Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2017, 06:25 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times

Advertisements

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...ghborhoods-nyc

I'm originally from Jackson Heights, and I still go there. Notice they mention the increase in wealthy renters is from 130 families to 400 families.

That's nowhere NEAR enough to make Jackson Heights a wealthy neighborhood, and let's just say they won't be getting high end retail anytime soon.

I posted this article to show how desperate media outlets are to claim that EVERY neighborhood in NYC is about to supergentrify. Look at the figures they used. From 130 to 400 families? That's a drop in the BUCKET!

Now Midtown West near Hudson Yards, already some of the new office buildings are open, one can walk to work in those builds or walk to Midtown, and Hudson Yards is next to two transportation hubs, Penn Station and Port Authority. The Javitz Center is there and the new station on the 7 train opened up. Of course that area has valuable real estate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 06:53 AM

555 posts, read 617,324 times
That's only covering renters?

I'd say that's a pretty huge jump for JH if it's just for renters. JH is very coop heavy, so I think most "wealthy" people that go to JH are going there to buy a coop, not to rent. The rental market in JH is very underwhelming and limited.

Old 01-05-2017, 01:52 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
I don't agree with the definition of wealthy ($150K for household income). That is not wealthy!!

Also, the zip code they are calling Jackson Heights is not Jackson Heights IMO. The article refers to 11370. Jackson Heights proper, which includes all the historic district where some 3 bedroom apartments are selling for $1 million, is 11372. All of 11370 is on the opposite side of Northern Blvd.

I agree with Eddie that the people with more means who are moving to Jackson Heights (and there are quite a few of them) are buying, not renting. It's not much of a renter's neighborhood. There is a small amount of high end retail but that seems to be coming slowly. Lockwood opened last year, Pauglina just opened and Swim Two Birds should be opening within a few months.

Old 01-05-2017, 04:53 PM

5 posts, read 8,355 times
In middle class(and even upper middleclass neighbourhoods) areas in all boroughs the median household income is far less than 150k a year . 150 k a year would be top tier in every borough of new york city and the country . For me is 150 ka year wealthy but not really rich . I make 32 k a year working full time 40 hours a week after being at the same job for 12 years

Old 01-05-2017, 08:33 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,073 times
There is the strip of buildings offering 3 bd apartments at $750k! That is 2 blocks to 74th and roosevelt. Great location for those 34th street north.

I would say average salary for 2 income household at $80 - $120 k per year. But there are older professionals coming and needing that quick commute, 2 household incomes way over $150k /year.

As long as the hipster crap doesent come, which is not happening soon due to too much culture already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City