Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 03:33 PM

63 posts, read 38,129 times

Advertisements

NYC Bag Tax is scheduled to take effect on February 15, 2017 unless our elected legislators (BOTH state and city) hear from their electorate.

Moreover, each politician who voted for or signed the NYC Bag Tax needs to be voted out of office and never voted into another office.

Rather than infringe on the convenience of their constituency and to "dictate" this lunacy on the electorate, they should have put it up for a referendum on the next Election Day, especially since it is so controversial.

After all, we are a democracy, not a dictatorship!

California has propositions on the ballot.

In the past, New York had propositions on the ballot.

No proposition on the ballot for such a controversial issue is simply dictatorial.

Moreover, tell the do-gooders not to impose their dubious values on others but rather to put their money where their mouth is by financing research to develop a man-made biodegradable bag which NYC would then legislate that this bag must be used. This is capitalism at its best where everyone is free to develop their own biodegradable bag.

Regardless of one's political affiliation, we should all unite in a coalition to vote the dictators out of office.

For example, as a life-long Democrat, I would vote for a Republican if he/she promised to repeal the Bag Tax. Of course, I would vote for a Democrat who likewise promised to repeal the Bag Tax. Repealing the Bag Tax by either party is the criterion.

What Trump and Sanders did on the national scene, we likewise need to shake up local politics as well!

Therefore, if the Republicans were prudent and wished to crack the Democratic Party's grip on NYC, they should find liberal Republicans (Jacob-Javits type) as councilmen and a mayor, all who would campaign to repeal the Bag Tax; and the Republican Party should strike the hammer now while it's still hot. Perhaps, then, NYC would not be taken for granted by the Democrats; let the Bag Tax be their
Waterloo. This is the Republicans' unique opportunity in New York. For, once a Republican gets elected and becomes popular; he is re-electable for the same or other positions; it is an entrée into the New York political scene. The Bag Tax is the Republican's gateway to penetrate the Democratic stronghold.

Technically, it is not a bag tax but rather a bag price. Though, in a recession, government may set a price/wage freeze on existing prices and wages, is it constitutional for government to force private business to charge a new price for an item in a free capitalistic country or does only supply-and-demand set the price in a free economy? Perhaps, one should take it to federal court to find out.

Though the new bag price may destroy impulse shopping and encourage those who live on the periphery of the city to do their shopping in the nearby suburbs, this is NOT a discussion of the merits or lack thereof of the bag tax/price.

Rather, in a democracy, the mayor and the members of the city council are our hired-hands who we "hired" on Election Day and should be "fired" at their next Election Day for failure to check such an all-encompassing, highly controversial issue with their bosses through a REFERENDUM. If they can convince their bosses, then we should have it; that is called democracy. Frankly, in lieu of a referendum, hearings for such an all-encompassing highly-controversial issue won't cut it with the average citizen who is too busy with work and family and has no time to micromanage his hired-hands; whom he thought he could trust. For, any hired-hand should always "directly" check with his boss any controversial or doubtful item to ensure that he won't be fired over it.

If our elected hired-hands can't understand this, then fire them at their next Election Day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 04:04 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,071,903 times
Just call it racist and they'll remove it.

Million dollar studies will be conducted on how a regressive bag tax hurts at-risk minorities more than anyone.

Old 01-15-2017, 04:09 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,853,248 times
Well, it's definitely a tax on dog owners who use their plastic bags to remove their dogs poop off the streets. Whatever though, I have been HOARDING by quadrupling the amount of plastic bags I self bag anything in at the supermarket. One can of soup!? Four bags! It's also a tax on the homeless as many of them use these bags AS THEIR SHOES!

Old 01-15-2017, 04:18 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,276,375 times
I support the tax because quite frankly people abuse them. I actually purchased a few American made organic hemp bags and carry one with me when I need to pick up a few items. Does the job wonderfully not to mention that they're much sturdier than those cheesy plastic bags that require doubling or tripling. I wash my bags as needed. Even with me turning down bags I still haven't found a need for any and use them for garbage. It's all about changing your habits. People who claim that they NEED plastic bags are too attached to them. We can all use less of them for sure.

We can look at how few Metrocards we see now that there's a $1.00 fee as an example of what people claim they NEED and what they really don't need.

Old 01-15-2017, 04:37 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,853,248 times
You are a higher human being than us, obviously.

Old 01-15-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I support the tax because quite frankly people abuse them. I actually purchased a few American made organic hemp bags and carry one with me when I need to pick up a few items. Does the job wonderfully not to mention that they're much sturdier than those cheesy plastic bags that require doubling or tripling. I wash my bags as needed. Even with me turning down bags I still haven't found a need for any and use them for garbage. It's all about changing your habits. People who claim that they NEED plastic bags are too attached to them. We can all use less of them for sure.

We can look at how few Metrocards we see now that there's a $1.00 fee as an example of what people claim they NEED and what they really don't need.

“It's all about changing your habits.”

EXACTLY. - That is the reason a referendum is REQUIRED of those you want to change their habits!

This is still a democracy!

Moreover, one carries in his pocket a metrocard whether it is new or renewed wherever he goes. One does NOT carry shopping bags with him wherever he goes. You are comparing apples and oranges!

Furthermore, Aquarius37 reply to your post, pierrepont7731, is: “You are a higher human being than us, obviously.”

Old 01-15-2017, 05:16 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,276,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a New Yorker View Post
“It's all about changing your habits.”

EXACTLY. - That is the reason a referendum is REQUIRED of those you want to change their habits!

This is still a democracy!

Moreover, one carries in his pocket a metrocard whether it is new or renewed wherever he goes. One does NOT carry shopping bags with him wherever he goes. You are comparing apples and oranges!

Furthermore, Aquarius37 reply to your post, pierrepont7731, is: “You are a higher human being than us, obviously.”
Actually there are plenty of places where people carry bags with them, and I already see plenty of people using recyclable bags, so your analysis is completely wrong. Most people already carry a bag of some sort to and from school or work, so putting a recyclable bag or two in that bag is not that unheard of or difficult. You're making every excuse under the sun as to why it's okay to abuse the use of plastic bags.

Old 01-15-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Actually there are plenty of places where people carry bags with them, and I already see plenty of people using recyclable bags, so your analysis is completely wrong. Most people already carry a bag of some sort to and from school or work, so putting a recyclable bag or two in that bag is not that unheard of or difficult. You're making every excuse under the sun as to why it's okay to abuse the use of plastic bags.

“Most people” - You are completely WRONG unless you can cite specific statistical studies that can verify your generalizations. In fact, to the contrary, some state legislators conducted surveys on their respective websites which support public opposition to it.

“every excuse” – If one is able to carefully read my messages, not even one “excuse” or reason for “the use of plastic bags” was given by me. Rather, I said: “tell the do-gooders not to impose their dubious values on others but rather to put their money where their mouth is by financing research to develop a man-made biodegradable bag”.

Old 01-15-2017, 06:01 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,355,182 times
Who cares. As online delivery grows, bags will become irrelevant.
Also, it might prevent the immigrants and Babushka's from hoarding bags as if they're made of gold.

Old 01-15-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Who cares. As online delivery grows, bags will become irrelevant.
Also, it might prevent the immigrants and Babushka's from hoarding bags as if they're made of gold.

You are talking about the demise of food stores and shopping centers. It won’t happen anytime soon and probably never. Americans want the freedom to shop.

Your anti-immigrant comments are not worth addressing and are irrelevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City