Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2017, 11:42 AM

34,081 posts, read 47,278,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
You make a valid point. I had no business spending $18 for lunch two days in a row and spending $6 on ice cream. I actually spent $9. I guess that is why I started this thread. There is certainly a difference between need and want. I need to get it together.

I am no longer satisfied with my grocery store. I am going walk down a little further. Hopefully the prices are lower and offer more options. It is too late for this week. I am going start bringing my lunch the following week. I eat either tuna or a meatball sub at Subway. I guess I could make that at home and bring it in for lunch. What fun. I don't want to spend more than $300 a month for food. I guess this is what I am going to have to do to make this happen.
Aww...I don't think you need to get it together....I think you have it together already as a responsible person by even starting the thread. Majority of us are going thru it man....just wanted to say that I understand where you're coming from

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 11:51 AM

130,210 posts, read 12,093,129 times
Quote:
You make a valid point. I had no business spending $18 for lunch two days in a row and spending $6 on ice cream. I actually spent $9. I guess that is why I started this thread. There is certainly a difference between need and want. I need to get it together.

I am no longer satisfied with my grocery store. I am going walk down a little further. Hopefully the prices are lower and offer more options. It is too late for this week. I am going start bringing my lunch the following week. I eat either tuna or a meatball sub at Subway. I guess I could make that at home and bring it in for lunch. What fun. I don't want to spend more than $300 a month for food. I guess this is what I am going to have to do to make this happen.
If we want a tuna sandwich for lunch, we pack the tuna in a small container & the bread separate, I find, if the tuna is on the bread for a few hours it gets soggy, it is simple to assemble the sandwich when you are ready to eat. One can of tuna will probably make enough for two sandwiches so you will be saving money. Good luck, you can do this.

Old 01-21-2017, 12:38 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,481,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
If we want a tuna sandwich for lunch, we pack the tuna in a small container & the bread separate, I find, if the tuna is on the bread for a few hours it gets soggy, it is simple to assemble the sandwich when you are ready to eat. One can of tuna will probably make enough for two sandwiches so you will be saving money. Good luck, you can do this.
Thanks for the advice. I am trying to figure how to make this food tasty. What do you put in your tuna?

I like your name.

Old 01-23-2017, 07:23 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
OP,

First step is admitting you have a problem. You seem to have done that. You are working on step 2, quantifying the problem.
Step 3 awaits: fixing the problem.

Old 01-23-2017, 04:00 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,481,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
OP,

First step is admitting you have a problem. You seem to have done that. You are working on step 2, quantifying the problem.
Step 3 awaits: fixing the problem.
I am really trying. Food is my thing. I just can't afford to eat out so often. Thank you.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:18 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Quote:
I am really trying. Food is my thing. I just can't afford to eat out so often. Thank you.

I think most of us would choose to eat out for every meal but finances stand in the way. But we just have to force ourselves to prepare our own food bought at reasonable prices.
In addition to cutting out EATING out, we perhaps need to give Whole Foods, Fairway, D'Agostino's and Gristedes a wide berth.

Hell, I am 25 pounds overweight. I should give ALL food sources a wide berth.

Boo Hoo...my very reasonable FRESH fish counter at Cherry Value (101st & Second Ave) closed, probably due to lack of demand. The fish monger had been personally picking up fresh fish every morning at Hunt's Point and driving it down. The fish was always superbly fresh and reasonable.
Prices at Whole Foods and Fairway for fresh fish are PREPOSTEROUS, at least with my budget.

My option for fish now is Chinatown but the trip is too far...although the Q train to Canal is worth some thinking. Trouble is that my auto-pilot takes me to Wo Hop's or Nice Green Bo for lunch and there goes my need for fresh fish that day.

Old 01-24-2017, 11:10 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,288,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I think most of us would choose to eat out for every meal but finances stand in the way. But we just have to force ourselves to prepare our own food bought at reasonable prices.
In addition to cutting out EATING out, we perhaps need to give Whole Foods, Fairway, D'Agostino's and Gristedes a wide berth.

Hell, I am 25 pounds overweight. I should give ALL food sources a wide berth.

Boo Hoo...my very reasonable FRESH fish counter at Cherry Value (101st & Second Ave) closed, probably due to lack of demand. The fish monger had been personally picking up fresh fish every morning at Hunt's Point and driving it down. The fish was always superbly fresh and reasonable.
Prices at Whole Foods and Fairway for fresh fish are PREPOSTEROUS, at least with my budget.

My option for fish now is Chinatown but the trip is too far...although the Q train to Canal is worth some thinking. Trouble is that my auto-pilot takes me to Wo Hop's or Nice Green Bo for lunch and there goes my need for fresh fish that day.
There is nothing wrong with Whole Foods. We shop there regularly, and both my girlfriend and I are perfectly happy being the store brand. We buy organic products at reasonable prices, and splurge on more high-end specialty items. We also take turns preparing dinner and then we take left overs for lunch. I used to eat out regularly at select organic eateries, but find that I save a lot of more money with the current set up. Eating out is usually saved for the weekend or when we don't feel like cooking. I still go out for coffee and other snacks.

Old 01-24-2017, 02:40 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
There is nothing wrong with Whole Foods. We shop there regularly, and both my girlfriend and I are perfectly happy being the store brand. We buy organic products at reasonable prices, and splurge on more high-end specialty items. We also take turns preparing dinner and then we take left overs for lunch. I used to eat out regularly at select organic eateries, but find that I save a lot of more money with the current set up. Eating out is usually saved for the weekend or when we don't feel like cooking. I still go out for coffee and other snacks.
It depends what you mean by reasonable prices- what may be reasonable to you may be extravagant to others.

Old 01-24-2017, 03:31 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Whole Foods is outrageously expensive. I shop there pretty often, but it's not cheap.

Old 01-24-2017, 03:54 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,288,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
It depends what you mean by reasonable prices- what may be reasonable to you may be extravagant to others.
Well for organic, local produce and other organic goods, it is very reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Whole Foods is outrageously expensive. I shop there pretty often, but it's not cheap.
What do you call "outrageously expensive"? I shopped there the other day and did just fine price wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City