Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 02:08 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I live in NJ and work in NYC like many. I prefer having a quiet night sleep without the Fire trucks or Ambulance with loud DJ sirens. There's no competitive shopping or walking in NJ. NJ folks don't cut checkout lines or argue about parking spots. I laugh when people in NYC thinks $2300 rent is a bargain in parts of Brooklyn and that's more than my mortgage payment. I can get to work in NYC faster than many folks who live around the city.
Very happy for you. Stay in NJ while those that enjoy NYC stay in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 02:09 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,702,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Oh I did. Was able to get a company transfer and now reside in beautiful Sarasota Florida. ��

Half the cost of living in NYC with a MUCH better quality of life.
Wait, you are complaining about NYC crime, and you live in Sarasota that has double the NYC crime rate?

Don't be so bitter.

Old 12-29-2016, 02:13 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
My thoughts exactly. There are a few posters here who are just ready to pounce on these type of threads and tell you how NYC is overcrowded, filthy, full of homeless, etc. You have to wonder why they stay.
Money, jobs, and carrying on whatever frauds,scams, or illegal business they have here. My boss who is very similar to Donald Trump always tells me that everybody that lives in NYC is running a scam or two. Which is very true, my relatives are all scamming the government to keep their taxes low.

A big city like this needs a lot of drug dealers to keep the hipsters and transplants sedated.

Old 12-29-2016, 02:17 PM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
I find it funny that all of these NYers are on here saying "oh just you wait....the luster of NY wears off quick and you'll be complaining soon enough blah blah blah".

Meanwhile here in NC...we get hoards of NYers moving here with a glimmer in their eye of how shiny and new and "affordable" everything is....and many go through the same honeymoon phase and then get bitter about everything they miss form home that they find lacking in NC too. Things are too slow, have to drive everywhere, lack of concentration of restaurants/museums/whatever etc. Grass is always greener...until it isn't anymore.

Two sides of the same coin. It isn't most of the transplants on either side who fall into this pattern; but it's a chunk worth noting for sure.

Old 12-29-2016, 02:57 PM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,084,706 times
OP, try Jersey City or Hoboken. Just a few minutes away. Yes, NYC is spectacular, but too much for me for year round living.

You can get a cheap studio in Hoboken and a roommate and should be able to swing the deal.

http://www.apartmentfinder.com/New-J...tments/q/?sr=2

Just get a privacy bed.

https://s7d9.scene7.com/is/image/Bed...2744672p?$478$

You can also go to Newark

https://www.apartments.com/newark-nj/

I stay in Jersey city when I go and take PATH. You can take PATH from all 3 of these NJ cities.

When I was camping out in Jersey City a van from NC was camping next to me. Just a plan, old rusty van mind you...but it had granny, mom, 2 teenage girls a toddler and a dog sleeping it. They asked if I had an old cup to give them for watering the dog! They told me they come every year for a few days to get their big city fix.

They sounded like hillbillies from WV...apparently NC must have some hillbillies as well. They only stayed a few days and left. It ended up costing them about $12.50 per person to camp out in the van. Hillbillies or not, they were good neighbors, they didn't break into my vehicle! I hope to be back in NYC in April. Just got back a few days ago. Yes, nothing like NYC...is there!

Old 12-29-2016, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
I find it funny that all of these NYers are on here saying "oh just you wait....the luster of NY wears off quick and you'll be complaining soon enough blah blah blah".

Meanwhile here in NC...we get hoards of NYers moving here with a glimmer in their eye of how shiny and new and "affordable" everything is....and many go through the same honeymoon phase and then get bitter about everything they miss form home that they find lacking in NC too. Things are too slow, have to drive everywhere, lack of concentration of restaurants/museums/whatever etc. Grass is always greener...until it isn't anymore.

Two sides of the same coin. It isn't most of the transplants on either side who fall into this pattern; but it's a chunk worth noting for sure.

You guys and gals can go back and forth. No law that says you have to stay put. I am from L.A.. Lived there half my life. In '89 it got too expensive for me to live, so moved to the Rustbelt. Now Rustbelt if getting expensive and no place to go. In any case, I used to visit L.A. periodically to get my home town fix. Now I adopted NYC as my 2nd home town, so I will visit NYC instead of L.A.

People get caught up in tunnel vision. It is not all black and white. If you can't afford to live in your dream town, then visit it and live part-time.

Old 12-29-2016, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Money, jobs, and carrying on whatever frauds,scams, or illegal business they have here. My boss who is very similar to Donald Trump always tells me that everybody that lives in NYC is running a scam or two. Which is very true, my relatives are all scamming the government to keep their taxes low.

A big city like this needs a lot of drug dealers to keep the hipsters and transplants sedated.

Stress and $ are 2 big nuts that NYC'ers must crack in order to live there.

Old 12-29-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
I meet people like you all the time that just got here in NYC and haven't got with the program yet. You cannot compare NC with NYC in terms of work conditions. One hour of work in NC is a walk in the park compare to NYC. Of course it depends on what you do entirely however just about anywhere in NYC there are higher expectation and competition than elsewhere. There lots of people who work here for a few years then end up leaving the areas because they're just tired of constant competitiveness and high cost of living here. Which is why there are many NYers in NC, FL, GA because they are tired of what I described.

One does not make a living in NYC, you keep up with NYC that's the right phrase because you always have to make life adjustments. You may live somewhere and end up leaving because of noise, bad conditions, or horrible commute and price.

Some folks say you can live with just a Metrocard but many folks opt to take the expensive routes like taking the LIRR instead of subway because time is more precious.

If you have nothing to lose then NYC could be a good test to see how your skillset fare in this environment. For people who have no relatives or friends here, you stand on the losing end because you will always have to pay the highest market rate for apts and services until you have more connections.

Good summation.

Anyone that is thinking of living in NYC should give it a trial balloon. Don't guess, go live there for a while.

Furnished Quarters > ppc

Old 12-29-2016, 04:55 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,570,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Wait, you are complaining about NYC crime, and you live in Sarasota that has double the NYC crime rate?

Don't be so bitter.
If there's crime here I certainly don't see it. Unless it's happening somewhere other than my immediate neighborhood.

Every city/state/town is going to have its crime ridden neighborhoods. Take a 15 minute drive from hipsterville Williamsburg to Brownsville Brooklyn and see the drastic difference.

I spent 37yrs in NYC. The novelty wore off many years ago. I lived thru the 80's and 90's in some of the roughest neighborhoods. Where I'm at now is like pleasantville compared to the things I've seen and lived thru in NYC.

This last year was what really turned me off. Coming out of the subway by penn station and literally having to step over homeless people. Riding subway cars that smell like death because there's a homeless vagrant sleeping in the car. Not to mention the very poorly run mta system where it's hit or miss and you're lucky if you're train is on time and not delayed while the platform fills up with thousands of commuters. Hopefully you won't get slashed or pushed into the tracks by a psycho!

Trash filled streets that smell horrible. Bumper to bumper traffic if you want to drive or take an uber/taxi somewhere.

Outrageous rent/real estate prices that are just ridiculous for what u get!

Quality of life is going down while prices continue to rise for everything.

Glad I'm gone. Good luck to those looking to make the move.

Old 12-29-2016, 06:07 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
NY is nice to visit on occasion, but I wouldn't want to live there. My family is originally from "the city", I was born and raised on Long Island. The city is a huge pain to get to, and around, and back out of again. Traffic is horrible day and night, mass transit is overcrowded and slow, everything is very expensive. No one cares about anyone. Once the excitement wears off, no one is happy.
But can't you pretty much say that about anyplace? Familiarity breeds contempt.
I have time to hang out in Virginia, Florida and Georgia and although quite lovely and nice I find myself eventually missing NYC and look forward to coming back. It's a nice reprieve getting away but it makes me appreciate my "hometown" (NYC) all the more. There's no place like home to be a tad bit corny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City