Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 08:53 AM

8,650 posts, read 11,028,241 times

Advertisements

They should charge $1 for plastic bags in NYC. When I was in the west coast, it was pretty normal for consumers to carry reusable bags. People get use to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 09:08 AM

12,751 posts, read 8,219,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
They should charge $1 for plastic bags in NYC. When I was in the west coast, it was pretty normal for consumers to carry reusable bags. People get use to it.
Apparently the elderly and the poor don't though... That's what politicians argued to shoot down the plan. Some how we cook chicken and other meats in our homes and we can clean down the countertops, but we can properly clean reusable bags? What a load of nonsense. Some communities have been receiving FREE reusable bags, so there really isn't an excuse.

Old 01-24-2017, 09:29 AM

602 posts, read 1,260,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Apparently the elderly and the poor don't though...
Well, the poor were exempt, anyone paying for groceries with food stamps wouldn't have to pay the fee. Those elderly fat cats were on the hook though.

Old 01-24-2017, 09:34 AM

12,751 posts, read 8,219,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daaver View Post
Well, the poor were exempt, anyone paying for groceries with food stamps wouldn't have to pay the fee. Those elderly fat cats were on the hook though.
On the hook for what? In my neighborhood, we received FREE reusable bags. I already had mine anyway so I didn't bother to use them. I'm not sure what's so difficult about bringing a few reusable bags with you. Most people walk around with some sort of bag anyway.

Old 01-24-2017, 11:45 AM

8,650 posts, read 11,028,241 times
When I was in Target out in California, for 10 cents, there is a really nicer plastic bag that is reusable at least 2-4x...nicer than the free plastic bag from the Target in NY.

I saw a lot of low income people in California carrying their items with no bags. As I said, everyone eventually adjust to the bag fee/tax.

Old 01-24-2017, 05:33 PM

63 posts, read 37,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post

Spoken as a true dictator!

Old 01-24-2017, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
On the hook for what? In my neighborhood, we received FREE reusable bags. I already had mine anyway so I didn't bother to use them. I'm not sure what's so difficult about bringing a few reusable bags with you. Most people walk around with some sort of bag anyway.

“Most people”; PROVE IT!

Old 01-24-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:

There are poor people just above the food-stamp cutoff point.

Old 01-24-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
aim higher people... plastic bags will save Earth. (of course it will!) considering 1/2 the globe is now being developed and being WORSE than we ever were with out output, and having 1/2 the globe being 1000x our population? :/ we are screwed, but at the same time, Earth deserves it. being mad at people who use plastic bags for dog poop is so misguided and disingenuous.

go after the real culprits of global warming.. the developing world!

“aim higher”, Aquarius37

Solve the problem democratically, NOT dictatorially.

Old 01-24-2017, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Well, that said, it could still conceivably happen. Blocking it passed the Senate (36-22), it is likely to pass the Assembly, but Cuomo could decide not to sign it. He hasn't weighed in with his thoughts yet to my knowledge. Given his current hate-hate relationship with de Blasio though...

Obviously we must write/email our Assemblymen and Gov. Cuomo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City