Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 06:54 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,855,671 times

Advertisements

And before anyone screams at me, what do you think the 80-90% that never graduate do?! It can't be because of the remedial classes that so many people have to take? College is EASIER than high school! It's a gravy train until one can get knocked up sans father. sad, but true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 07:56 PM

5,121 posts, read 4,969,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Whos going to pay for this? Also, will having free public college will further ruin CUNY and SUNY reputation?
Let the "filthy" rich pay for this, by "force" if needed be.
if properly designed, a merit-based free college system may serve as an incentive to attract all top NY students who will in turn help to shape and build the reputation of NY state colleges. QC control is of utmost importance. once the reputation is out there, the NY college system will lure more international rich students who are willing and able to pay for any price for the reputation they seek. The tution revenue can then be used to reinvest in public education.

Last edited by leoliu; 01-03-2017 at 08:08 PM..

Old 01-03-2017, 08:05 PM

19,042 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notinpa View Post
Why is it OK for people who have earned thier money , to be forced to pay for people who did not ?
Because liberalism is a mental disorder.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:06 PM

19,042 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
Oh yeah we wouldn't want to invest It on our children or their future anything, much wiser to build more bombs!

Btw all of you who commented about how this will result in a raise in your taxes, you clearly have never been too poor to afford your education and struggled to pay $50,000 or $100,000 in student debt just so you could work on a profession that paid you a living wage. Rich mommy and daddy paid for your education so no one wants to hear your sob story about how the taxes on your yacht and mansion might go up
I can't wait until we're at war with people like you. It's coming.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:32 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Let the "filthy" rich pay for this, by "force" if needed be.
if properly designed, a merit-based free college system may serve as an incentive to attract all top NY students who will in turn help to shape and build the reputation of NY state colleges. QC control is of utmost importance. once the reputation is out there, the NY college system will lure more international rich students who are willing and able to pay for any price for the reputation they seek. The tution revenue can then be used to reinvest in public education.
Good luck with that one. I can just imagine the news headlines on how the racial makeup don't reflect NY.

As for free public colleges for the low and middle income I think this is much better than spending a billion+ to lay a mile of subway for people who already have access to a subway line. $150mil a year is chump change. I'm saying this as a NYC and NYS tax payer who's kids would never qualify for this due to income limits. Also keep in mind that this program is geared towards the middle class since low income folks already go to CUNY and SUNY tuition free. These are the working folks who make too much to qualify for gov't freebies, but make too little to live nicely. It's about time tax dollars get handed back to some of those that pay taxes.

Now if only we first get rid of the US government Indian jobs program (H1B) so that these kids can get a decent paying job when they graduate.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:12 PM

1,660 posts, read 1,209,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
This, for sure.

Don't let in people with crappy test scores who are only good at being charismatic in interviews, don't give an excess of useless degrees, etc... CUNY (and to a lesser extent, SUNY) don't have particularly good reputations, although they are improving, at least in the fields I pay attention to. Don't let that slip away.
you think colleges are going to try to make standards higher after free tuition passes?

colleges only see $$$

if getting a bigger slice of that taxpayers money means admitting more students

college will just be dumbed down and become the next high school

everyone will attend and get a degree which will become lower in value.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:16 PM

983 posts, read 931,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
you think colleges are going to try to make standards higher after free tuition passes?

colleges only see $$$

The things described in the above post are what I'm worried about (and I think the worries are not baseless, based on what happened to CUNY in the 70s/80s). I definitely think that people who deserve (based on test scores, grades, interest in academic subjects, etc) who cannot afford to pay should have some way of government-funded tuition, but not for EVERYONE, because then it becomes a worthless paper diploma mill

Old 01-03-2017, 10:24 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
And before anyone screams at me, what do you think the 80-90% that never graduate do?! It can't be because of the remedial classes that so many people have to take? College is EASIER than high school! It's a gravy train until one can get knocked up sans father. sad, but true.
Real college isn't. The colleges where students just use financial aid as welfare are ****ty two years colleges like the CUNY Community College. At any private university, student loans are way too expensive for students to just carry on and not graduate. So graduation rates are higher as they get more serious students.

Old 01-03-2017, 10:27 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post

colleges only see $$$

Only the public colleges will be free.

Keep in mind this is NYS and NYC. You know NYC is a sanctuary city. I bet public collegess here will have to take in large numbers of students, regardless of whether or not they even have the English language skills to do college level work (or regardless of whether they can do any college level work). There goes CUNY and SUNY reputation, which have not been that good in a long time as they never fully recover from the disasters of the 70s and 90s.

Old 01-03-2017, 11:17 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,886,510 times
makes no sense. i'm against it. forgive student loan debt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City