Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 07:51 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Wow...I'm sorry you are so incredibly bitter. So very many of your posts on this forum are bitter and angry and almost always directed at couples and/or families. The fact that you are so anti family is incredibly disturbing.

People usually rent or buy what they can afford. In the case of a couple living in a studio, it's probably because that's what they can afford. Or if they can afford to pay more, perhaps they don't want to because they are trying to save money for something else: house, wedding, grad school. Some people (yes even couples) are also just fiscally conservative and go with the "only what we need" mentality. So for some, that might be a studio.

What about to opposite? Singles or couples that have larger apartments than necessary? In the case of my condo building, I know a few childless gay couples that bought larger units. This was in 2012/2013 when 2 bed condos in Bed Stuy were under $500K. I also know of childless singles that bought large apartments too (duplexes, one beds with dens and 2 beds... all when you could get such non income restricted places for $300K- $500K). Is the same selfishness to be directed towards them? Shouldn't those large places be "reserved" for families? Or are these singles/childless couples financially savvy in thinking about longer term ROI?

Seriously, your comment is ridiculous. There are many justified reasons why people live where they live. You're just lashing out because you're bitter and angry.
Exactly, but he is going too far. This forum is not his personal vomit piece. I think the mods need to step in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 05:41 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,479,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
The scary thing is that 1100 is SOOOOOOOOO much different than 1300. At the lower level anyone making under 50K is okay, but with the 1300 dollar mark? ugh. not so much, and not many jobs are paying 50K anymore so everyone has to grossly couple up if they want to stay in this city to live in a studio or a one bedroom? gtfoh something has to budge at some point. It does suck that section 8 pays up to 1500 dollars for a one bedroom. I think THAT needs to stop, stat. When landlords would prefer to rent to a section 8 tenant who has a voucher for up to 1500 dollars for a one bedroom, what do you think the tier is going to be on those one bedrooms even in ****ty areas? 1500 dollars :/ it's so messed up.
Wow! It is up to $1500 now. That is insane. You need to make $60,000 to afford $1500 per month for rent. I am so glad that my apartment complex requires a specific salary and good credit to qualify.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:28 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,355,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
A month or two ago I found 1BRs in The Bronx for 1150
You can still find 1BR's in the Bronx for $1150. They just happen to be located in the one of the last few, true hoods in NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
So you checked for me.....thanks
That's not how it's supposed to work. lol
It only took a few minutes to verify. I see you're a student of the internet.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:37 AM

55 posts, read 41,532 times
It's a good area. I'm fortunate enough to live and own in a single family detached mere blocks from the malls/stations...and get to eat not only the best Thai (and South-East-Asian) but Indian/Nepalese/etc food you'll have outside of SEA (and I've eaten there for comparison) is here (I'm including JH which isn't a far walk/subway trip/ride). 'Scuse my thinly veiled humblebrag, yo. Grew up and still have roots in W'msburg (folks are still there), but would never consider ranking the latter higher on any livability metrics than Elm.

Area is full of hard working, low key, no BS people who aren't pretentious, noisy, rowdy, or ill-mannered. That's everyone I've encountered - Moroccans, Asians, Hispanics, etc the same can be said of the more staid/conservative/quiet Poles and Italian hold-outs over in Maspeth.

Between first renting and now owning, been here 8+ years now....love it. People are finally realizing it's been highly over-looked. Developers plopped down a spate of new condo's along Queens blvd, but no one on the side streets is in any rush to leave, so at the moment we've got a good balance between new multi-unit development on the thoroughfares, and the side streets remaining leafy and low-rise.

So yeah, go for it at 1300, totally. Save up, and buy somewhere local down the line. Stay and be a good resident.

Last edited by Dhraiden; 01-10-2017 at 10:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: