
I dont understand how you just found this out lol

Old 12-24-2016, 08:03 AM

12,202 posts, read 7,221,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
Too much TV and chasing that fake dream is correct.
No, not really.

Maybe for a very small percentage of transplants that may be the case but most transplants come because of job and career opportunities.

If the Seinfeld, Friends, and Sex and the City lifestyles were the driving force, then how come LA, Seattle, San Francisco, Boston, Washington DC, are also very expensive as well?

NYC is the largest city and the largest economy in the country (according to GDP, it is the second largest economy in the world, after Tokyo: https://wearetop10.com/top-10-wealth...-world-by-gdp/)

It would be ridiculous to not expect people from coming in. All cities have people coming and going. The largest and most successful ones will have the most. Stagnant, dying cities have less.

Old 12-24-2016, 08:18 AM

12,202 posts, read 7,221,776 times
When the economy grows and is doing well, the cities are the first to see that growth and NYC being the largest in the country is always going to be at the forefront, i.e. gaining lots of jobs. These jobs attract newcomers. They come and need a place to live.

NYC with tight zoning prevents developers from building as much as the need requires. Prices first rise in the most desirable areas of the city, i.e. Manhattan (because people want to live close to their jobs and most jobs in the city are in Manhattan) as a result. As Manhattan get expensive, people will then look for cheaper housing in other boroughs with easy access to Manhattan and so those are the next to get expensive.

The current residents in those neighborhoods that are priced out then move to other cheaper neighborhoods further out, which then displaces the ones there. Have this play out in the entire region and now you have what we are seeing, rents getting expensive all over.

All this because wealthy liberal Manhattanites are NIMBY. When you put a restriction on supply, prices are going to rise. Relax the restrictions and watch prices go down as supply catches up with demand.

Last edited by antinimby; 12-24-2016 at 09:39 AM..

Old 12-24-2016, 11:56 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
"If you can't live with the one you love,
Love the on you're With!"

Old 12-24-2016, 12:40 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,074,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycnyc11209 View Post
Fool. Higher COL is equivelant to higher salaries.
I can gurantee u a position in NYC pays 50K here but 30K in South.
COL and Salary do not always go hand in hand.
I don't think your guarantee is anything other than hypothetical.

Prime Examples :

Post Office has no Salary Differential. Paid same in Manhattan New York as in Manhattan Kansas.

Retail Management- Paid by store volume often. A Manager of a Flagship Macys and a Macys in an A-List
Mall in Dallas make no more than 10% difference in salary.

Teachers in NYC make a good deal less than their suburban cohort where COL is lower.

Low Wage Employees- Counter Service, Baristas, Box Office Employees all make minimum wages in NYC despite a very high COL.

Old 12-24-2016, 01:32 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
No, not really.

Maybe for a very small percentage of transplants that may be the case but most transplants come because of job and career opportunities.

If the Seinfeld, Friends, and Sex and the City lifestyles were the driving force, then how come LA, Seattle, San Francisco, Boston, Washington DC, are also very expensive as well?

NYC is the largest city and the largest economy in the country (according to GDP, it is the second largest economy in the world, after Tokyo: https://wearetop10.com/top-10-wealth...-world-by-gdp/)

It would be ridiculous to not expect people from coming in. All cities have people coming and going. The largest and most successful ones will have the most. Stagnant, dying cities have less.
A big reason people move into Los Angeles is tv as well!

As for NYC being the largest city in the country, that doesn't do the OP any good who just realized he can't have the standard of living he wants here.

I said nothing about people not coming here, but a number of them clearly have very unrealistic expectations, and that was the issue with the OP.

Old 12-24-2016, 03:30 PM

377 posts, read 509,307 times
Why don't you move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City