Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 04:52 PM

7 posts, read 6,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Yup. The OP could live very well on 41k with a roommate. It honestly amazes me the length some will go to not have a roommate here.
Honestly that's me right now.

My best friend wants to be roommates with me, but he always want to splurge when we go out. Before I know it i'm spending $120 a bar for one night. I don't want our friendship to be affected so I try not to act like i'm interested in his offer. The thought of living with someone I don't know also gives me an uneasy feeling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2016, 04:58 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,073 times
Gotta do footwork to land a rent stabilized studio. An actual studio in an apartment building can be had for $1200 still in this current date and age.

I went building to building and took management number and asked around. First try, $1163 on a 2 year lease, no realtor fee!

We settled on a full 1 bedroom for $1350. You are not getting perfect, but fresh hardwood floors and white paint. I passed up a 1 bedroom with city views so to save $150 a month.

The OP should focus on making more meals, and saving thru automatic pay deductions, both taxed and after tax as well. The fun of going out alot and spending on frivolous things was lost in my early twenties. Having a car note and c/c bills does not feel good,

Amex is a way to better a debt situation. Pay in full every month.

Old 12-25-2016, 05:04 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjon935 View Post
Honestly that's me right now.

My best friend wants to be roommates with me, but he always want to splurge when we go out. Before I know it i'm spending $120 a bar for one night. I don't want our friendship to be affected so I try not to act like i'm interested in his offer. The thought of living with someone I don't know also gives me an uneasy feeling.
Well then it's going to be very hard, but I'm sure you know that.

Old 12-25-2016, 06:01 PM

Do it yourself . The freedom of self dependance, and having company is golden.

What happens when roomates cant pay, wont leave, is an issue, etc. ? Your kind of stuck.

Dont get me started on booty time, one of the reasons you leave your parents house.

Old 12-25-2016, 07:28 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,118 times
Default Very hard...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjon935 View Post
Is there any way to survive on $41,000 a year in NYC?

I still live in my families apartment, but i'm having a hard time finding a place. Is it possible to live off of $41,000 a year ($1,050 every 2 weeks) in NYC?
If I remember correctly, that's after taxes and deductions right? I've made that and even less for years; most of that time I live in my own apt but this was before the rent for basement apartments rose above $1,000. Some years, I lived with roommates. That is likely what you'll have to do. Otherwise, it's extremely hard to live independently. When I lived independently, I had to watch every dime that I spent and I had no money leftover for entertainment and socializing. Fortunately, I had a car and was very involved with my church so my activities revolved around that which was free or very inexpensive. Some people will advise you to move to NJ. I would advise against it because even apts in NJ are now expensive. If you happen to find an inexpensive apts in NJ, it will be in a horribly depressing ghetto neighborhood or far, far away from the city relative to your commute or both. Once you calculate the cost of transportation from NJ to work everyday, or visiting family or coming back to NYC on the weekends, not to mention the time spent on the commute, you'd be better off paying the high rent of NYC and struggling there instead of struggling to live in NJ.

Old 12-25-2016, 07:28 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post

What happens when roomates cant pay, wont leave, is an issue, etc. ? Your kind of stuck.

Dont get me started on booty time, one of the reasons you leave your parents house.
Obviously this is ideal.
But landlords in NYC want the renter to earn per year, 40 X the monthly rent.
So, if you are renting a $1000/month apartment, you will need to have a salary of $40,000/year (about the OP's salary).

Problem is, it's almost impossible to find an apartment in NYC for $1000/month.
One possibility: a studio somewhere in Staten Island.
Again, maybe a studio that's a basement could be found for that price as well.

Old 12-25-2016, 07:33 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,118 times
Default Won't qualify

Quote:
You can make it. Find a studio near the train, the big buildings are rent stabilized. Find a neighborhood with a decent ethnic mix, as the supermarkets have good deals, and there are resonable places to have a good meal.

With a good wifi hook up, you dont realy need cable tv and cell phone plans on a non verizon carrier are cheap.

A fact, Anything a 15 minute radius of the 74th street and roosevelt avenue subway station in queens allows you acess to travel to both airports, every bus system, every transit system in the country. You can also find almost every language spoken in this same radius. And a 20 minute ride into midtown.
OP's salary is too low to qualify for apts in those neighborhoods that you've mentioned. Plus the rent for a studio in that area will take almost all of OP's monthly take home salary. He/she may have a few hundred dollars left over from which all the other bills have to be paid plus money should be put away for savings.

Old 12-25-2016, 07:50 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:

None of those things are big problems. I have booty calls and my roommate is fine. Besides, many people on here are in the reverse situation I'm guessing...as in they didn't get the apartment on their own and moved in with someone who was already living there.

It sounds like the OP's options are roommates or continuing living with their family. In this case, just get a roommate. The OP did say: "is there any way?"

Old 12-26-2016, 09:35 AM

That 40x annual rent can be overcome with a co sign, plus management companies are lax sometimes on the 40x rule, if they dont get enough intrest in the apartment. They wanna rent quick.

I have had a few apartments with no application , just a verbal with the super and sign lease with owner.

Old 12-26-2016, 02:10 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
It is your housing situation that will matter the most. You will have to find as cheap a housing as you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City