Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2016, 08:44 AM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,085,471 times

Advertisements

While looking at the Christmas windows I overheard a lady say they have gone downhill.

This is the first year I ever saw them. Have they gone downhill? I thought they were pretty impressive for the most part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2016, 08:51 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,223,380 times
Yes, they have lost lots of the wow factor. I remember as a kid in the late 70's and early 80's, the windows by the large department stores in Manhattan like Macy's, Bloomingdales, Gimbels, etc. were so elaborate and interesting. They usually had a theme and told a story. You would stand there and watch it like it was a show. Nowadays, the displays are simple, abstract types that are not very special or interesting. You just look at them and keep walking by.

Old 12-24-2016, 10:02 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,075,630 times
It's just a design theme. Everything comes and goes.

Design is very unified now. The store windows are seldom unique to each store, but to the entire brand.
Likely designed in Bridgeport CT or Los Angeles CA and printed in the midwest, mailed out to the store to apply.

Old 12-24-2016, 12:05 PM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,085,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Yes, they have lost lots of the wow factor. I remember as a kid in the late 70's and early 80's, the windows by the large department stores in Manhattan like Macy's, Bloomingdales, Gimbels, etc. were so elaborate and interesting. They usually had a theme and told a story. You would stand there and watch it like it was a show. Nowadays, the displays are simple, abstract types that are not very special or interesting. You just look at them and keep walking by.
Is there any photos of them? They must have been something.

Old 12-24-2016, 12:09 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Certainly not the case with the Saks windows this year. Among the best ever.Othe rstores on upper 5th....around 57th.... Like Bergdorf's and Bendel's are also very good. Bloomingdales is the only one that is a real dud but haven't seen Macy's.

Last edited by bluedog2; 12-24-2016 at 12:26 PM..

Old 12-24-2016, 12:27 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,477,629 times
honestly, I don't feel the xmas spirit anymore. I used to be so excited for it. Now its like whatever. materialism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City